Granite Worktops - Truth, Lies and misinformation

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    davidcrues wrote: »
    I can saw all you comments..... but you can also check this site xxxxxxxxxx.com. They offered best Marble and Granite Services provider in this industry.
    That maybe the case but the shipping costs from the US to the UK must be quite horrendous for retail product. I'm calling this as spam. In which department of this company do you work David?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Hi, you may have seen my name on this thread pop up as I started by looking for a granite worktop for my kitchen, but then moved to the mirror quartz. I am in Cheshire and considered alot of the companies mentioned on here, e.g. internet based companies, such as granitefitters and others mentioned on Ebay. In the end I decided that I wanted to see the material and decided to go for a local supplier. I'm not affiliated with anyone, but have just about a month ago had a quartz worktop fitted by a company near to Chester for cheaper than the Ebay companies were quoting. After getting lots of prices and visiting numerous companies, I felt the most comfortable with a company called The Merchant House, although visited one called Grantech which is about 5 miles away from them. The were very similar so it was just down to choice. The Merchant House invited me to look around their factory, pick my own slab and came to template. I was really please with their service and can give a personal recommendation. Hope this helps anyone wanting a company around the North West area.

Rachel
  • I'm about to have granite worktops fitted in my new kitchen. The kitchen company specified slips at front and back of the sink, rather than a cutout, but when the granite people came out to template they seemed to think a cutout would be better. Is there any difference in strength or any other pros/cons of cutout versus slips, or is it just that the joins may be slightly visible? It's Baltic Brown, if that makes any difference.
  • Innys
    Innys Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    shokkyy wrote: »
    I'm about to have granite worktops fitted in my new kitchen. The kitchen company specified slips at front and back of the sink, rather than a cutout, but when the granite people came out to template they seemed to think a cutout would be better. Is there any difference in strength or any other pros/cons of cutout versus slips, or is it just that the joins may be slightly visible? It's Baltic Brown, if that makes any difference.

Wot's a slip? Other than the obvious, especially in this weather...
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2010 at 8:30PM
    shokkyy wrote: »
    I'm about to have granite worktops fitted in my new kitchen. The kitchen company specified slips at front and back of the sink, rather than a cutout, but when the granite people came out to template they seemed to think a cutout would be better. Is there any difference in strength or any other pros/cons of cutout versus slips, or is it just that the joins may be slightly visible? It's Baltic Brown, if that makes any difference.

Baltic Brown is quite an open grain stone, it's just how it's geologically occurs.

As a result of this it's prone to breaking during production and transit. Once fixed it's generally pretty stable, it's just the inbetween bits that the risk of breakage is increased.

As a result it's being suggested that the sink area is produced using slips (sometimes called rails)

It's not as attractive, but removes the break risk.

The benefit is entirely the masons not yours.

You could insist on a cut out, but it would not be unreasonable for the mason to explian that due to the nature of the stone being somewhat fragile that any breakage (replacement slab) would need to be covered by you.

It's your call.
  • Bazman
    Bazman Posts: 99 Forumite
    Hi Alan,

Your posts have raised a lot of points and if anything I'm prolly even more concerned than I was before about being ripped off. How can I spot is marble has been dyed or any of the other cowboy tricks you have identified.

I am based in South East London and am looking for granite worktops to add to my new kitchen. Without contrevening any forum rules can you recommend a company that will supply me some kosher goods and a knock down price?

I've already been recommended:

http://www.diapol.co.uk/autoquote.php

and

https://www.granitefitters.co.uk

who came in with a very agrressive price earlier in this thread.

do you have any views on one or both of these?

Thanks
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    I do have views on both companies.

However as I'm in the business and openly state as much, and due to the unique way MSE works it's been made clear to me I can't comment (good or bad) as my opinion could not be considered impartial.

Do searches on this forum for both companies, you will find customers posting their findings.

I'm also afraid I can't recommend any businesses as it's been made clear to me (by MSE) that this could in fact be considered advertising as somewhere along the line I might be supplying the company I recommend.

MSE don't quite know how to deal with transparent business posters like me.
  • Bazman
    Well it does seem like catch 22?

Personally I don't see a problem given you have declared your position?

Seems like the forum will loose some pretty valuable insights by such a puritan view.
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Alan_M wrote: »
    Baltic Brown is quite an open grain stone, it's just how it's geologically occurs.

Hello Alan, we are thinking of having Kashmir Gold in our kitchen. Now am curious to find out about the grain of it compared to the Baltic Brown you mention above. We hope to have drainage grooves and a double underslung (sorry can't remember proper tech word) sink. Is that likely to cause us any problems?

While I'm here I'd also like to thank you for all the information you've taken the time to share with us all. Thank You Alan! :beer:
  • Bazman
    Hi Alan,

Actually I would appeciate advice on which precise type of granite to get.

I want something dark ideally black, but not matt black it should have some pattern/shimer.

The kitchen will be used daily so it must also be practical.

I'd also like a material that gives maximum resistance to ageing, wither though wear/tear and or fading from sun exposure anyhing like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure