Technika TV Warning!!

Options

Comments

• will-in-estoril
    Options
    Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act (1979) is all the OP needs to rely on. This piece of legislation should not be underestimated or compared unfavourably to unadopted EU directives.

Paras 2, 2A and 2B of section 14 should be used should the OP get no satisfaction from the retailer.
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gjchester wrote: »
    You edit the post and added a significant chunk to it after I replied.

However the CAB's own advice is here

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_goods_your_rights.htm

under the getting repairs / replacements (bolding is mine)

"If you have had your goods for more than six months when they go wrong, you can still ask the trader to repair or replace them, but you may have to prove that they were faulty when you bought them if the trader doesn't agree. You can ask for a repair or replacement at any time up to six years after you bought the goods (five years in Scotland), as long as it is reasonable for them to have lasted this long. If the goods go wrong after six years (or five in Scotland), you no longer have the right to ask for a repair or replacement."

Again the keys is you DO NOT have a 6 year warranty on all faults. You have a 6 year time frame for faults that were there at time of purchase.

This is COMPLETLY different to a manufacturers warranty where they will repair fault that have appeared after purchase.
    I'm disappointed and concerned to see CAB get it wrong, but they appear to misrepresent Scots Law above. The five years in Scots Law is from discovery of the defect, where the six years in English Law is from the date of purchase. The CAB info implies Scots Law provides less coverage, where in fact it is much greater in most cases.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act (1979) is all the OP needs to rely on. This piece of legislation should not be underestimated or compared unfavourably to unadopted EU directives.

Paras 2, 2A and 2B of section 14 should be used should the OP get no satisfaction from the retailer.

The OP has a refund probably as a good will gesture, it's outside it's 12 mointh warranty and it's a fault that appeared 18 months after purchase so it would be hard to say it was present at time on manufacture.

The OP would probably be hard pressed to say Tesco had not offered to help as they have offered a partial refund, having said the do not repair this model TV.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gjchester wrote: »
    The OP has a refund probably as a good will gesture, it's outside it's 12 mointh warranty and it's a fault that appeared 18 months after purchase so it would be hard to say it was present at time on manufacture.

The SOGA tests are that the goods must be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. I suspect a court would not consider even a budget brand of TV to be fit for purpose if it only lasted 18 months.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • will-in-estoril
    Options
    Fifer wrote: »
    The SOGA tests are that the goods must be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. I suspect a court would not consider even a budget brand of TV to be fit for purpose if it only lasted 18 months.

Spot on. There seems to be a misconception that the goods have to be faulty from the outset. This is way wide of the mark. Courts will apply the Wednesbury reasonableness test, which in this case goes along the lines of 'Is it reasonable that a brand new TV costing £x should only give y months of service?' I hope it would conclude that any new TV which is fit for purpose should give service for a greater length of time than the OP has enjoyed.

It is easy to see pan EU legislation as being a panacea. In many cases our domestic legislation is stronger than EU directives. It is worth remembering that consumer legislation in other member states has not been so robust and it is here where the directive has the greatest effect.
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
  • thecat321
    Options
    I purchased a 22" 1080p tv mid 2009. Within 4 months it would not store channels and was repaired with limited fuss under warranty by SkymediaUK the suppliers of the Technika TV's to Tesco. Same problem occured June last year and still within warranty tv was repaired. However problem has reoccurred this week and am being told warranty out of date and repairs only valid for three months.

Found EU legislation issue usefull and Tesco's are being helpful so will keep post up to date on status. However, does anyone know if repairs accomplished by a replacement part restart a 12 month guarantee on that part or if the repair can be limited in time even if documentation or website from supplier do not mention a short expiry?
  • Blitz01
    Blitz01 Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    I know that all panels are made from a few companies ( namely Samsung , Panasonic and Sharp
    Well apparently from that statement, you know alot less than you think you do.

By far and away, the biggest panel manufacturer is Toshiba.
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And the EU law PERTAINING TO THIS POST was implemented and adopted several years ago

It was? When and where?

I've tried to use this on a laptop and it never worked, neither did SOGA. The top brand company simply refused to fix anything at month 18 when the problem occured. The retail store did not want to know.

The laptop was £600 and had a well documented graphics problem for the video card.
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2011 at 4:55PM
    Options
    Blitz01 wrote: »
    By far and away, the biggest panel manufacturer is Toshiba.

It's Samsung.

And Sony have now partnered with Sharp for their panels. They hate Samsung (Japan/Korea thing).
  • GeoThermal
    Options
    tifo wrote: »
    It was? When and where?

I've tried to use this on a laptop and it never worked, neither did SOGA. The top brand company simply refused to fix anything at month 18 when the problem occured. The retail store did not want to know.

The laptop was £600 and had a well documented graphics problem for the video card.

You should have persued it. A £600 laptop should last longer than 18 months and the SOGA would have applied. Was it Dell?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure