Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Granite Worktops - Truth, Lies and misinformation - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search

Granite Worktops - Truth, Lies and misinformation

625 replies 390.6K views

Replies

• Alan_M_2Alan_M_2 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    I was simply highlighting that there are discrepancies in some of the tops. A good company should assess this when putting an order togther. i.e we make every effort to put together a batch of tops with no more than a 1mm discrepancy....they may all be 27mm-28mm or all 30mm to 31mm. That's the accuracy that the huge slabs are produced to (gangsaw slabs)

What we don't do is sell a 32mm top with a 27mm one. So don't get hung up on it.

The quartz has an accuracy of around +/- 2mm from slab to slab across all manufacturers.

Just pick what you want, it can all be made to fit. If you're quite handy, the best bet is for you to make a set of templates, get everything fabricated on the mainland and pick it all up yourself for the fitting.

• disney_cjddisney_cjd Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Alan et all

I really could do with some advice please

We have a star galaxy worktop. Installed by Wimpey in our new house. its only 3 months old!! Yesterday whilst cleaning the floor we spilt some of the Amtico floor dressing remover which we now know is corrosive! it has marked a few areas of the worktop and we have no idea how to remove it.

Help please!

Thanks
    Craig
    Self confessed Florida expert :) with over 320 trips there!
    Co host of the Disneybrit and Eye on Orlando Podcasts
    and Craig Duncan Soul Show on Orlando Sky Radio :)

2.8K posts
    Have a chat with these guys http://www.extensive.co.uk/

When you call them, have the Amtico bottle to hand, they'll need to know what's in it.

They'll be then able to advise what to do to try and restore the surface..

• edited 31 May 2010 at 6:16PM
    skintandsadskintandsad Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May 2010 at 6:16PM
    [STRIKE]
    2 no. posts above reported :spam:
    [/STRIKE]

Now deleted :beer: (above two posts are fine!!!)
    I'm a nutter :j
  • Can you recommend a supplier in Liverpool area - thanks

I need to go and look at the worktops as I dont have a clue other than I want a blackish colour and I want granite as a splash back too.
    I have had a look in John Lewis and like the look of Star Galaxy and Nero Impala and possibly Verde Maritaca.
    I tried to get an assisitant to help us and give us an idea about prices but they were too busy. But I am thinking there will be places a lot cheaper than John Lewis!

Ideally I would like the supplier to come out and measure (as I would not feel confident getting it stop on) and also deliver and fit.

Thanks
  • edited 4 June 2010 at 10:48AM
    kittykat23ukkittykat23uk Forumite
    116 posts
    edited 4 June 2010 at 10:48AM
    Hi all,

Basically I need your help because I've been scammed! :mad: You can read the full story here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=33428719&posted=1

But the bottom line is I've got a half built kitchen with no granite worktops at the moment. So I'm looking to source some urgently. Ideally I'd like either Black Galaxy, Star Galaxy (not exactly sure what the difference is- are these real granite in the geological sense of the word or some sort of composite?) or Black pearl. I need two 2500 mm lengths.

We can get them sourced and cut locally (Norfolk) but the price quoted is £1100 plus VAT. Ideally I'd like to get them for around £800 installed or £400-500 delivered uncut.

Our kitchen fitter was going to get the ones we ordered cut (£275 +Vat) and install them himself, (he's already done the template) but I'm happy at this stage to go with either supply only or supply and installation whichever offer the best solution.

Has anyone used Tiles and Tops? They sell on Ebay and based in greater London:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-PREMIUM-QUALITY-GRANITE-WORKTOPS-30mm-FULLY-FITTED-/150336073270?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_KitchenFurniture_EH&hash=item2300ba6e36

They quoted £900 fully fitted for two lengths of star galaxy (not sure if that included VAT though).

Any other recommendations most welcome.

Please help!

Jo
    2.8K posts
    joanne1971 wrote: »
    Can you recommend a supplier in Liverpool area - thanks

I need to go and look at the worktops as I dont have a clue other than I want a blackish colour and I want granite as a splash back too.
    I have had a look in John Lewis and like the look of Star Galaxy and Nero Impala and possibly Verde Maritaca.
    I tried to get an assisitant to help us and give us an idea about prices but they were too busy. But I am thinking there will be places a lot cheaper than John Lewis!

Ideally I would like the supplier to come out and measure (as I would not feel confident getting it stop on) and also deliver and fit.

Thanks

Due to the unique way MSE works it's been made clear that it's not appropriate for me to recommend anyone. As I am a wholesale supplier in this industry it isn't clear if my recommendation would be a conflict of interest so MSE would prefer I didn't provide this advice.

Sorry. I can only provide generic advice.

2.8K posts

Has anyone used Tiles and Tops? They sell on Ebay and based in greater London:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-PREMIUM-QUALITY-GRANITE-WORKTOPS-30mm-FULLY-FITTED-/150336073270?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_KitchenFurniture_EH&hash=item2300ba6e36

They quoted £900 fully fitted for two lengths of star galaxy (not sure if that included VAT though).

Any other recommendations most welcome.

Please help!

Jo

Despite wanting to comment on the above, I can't for the reasons I gave in my previous post.

Check their eBay feedback.

• kittykat23ukkittykat23uk Forumite
    116 posts
    I already did, their feedback looks positive for the most part.
  • kittykat23ukkittykat23uk Forumite
    116 posts
    Alan thanks appreciate that but perhaps you can comment on my other question:

What's the difference between Black Galaxy and Star Galaxy and are these real granite in the geological sense of the word or some sort of composite? For that matter are absolute black and Black pearl real granite or some sort of composite?