PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Camping Mealplans

Comments

• natc
    natc Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mmm and smells good too!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    skiTTish wrote: »
    Oh and forgot to say ,if your on EHU ,dont forget your slow cooker.
    Stick it on in the morning ,go out walking ,sightseeing all day ,come back and you evening meal is ready :)

Please do not do this!:mad:
    I have seen a fire in a campsite -- tents and caravans will go up very easily!

Take a good deep frying pan, great for one pan meals like risotto, as well as sausages etc. A pressure cooker is also adaptable for spaghetti, ratatouille etc as well as ordinary veg in the compartments.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • elisamoose
    elisamoose Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    pollypenny wrote: »

Take a good deep frying pan, great for one pan meals like risotto, as well as sausages etc. A pressure cooker is also adaptable for spaghetti, ratatouille etc as well as ordinary veg in the compartments.

I dont camp but have a small boat with one cooking ring......................and I had never even thought of using the pressure cooker! Thank you!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi diddlepops,

I have added your thread to the recent camping meal plans thread that was in the e-mail to keep the suggestions together.

This thread may help too:

Caravan, camping and holiday cookery

Pink
  • pudding06
    pudding06 Posts: 625 Forumite
    ive just come back from a 3 week camiping holiday, granted in France, but i cooked every meal while there.

I only have 2 gas burmers, and manage to cook the meals i would normally cook at home on a regular basis without any problem, eg beef stews/bourginon, spag bol, sweet and sour chicken, paella, sausages and cous cous or savoury rice, curries, coq au vin, chicken in white wine and mushroom sauce, rabbit in sauce, chilli con carne, etc etc.

if you can use a bbq then thats great and gives you more options too.

I always take a large plastic box with pasta, rices, stock cubes, tinned tomatoes, herbs and spices,cous cous, garlic, onions, tinned kidney beans etc etc etc. that saves me buying everything from scratch when i'm away. dont forget the coffee and tea!!! I then make meals based around the meats i can get, and the basic good i have brought with me.
    once you get used to it, cooking while camping isnt much harder than at home. I always take my good knives and chopping boards with me too.

mind you i do miss having my oven with me lol, mine seems to be on every day when i'm at home.
    August 2009 grocery challenge £172.64/,,,,,

no point in doing grocery challenges, have no money left over to eat :0/
  • chnelomi
    chnelomi Posts: 462 Forumite
    As you are using the car and not backpacking, try this. I've tested it with all ASDA SmartPrice stuff, and it was delicious!

THREE TIN STEW

Quick, easy and useful for camping or caravanning.

Serves 2 – 3

INGREDIENTS

1 tin of stewed steak in gravy
    1 tin of new potatoes in water
    1 tin of sliced carrots in water
    Ground pepper to taste
    Love doing this OH thought i was nuts first time i done it, it was his first time camping though.

Others i do include tin of corned beef(or tinned/fresh mince)
    Tin backed beans
    Tin potatoe
    Black pepper
    And the other that had OH run for the hills Tomato sauce sounds yuck but works

Tinned meat balls with chinese noodles
    Boil water add noodles cover and set aside (they only take minutes)
    Heat meatballs through (i chop them a bit or the kids have them flying everywhere)
    drain noodles and mix with meatballs
    Add veg to meatballs if you want.

Also pasta with a quick tomato basil and onion sauce with say sausage(chopped) bacon(sliced) etc goes down well too.
    And i make spag bol from scratch when camping it's prity easy once you get over the fear of doing it wrong.recomened garlic puree when camping as it is easier and less messy and if you have a toaster ring or grill makes it easy to do garlic bread. juut blend paste with butter and spread on bread/bagette or nans(nice on BBQ)and toast
    slowly going nuts at the world:T
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite

Eh ? Are you for real ?:rotfl:
    how the heck would a slow cooker cause a fire in a van or a tent if used with an EHU ?!?!:confused::rotfl:
    Better stop using the fridge ...heating ...tvs and everything else in that case ?:rolleyes:
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Hi

I've not read through the entire thread so apologies if I'm repeating someone but if you look on this website www.ukcampsite.co.uk You'll find lots of good advice about anything and everything to do with camping.

Jen
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    skiTTish wrote: »
    Eh ? Are you for real ?:rotfl:
    how the heck would a slow cooker cause a fire in a van or a tent if used with an EHU ?!?!:confused::rotfl:
    Better stop using the fridge ...heating ...tvs and everything else in that case ?:rolleyes:

Read the original post - poster will have 2 burner butane gaz cooker. So she wouldn't be able to anyway.

Have you ever seen a fire in a camp site? I have and I would never leave anything unattended!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite

Read the original post - poster will have 2 burner butane gaz cooker. So she wouldn't be able to anyway.

Have you ever seen a fire in a camp site? I have and I would never leave anything unattended!

I still fail to see how a electric slow cooker on an electric hook up has anything to do with fire ?

Have seen many videos of fires on campsites and yes they can go up pretty fast( although I have no idea what that has to do with my post ???)
    But in 30+ yrs of camping and caravanning I have never seen a fire either onsite or wild camping
    But again ,what the hell has fire got to do with my post ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure