Technika TV Warning!!

Options

Comments

• charmedlizzy
    Options
    Wrong I'm afraid. Your warranty is from the date of purchase only. Sale of goods act still applies but any repair or replacement does NOT extend the original warranty.

I did ask the Tescos rep instore when he replaced the tv for me, and he said the 1 years warranty was renewed due to the fact the fault was with the tv, it was not caused by myself.

Im unsure where i stand now. Do i just wait and see what they offer me to put towards a new tv? Will they want me to return the tv i have now (faulty) to a local store? Or do they collect?
  • mapcr77
    mapcr77 Posts: 667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did ask the Tescos rep instore when he replaced the tv for me, and he said the 1 years warranty was renewed due to the fact the fault was with the tv, it was not caused by myself.

Im unsure where i stand now. Do i just wait and see what they offer me to put towards a new tv? Will they want me to return the tv i have now (faulty) to a local store? Or do they collect?

Hi,

i'm in a similar situation, did you get the matter resolved? thanks!
  • Once the EU issues a directive it also has a "Coming into force date." That means that as of that date it supersedes all national laws. Therefore the Two Year Warranty applies, it requires NO Statutory Instrument, NO Act of Parliament, it takes precedence over all other issues that a retailer may try to implement as regards credit notes, get out of the store etc.,

Reason various governments have in the past signed treaties that permit EU law to supersede the law of the United Kingdom. No "IFF's But's or Maybe's.

So anyone telling you that the EU directive on warranty isn't in force is literally living in cloud cuckoo land.

Incidentally extended warranties are useless. I work in the electronics industry and items these days if made by a reputable manufacturer are extremely reliable. They usually either fail early on or will last for years. Cheapo stuff usually lasts about 12 months and will cost a fortune to repair and those are the people who will tell you it is out of the 12 month warranty conveniently forgetting it is 24 months and the law is on the customers side on this one.
  • jooulez
    jooulez Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi!
    Having read some of the comments here, I was wondering if anyone could help me?? I have a 19" Technika TV/DVD combi, I've had it for about 3 yrs, then last week the DVD died & wouldn't play anything, (no problem with that didn't expect the DVD to last as I used it every day.) Then Monday just gone, the complete TV went, has no power to it at all, I changed the plug fuse thinkin it was that, but no, there's no sign of power at all, no noises, nothing. I've seen that some people have managed to get some money back, & was wondering whether this might apply to me as well?? I wouldn't expect a TV no matter who makes it to not work after only 3 yrs, is there something I can quote to Tesco, in order for them to do something?? Like fit for purpose or something similar?? Hope there's someone out there who can help :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's out-of-warranty. I very much doubt you'll get any joy, as numerous newer threads on this forum attest.
    This thread was started five years ago...
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't expect a TV no matter who makes it to not work after only 3 yrs, is there something I can quote to Tesco, in order for them to do something?? Like fit for purpose or something similar??
    You are half-quoting the Sale of Goods Act - plenty of info about it in Martin's site - from the top goto Shopping and click on Consumer Rights Armour under Shopping Rights.
    Your TV should have lasted as long as a reasonable person should expect it to last. Are you a reasonable person? I think you are. You've bought the cheapest of the cheap TVs, but I still think you should reasonably expect it to last 3 yrs. Have a read of Martin's articles, goto Tesco, be nice and you could get a repair, replacement or refund (partial at least). Repair is unlikely due to the age and lack of servicing on Technika stuff.
  • Bof
    Bof Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Bought 2 TVs from Tesco (Weep)!

First was a UMC. Fine whilst it worked, but died after 2 years.
    All credit to Tesco - they gave a substantial refund - but I didnt really want a refund - I wanted a working TV!

Gave them a second chance and bought a Technika (Weep)! It has now died after 2 years - and of course, I have lost the receipt in the intervening time.

Both TVs were fine until they decided to die. I do NOT want the bureaucracy of returns and hunting for receipts. All I want is a TV that will last at least 5 years before kicking the bucket.

Is it too much to expect the Buying department experts at Tesco to only deal with reputable and reliable manufacturers??? After all, they are the alleged experts...I am but a mere inconvenienced consumer.
    They don't sell bad meat and expect to rely on customer returns....why do it with TVs???

BOTTOM LINE
    I will only buy reputable branded goods (LG, Panasonic etc) from other non-Tesco outlets from now on. I HAVE LEARNED AN EXPENSIVE LESSON - but learned it well!
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 August 2014 at 6:13AM
    Options
    Is it too much to expect the Buying department experts at Tesco to only deal with reputable and reliable manufacturers??? After all, they are the alleged experts...I am but a mere inconvenienced consumer.

You get what you pay for... if you buy rubbish it is usually less reliable.

Buy from a mainstream manufacturer... it will cost you more but you get better service if it does go wrong.

Beware though that even the bottom end models of some of the better manufacturers are sometimes rebadged cheapies.

So many reputable names from the past have been sold off and the name then used on rebadged cheapies.

Many years ago Bush was a well know British manufacturer but the name was sold off and is now used on poorer quality TV's , another such name is Hitachi.

If Tesco buyers dealt with decent manufacturers the televisions would cost more. When buying, some customers concentrate too much on price and only bother about the quality when things go wrong.... which they inevitably will.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Supermarket branded TV's are bought from anywhwere and everywhere: end of line, over runs, cancelled orders etc. They're then just badged up for the retailer, so spares are never available, nor is service.
    If it's lasted 2 years it's done well.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bof wrote: »
    They don't sell bad meat and expect to rely on customer returns....why do it with TVs???
    Tesco are not Richer Sounds or John Lewis, they sell off-the-shelf cheap televisions and the quality is reflected in the price.

Tesco TV buyers are tasked with buying models based on how cheaply they can be sold rather than quality and durability.
    Bof wrote: »
    I HAVE LEARNED AN EXPENSIVE LESSON - but learned it well!
    I disagree. You had a "substantial refund" on the first set and got a further two years out of the replacement set.
    Effectively, you got four years from your initial outlay on the original set and would doubtless have got more if you had not lost the Technika receipt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure