Cost of new bathroom installation - is this fair?

Options

Comments

• pie_eater_3
    Options
    ListysDad wrote: »
    My goodness a Time Travel Forum. £100 a day for a proper plumber! Where do you live, Afganistan!?

Even labourers I know earn £140 a day in this climate. Sounds to me like it's cash to someone off a site looking to make ends meet. We'll pray for you when stuff starts falling apart...

For an 18 hour day maybe......
  • Billy_two_speakers
    Options
    raymond wrote: »
    Why would he want or need to be a registered electrician ???

It does sound very very expensive tho

because now electrics come under planning regs and the electrian also has to have the work signed off
    The 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations redefined the zones for electical equipment in bathrooms and must be used for installations designed after 30th June 2008. They are now identified from 0 to 2, with 0 being the wettest - the previous zone 3 is no longer defined.

http://www.diydata.com/electrics/bathroom_electrics/bathroom_electrics.php
    In London, you're never more than 20 feet away from someone telling you you're never more than 20 feet from a rat .
  • Pammy
    Pammy Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    theexten wrote: »
    zareer wrote: »
    Hi, I am having a new bathroom suite installed and I have a quote for the work. Basically, the quote is for ripping out the existing tiles and bath/toilet/sink and installing a new 3pc bathroom suite, tiling the floor and part of the wall and repainting the whole area.

The full quote is:

Remove old suite and tiles
    Plaster all walls to make good
    fit new bath and taps
    fit new toilet and cistern
    fit new basin and taps
    fit new built in thermostatic shower
    fit new shower screen
    fit new chrome towel rail
    Fit marine plywood to floor and screw at 150mm centres with stainless screws
    Tile floor and walls around bath
    Decorate room in colour of your choice

And the quote: £4,850!

I live in NW London if this makes a difference. Anyone have a view as to whether this is reasonable? Thanks

I run a building company which mainly works for clients in central London. We would charge £3,600 inc. VAT, whereas lower prices are subject to location.

Sounds very expensive!!!

I am literally having the same work done and live not far from you. Been quoted £2500
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bathghrv wrote: »
    right discussion about bath improvement we have [FONT=&quot]Get Do-it-yourself information on Home Bathroom Renovations, Bath Design, Bathroom Remodeling Improvements and Bath Trends to improve your home and lifestyle. Also we have Product Reviews and Interviews with Professionals in the bathroom industry to point you in the right direction on [/FONT][FONT=&quot]bathroomgurureview.com[/FONT]

Press the button....
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • trueblue61
    Options
    wendyl1967 wrote: »
    I live in Lancashire. I am having a new en-suite fit next week. I am supplying everything. He has recently fit a boiler for us and charged the same as the other 3 quotes we got so I assume that he is average for this area.

To fit new toilet, shower base, shower, (plus new shower in main bathroom) shower door, sink with vanity unit, extractor fan and to rip out the old suite plus supply skip he is charging £1600.

Tiler is going to tile three walls of the shower and half way up the other two walls for £500. 11 1/2 square metre of tiles if that is any help for size. Supplying everything but the tiles.

Plasterer to skim walls, knock off old tiles and put up new plaster board in the shower is charging about £200. Not got his exact price yet. Just an estimate.

This does not include painting.

Your price does sound very expensive.

gota say wendy...so does yours...£500 for what 11.5 m2 of tiling..is he the only tiler in the n.west cos thats expensive..average would be £10 - £15 per m2 and adding up the rest seems a bit over the top. i average £1500 complete, thats the whole job, ripping out, reboarding where req, replastering, tiling,re-fit of new suite..think maybe im undercharging ( or not taking the p**s and overcharging..get more quotes hon and maybe get someone/company who can supply all trades at once and not have to get several trades in..saves time/money and headaches by being let down by any one trade that will stall the other/s
  • trueblue61
    Options
    wendyl1967 wrote: »
    I live in Lancashire. I am having a new en-suite fit next week. I am supplying everything. He has recently fit a boiler for us and charged the same as the other 3 quotes we got so I assume that he is average for this area.

To fit new toilet, shower base, shower, (plus new shower in main bathroom) shower door, sink with vanity unit, extractor fan and to rip out the old suite plus supply skip he is charging £1600.

Tiler is going to tile three walls of the shower and half way up the other two walls for £500. 11 1/2 square metre of tiles if that is any help for size. Supplying everything but the tiles.

Plasterer to skim walls, knock off old tiles and put up new plaster board in the shower is charging about £200. Not got his exact price yet. Just an estimate.

This does not include painting.

Your price does sound very expensive.

hi wendy..your tiler sounds expensive,,bit much for 11-12 m2 and all he,s supplying is adhesive & grout.poss tile trim..add up the whole project re-labour costs,,plasterer sounds ok at £ 200 the rest doesn,t add up..im a bathroom fitter and usually £1500 - £2000 covers the whole lot, from ripping out disposal of waste etc and complete re-fit.and the way things are you can always haggle the price ..find someone who can do the lot without having to call in plumber-tiler-plasterer.lot faster..if one lets you down wont halt the job and only one person to deal with if things go awry..( having said that...maybe im not charging enough lol ) anyways hope your refit goes smoothly and the end result exceeds your expectations...john..l.pool
  • trueblue61
    Options
    Ruth1 wrote: »
    Hi there, we are currently having a new bathroom, we have bought all the fittings and materials ourselves approx cost £3000.
    We have one bloke the plumber doing most of the work with his brother the electrician helping out when needed.
    We have had the chimney removed from the roof and out of the bathroom which made a bit of a mess.The walls have been boarded and plastered where needed and skimmed. The room is now ready to be fitted out, which will be done next week.
    The scaffolding and the skip were £300 and labour so far has cost about £600 for the plumber[£100 a day] and £400 for the electrician, we expect it to take another week or so, so labour will come in at under £2000
    Break the cost down to see how many are doing the job and how much you are paying on a daily basic, that price sounds very expensive, good luck

what was the sparks doing ? to earn £400...defo nowhere near as much as his brother the plumber..if i were him i,d swap trades lol
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    trueblue61 wrote: »
    gota say wendy...s...................eing let down by any one trade that will stall the other/s
    trueblue61 wrote: »
    hi wendy..your tiler sounds expensive,,.....................john..l.pool
    LoL. You answered the same post from 2006 twice in almost as many minutes. What were you on last night? :D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • karlsue
    Options
    Hi
    I would quote less than that and supply the suite. This is me bpdkitchensandbathrooms.co.uk and I have done many jobs like yours
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2011 at 6:45PM
    Options
    karlsue wrote: »
    Hi
    I would quote less than that and supply the suite. This is me .......................... and I have done many jobs like yours
    Be nice to newbies it says, however, Newbies should please read forum rules before posting. Please delete the spam from your post. Ta.

Oh and if you are answering the lead post its possible they might have had it done by now. Post is 5 years old. :D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure