countersigning passports

Options

Comments

• CharleneUK
    CharleneUK Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently enquired at the passport website about countersignatures on childrens renewals.

I was told I'd need it if my child had changed a lot in appearance, which I think she has (it was almost 4 years ago)
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"
  • mancitychick
    Options
    As a teacher I wouldn't sign the form for children I teach. I have to put some of my personal details on that form so would only do it for a friend. You can also get it signed by a license holder or a company director. Anyone you know with a small business who has a limited company can sign

On the passport info booklet they say if the contersignatory is unwilling to give you their personal details, you give them your filled-in application form and the necessary photos, docs & fee. Then the countersignatory can fill in their bit sign photos etc and seal the envelope so you can't see their personal info.
  • mancitychick
    Options
    I have an Irish passport and think there system is much better. You can't get a license holder or company director to sign it has to be a head teacher, lawyer, policeman, priest etc but they don't need to have known you for over 2 years - don't have to know you at all BUT they have to be sure of your idenity. I.E. you are who you say you are. I got my sons new H.Teacher to do mine just took ID with me to prove who I was. Also they don't need to put any personal info just their name and business address and stamp the form with their business stamp. Its a shame my children have a uk passport as I still have to go through the pain of getting theirs signed.
  • andrewmoorcroft
    Options
    As a teacher I wouldn't sign the form for children I teach. I have to put some of my personal details on that form so would only do it for a friend. You can also get it signed by a license holder or a company director. Anyone you know with a small business who has a limited company can sign
    Well next time you are asked to sign the form for children you teach you can point out to them that they need to find someone who knows the adult (not the child)! If you know the adult and are friendly with them then you may be then more inclined to sign the form as long as you believe the picture of the child is a true likeness. As a teacher you could perhaps point this out on the form rules so you wouldn't look so miserably unwilling again or worse still, too stupid to understand the form yourself!
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
    Mortgages make money. Definitely don't wanabee mortgage free!
  • jasonrat
    jasonrat Posts: 482 Forumite
    Options
    Just remember some professionals will charge for doing this,as my sis found out when she asked her doctor to do this,she said he charges £30 to countersign for 1 passport.
    wonder if they declare it
  • hells_2
    hells_2 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a banker and have signed for quite a few folk's passports. We all do it for each other at work as well if the need arises, just say we are each other's bosses etc.
    Mind you....I did get one of our senior managers to sign my last passport application and as he didn't write his own passport number in the box, they queried him and refused my application at first, until he wrote a letter on company letterhead proving he worked there!!!
    So it was just the tiny little detail one particular jobsworth picked up on...:(
    Remember to fill in ALL the boxes i guess!!
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    Is it only doctors who charge?
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • hells_2
    hells_2 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Probably! They're like solicitors nowadays! They charge for picking up a pen!
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My mum is a magistrate and can't charge for being a counter-signatory. Nor would she want to.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • SallyUK
    SallyUK Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I need to renew my children's passports - they're age 14 and 11.

They have their old passports available to send.

However, I understand that they'll still need countersigned seeing as they've changed in appearance since they were toddlers.

Now, have I understood it right - on the part of the form where it needs countersigned, the person signing puts down MY name and not the childs.

Also on the back of one of the photos, does the person signing, sign to say that this is a true likeness of the child?

Sorry for being so thick!!

Sally
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family