PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recycling tips

Options

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

160 you cold pee in the eggshells and throw them into the compost

Caterina

lol, ;D
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Recycle old Christmas cards by cutting out the picture and using it as a gift tag next year. Also save on having to fork out for tags, so saves money too!
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If I recall right, Boots usually have a Xmas card recycling facility - another way is to cut the Xmas card in2 and use the back of the picture to write inspirational notes, spiritual verses, positive affirmations etc....

A friend of mine has a box full of these cards and it is uncanny how accurate and appropriate some of these sentences are for you when you pick them up at random!

I keep meaning to do it every year, then every year after Xmas I am too knackered to do anything else and I put them in the recycling bin!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    our local library do recycling of xmas cards for a charity. well worth asking.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Recycle the christmas paper.
    Keep the big bits and smooth with a warm iron .It helps get tape off if ironed.Roll the paper round a cardboard roll and put it away till next year.
    We do this every year.
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Little bits can be used as gift tags.
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    Got some composting info in our local paper yesterday

Apparantly you should have a 50/50 mix of "greens" & "browns.

Greens are:
    uncooked fruit and veg with their peelings, tea bags, ground coffee, grass cuttings, soft prunings, old bedding plants and annual weeds.

Browns are:
    paper towels and napkins (but not those used to mop anything containing meat such as gravy), scrunched up cardboard, dry leaves and twigs,non-recyclable paper, saw dust and wood chippings (sparingly), corn cobs and stalks and eggshells.

DO NOT compost:
    glossy paper and mags, cooked food, dairy products, pet faeces and litter, fats and oils, weeds that have gone to seed and stale bread.

It also says to not put too many leaves into the composter, but to mulch them in a bin bag with some water (put some holes in the bag) and leave for about a year.

Compost should take about six months to a year to mature. Mix every so often to help the rotting process.

HTH
    Squidgy
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • culpepper
    Options
    Dont put potato peelings in or you'll get potatoes trying to grow all over your garden.
  • Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know that from experience?

I thought that compost was rotted material?

Squidgy
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • culpepper
    Options
    Do you know that from experience?

I thought that compost was rotted material?

Squidgy

um well my neighbours experience,not my own.She composts everything she can and they had to stop putting in potato peeling as they kept getting potatoes in odd places in their veg garden :)

I suppose it has to do with how fast its rotting down and how often they add new stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure