Technika TV Warning!!

Options

Comments

• Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    GeoThermal wrote: »
    You should have persued it. A £600 laptop should last longer than 18 months and the SOGA would have applied. Was it Dell?

I'm guessing HP DV9000
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm guessing HP DV9000

yep, and the nvidia graphics problem ...

i have a toshiba with ati card and the screen just goes blank sometimes, the pc has to be restarted ... i've contacted toshiba before regarding a few other problems and they are a pain to deal with.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    tifo wrote: »
    yep, and the nvidia graphics problem ...

i have a toshiba with ati card and the screen just goes blank sometimes, the pc has to be restarted ... i've contacted toshiba before regarding a few other problems and they are a pain to deal with.

Then back things up daily it WILL die, and soon, btdt.

Had mine repaired at 18months as I brought from Costcos (they all die then) lasted another 6 after then couldn't trust it and binned it.
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    tifo wrote: »
    It's Samsung.

And Sony have now partnered with Sharp for their panels. They hate Samsung (Japan/Korea thing).
    That's strange. Sony and Samsung built a shared panel making facility that at the time was suposedly larger than any other but a couple of years ago was still found to not have enough capacity.
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's strange. Sony and Samsung built a shared panel making facility that at the time was suposedly larger than any other but a couple of years ago was still found to not have enough capacity.

Sony joined Samsung in 2003 and a few years ago went with Sharp ...
    Sony has calculated that it will be more competitive by sourcing future supply of liquid crystal display panels for its most advanced flat-screen TVs from a smaller Japanese rival, Sharp, than by getting them from Samsung, its Korean archrival.

Late Tuesday, Sony, Japan’s largest consumer electronics company and the world’s second-largest, announced that it would turn to Sharp for flat screens based on the most advanced LCD technology available.

Sony will take a 34% stake in a plant Sharp is currently constructing in Sakai City, Osaka prefecture, to produce so-called tenth-generation mother glass substrates.
    Mother glass is the large fabricated sheet from which each individual TV flat screen is cut.

Tuesday’s announcement spells the end of a partnership with Samsung, the world's largest supplier of LCD panels, lasting for more than four years. Sony and Samsung formed a joint venture in 2003 called S-LCD in South Korea’s South Chungcheong province to produce LCD television panels. Sony has used the plant for its LCD panels but has been weaning itself off exclusive reliance on S-LCD. Sharp is the fifth-largest manufacturer of LCD panels, and all three companies compete directly in the LCD television market with their own brand-name television sets.
  • SteveB81_2
    Options
    I've been done by Tesco too on a 42" Panasonic. It broke at about the two year stage and they said they would pay me a small amount of what it's worth but it may not cover the costs of repair. However, Panasonic said they would pay a bit towards it too - I await the settlement from Tesco... maybe I won't pay out too much :(
  • charmedlizzy
    Options
    Bought this 5th feb 2010, it then developed a fault of the timer not working (suppose to switch off after so many minutes but kept freezing at 1 minute and then stays on all night) and some pixels went in the screen (yellow and red). Took it back to Tescos 15th may 2010, got a replacement one exactly the same model. Told new 1 year warranty with the new tv.

The timer has now stopped workking, so i called the helpline (help? yeah right!) said that it is from the original purchase date of 5th feb that the warranty is from (how does that work if i replaced the tv dec 2010? only 2 months left!) they said they will send me a form to fill in to get a cheque towards a new tv, but not replace the tv i already have. I thought that the warranty lasts from the day of purchase or day of renewal, either way, 1 full year per tv.

Going to be stretching my consumer rights after reading this, but how can they not be up to date on consumer rights? The guy on the phone was adamant that it was not a new full years warranty otherwise everyone would replace their tvs (well only if they are faulty silly man!)
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    I thought that the warranty lasts from the day of purchase or day of renewal, either way, 1 full year per tv.

Wrong I'm afraid. Your warranty is from the date of purchase only. Sale of goods act still applies but any repair or replacement does NOT extend the original warranty.
  • GeoThermal
    Options
    As far as I know the replacement TV just continues on with the original warranty.
  • FleetFanatic
    Options
    And it's still within the 2 year timeframe & therefore not fit for purpose. Keep fighting.
    Fog on The Tyne isn't mine all mine... but if I wanted it, I'd want it with a discount code.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure