PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recycling tips

Comments

• To everyone with compost.

Do you have those big thingy's in the garden or can you just start small, say with an old large sauce pan? How long do you leave in in there? Do you have to turn it over at intervals, and what to do with it after? Topsoil?

Nickynoo1
    16/06/16 £11446 30/12/16 £9661.49
    01/08/17 £7643.69
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Yes, I would like advice on composting too. Its something we dont do, but I intend to start doing it.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    You could try looking here
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • Check with your local council if they sell composters - ours sell black plastic ones for £10 and they also supply a leaflet on how to make good compost.

If you can't buy one cheap you can make your own if you can get hold of some wooden pallets - just tie 4 together and use a piece of old carpet or plastic as a "lid".

Basically keep filling it with all the things that have been mentioned and in 6 months time you should have lovely soil, which you can use to condition your soil or as top-dressings.

I've got 2 compost heaps, one "on the go" and one "ready to use". I shove everything in there - scrumpled up newspaper, all my veg peelings, etc etc. Makes great stuff!

Check out :
    http://www.cat.org.uk

They have info on composting if you search their site.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Just checked my local council, they sell them for £12 with free delivery.

Did a search on the net, if you live in Lancashire you can get one here for free

http://www.compost-it.org.uk/scheme/compost_bin.htm
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sorrrreeeee. ;D
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ;D
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Don't forget to ask your local schools and playgroups if they are collecting anything for an art project! We are always collecting kitchen inner rolls etc. :)
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Silver foil can be recycled, along with your alumium cans. Check if they're alumium by opening the fridge and seeing if they stick to the rubber seal. There's a magnet in there. If it falls off, then it's aluminium - RECYLCE!

Old pants make great dusters - especially Y-fronts!

I once saw on a kids programme a way of reusing broken biros. Get some modelling clay and make a new holder, the way you want it. Think the programme was Finger Tips on CITV, so info might be on their website. Then you can keep the holder and keep replacing the ink bit.
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    You can put egg shells in the composter - got some good nutrients in apparently. My dad does - got lovely compost.  ;D

160 you cold pee in the eggshells and throw them into the compost

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure