Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Granite Worktops - Truth, Lies and misinformation - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Granite Worktops - Truth, Lies and misinformation

625 replies 390.1K views

Replies

• I'd suggest that you only go with a company that has an office address in the UK, in cast things go wrong and you need to chase them through the legal system. Check all measurements taken by the fitter/measurer too. I had a big problem with Diapol. I can't link to the post as a new forum user but it's on the thread: 2238691 on here (in the Praise, Vents, Warnings section).
  • edited 11 November 2011 at 12:10PM
    Alan_M_2Alan_M_2 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    edited 11 November 2011 at 12:10PM
    zcacmxi wrote: »
    Anybody used one of the above firms, can you give some feedback? Also, can anybody suggest/recommend any firm covering the Kent/SE London area?

Thanks

Have a chat with the following company:-

http://www.uk-kitchen-worktops.co.uk/

There's no substitute for a good local firm.

• Hi Alan M,

I'm on the Berkshire/Wiltshire borders and am interested in finding a supplier for either Star Galaxy or Titanium. Can you recommend?

Many thanks, Al
  • Hi,
    I am new to this forum but as i have decided to get granite worktops installed in my kithen i decided to investigate the pros and cons of having granite installed. Although most people seem to have a satisfactory installation experience i have read a few horror stories and would be interested if anybody knew of any companies i should be specifically avoiding as i dont want to end up paying a lot of money for an inferior product. Also recommendations for good installers would be much appreciated. I live in the north of england so not too sure whether or not to to go for a company who is in the south due to the distance involved (would this incur more cost due to travelling?) Any replies would be much appreciated as i am looking to get installed as soon as possible.

Many thanks.
  • If you have two companies, one 30 miles away, the second 230 miles away, common sense says the local firm has a better chance of doing the job cheaper.

This is even more so with granite, it's heavy, not easy to move and really doesn't travel that weel once the fabrication has been done.

I get enquiries from Scotland regualrly but seeings as I'm in Surrey, any saving I could provide is absorbed (and some) in transportation.

So do a little homework on local firms and visit those that you're interested in, follow the guidelines in the original post and you'll not go far wrong.

• One thing I forgot to mention last time is that if you provide your credit card details as a guarantee for the job (on the basis that payment is taken after the job), the company can take payment as soon as the worktop is fitted. Even if you're not happy with the quality of the fitting they can take payment. Your credit card company will only refund you if the goods are not delivered as ordered. They do not cover quality of service. I found this out after my problems with Diapol. Good luck.
  • shiftyk wrote: »
    One thing I forgot to mention last time is that if you provide your credit card details as a guarantee for the job (on the basis that payment is taken after the job), the company can take payment as soon as the worktop is fitted. Even if you're not happy with the quality of the fitting they can take payment. Your credit card company will only refund you if the goods are not delivered as ordered. They do not cover quality of service. I found this out after my problems with Diapol. Good luck.

Hmm, I'd be inclined to push them harder on this point.

In my mind your goods were not delivered or fitted as ordered, difficult to deny that.

• edited 22 February 2010 at 11:01AM
    orc_2orc_2 Forumite
    563 posts
    edited 22 February 2010 at 11:01AM
    Hello Alan

I have a slightly different question about the removal of granite worktops and splashbacks and wonder if you can offer advice or point me in the correct direction.

I have seen a fantastic second hand Poggenpohl kitchen (in excellent, almost new condition despite being 10 years old) with black granite worktops including splashbacks. The kitchen and granite worktops can be easily adapted to my kitchen layout. I cannot afford a brand new fitted kitchen of this quality, but this is well within my budget. The price is also far less than a new kitchen (unfitted) from Ikea/ Howdens etc, which I have already costed. I could not afford granite with a new kitchen from either Howdens or Ikea. This Poppengohl kitchen also includes all electrical fitments which also appear in good condition. At the price on offer, I could afford new appliances for this kitchen. I also believe the kitchen will add value to my home.

I have not bought the kitchen yet as my problem is that I have to dismantle the kitchen. I consider myself a reasonably good handy person (definitely not a professional though) and have fitted a 3 or 4 kitchens previously for myself. I am not too concerned about removing the kitchen units and the electrical appliances nor the plumbing, as I can handle that.

My problem is how to remove and dismantle the granite worktops from the units themselves and where they butt the wall and to remove the splashbacks, without causing damage to them, the units or to the sellers walls. I do not know, yet, how the worktops/ splashbacks are secured to the units or the wall and guess this is important as to how to approach the job. I am also unsure how to tackle any joints in the granite.

On one wall the splashbacks are between the counter and wall units and on another, the splashback is the full height of the wall, so it will be heavy.

How would you suggest I approach this task and what tools do you reckon I might need please?

Many thanks for your thoughts.:)
    Please ignore those people who post on this forum who deliberately try to misinform you. Don't be bullied by them, don't be blamed by them. You know who I mean.
    You come here for advice, help and support- thats what I and like minded others will try to do.
  • It's not going to be easy, the granite is generally glued to the walls and units in some form or another, the process differs from fitter to fitter.

I'd not advise trying this yourself, aside from the fact that it's incredibly heavy you have to know how to handle it all to avoid breaking it.

Taking it off to pull a kitchen out is easy, taking it off with the intention of reusing it is a different proposition altogether.

• Hi Alan,

Some great information in here. Wondered if you could recommend anyone in the Essex area, I woud need supply and fit. Thanks