Cost of new bathroom installation - is this fair?

Options

Comments

• andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just been quoted £500 to take out my existing bath, sink and toilet and replace with a new one which I have brought myself from B and Q for £199. Its a straight swop - everything is going into the same position. I need to get someone else in to do the tiling, but i still recon thats a good price based on what I have read on this thread!!

i normally charge £400- and im in and out in 5 hours, no flexi pipes and no hep2

save a little more cash and get a better quality suite otherwise you will be re-doing your bathroom within a few years
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would think theye had their Bathroom suite installed by now-it was first posted on 03/06
  • BARGAINHUNTER!
    Options
    andyhop wrote: »
    i normally charge £400- and im in and out in 5 hours, no flexi pipes and no hep2

save a little more cash and get a better quality suite otherwise you will be re-doing your bathroom within a few years

Whereabouts in the country are you? Is there a big quality difference in a suite from b and q costing £199 and £400?
    MFW 2011 challenge - Aim: Overpay £414.26 a month/£5,000 a year. Overpayment Total to date: £414.26:jMortgage start 28/9/07 £46,217.00 :TMortgage balance as of 25/05/11 £24,490.58 :T
    Interest saved as of 25/05/11: £2,849.84 Projected term reduction as of 25/05/11: 9 years 11 months
  • andyhop
    Options
    Whereabouts in the country are you? Is there a big quality difference in a suite from b and q costing £199 and £400?

edinburgh

try your local pts, there do trade suites with good quality brassware

places like b&q, plumbworld etc i have had too many bad experiences with

most bathrooms will have ideal standard, armitage shanks or twyfords suites fitted and these are designed to last 20++ years, i doubt a cheap b&q suite would last a 1/4 of this before needing replacement
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • wako777
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been quoted today £300-£350 to remove old bath and install new one (slightly different size which may require adjustment at one end), fit new taps to bath, fit new taps to basin, remove old tiles and re-tile around bath to ceiling.
    I have already puchased the taps, bath and tiles but my man is supplying the adhesives,grout and drain/plug/overflow bits for the bath.
    Is this a good price as I have never had any work carried out in my bathroom before??
    Any comments would be appreciated
    Wako (I live in Norfolk by the way)
    Wako777:j
    Win £2008 in 2008 wins so far 0:o
  • andyhop
    Options
    wako777 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have been quoted today £300-£350 to remove old bath and install new one (slightly different size which may require adjustment at one end), fit new taps to bath, fit new taps to basin, remove old tiles and re-tile around bath to ceiling.
    I have already puchased the taps, bath and tiles but my man is supplying the adhesives,grout and drain/plug/overflow bits for the bath.
    Is this a good price as I have never had any work carried out in my bathroom before??
    Any comments would be appreciated
    Wako (I live in Norfolk by the way)

Way too cheap, have you seen this persons work

material alone for good quality adhesives,grouts and new plumbing fittings will be around £100

Cheap jobs are cheap for a reason
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Options
    andyhop wrote: »
    Way too cheap, have you seen this persons work

material alone for good quality adhesives,grouts and new plumbing fittings will be around £100

Cheap jobs are cheap for a reason

And I totally agree.....;)
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • You can't go wrong. bathroom-vanities.co.uk
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Bathroom Vanities - you have been reported for spam.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • ourhandyman
    ourhandyman Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 31 January 2010 at 12:25PM
    Options
    I would think a job of this size would cost around £2500.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure