Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Options

Comments

• marionreid
    Options
    SeasonsHolidays

They have offered me a Discounted maintainance fee of £275 once a year as long as i want to keep my membership, but If i want to go to their Algarve Holiday place, i would need to pay the full £367 but they would give me 2 free flights!!!..............
  • bella165
    bella165 Posts: 13,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    what a load of boll** avoid
    Replies to posts are always welcome, if they are done in the correct manner. If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Hi everyone. I have only been comping for the past few weeks and yesterday I recieved this email. I would love to think that it is real but I do not think it is .
    Do I respond or should I hit deleate
    Dear Winner,

On Behalf of the Company, I say Congratulations to you for being a winner in this Grand Category (A+). We have received your email with utmost delight in the Visa Credit Card Lottery Promotions programs held in London and the few eligible winners (Three) contacted personally.

All Participants were selected through a Computer Balloting System drawn from a pool of over 25,000 E-mails of distinguished World Wide Web (WWW) drawn from Europe, America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Middle East, parts of Africa, and South America. As part of our International Promotions Program conducted annually to encourage prospective overseas entries. We hope that with part of your Prize awards, you will take part in our subsequent Lottery Jackpots.

In line with the Governing rules of claim, you are requested to furnish us the following information

1. Full Names.
    2. Residential Address.
    3. Occupation.
    4. Tel/Fax.
    5. Date of Birth.
    6. Nationality.

7. Winning Numbers.

Do understand that, this is done to ensure that, we are dealing with the rightful winner in this Category to avoid double claiming by non-winners as your winning amount is £1,500,000 GBP (One million Five hundred thousand great British pounds sterling) and as such cannot afford any uncertainty.

In Receipt of the required information we shall start with the verification, processing and certification of your claims.

Importantly, for the enablement of your Claims, you are advised to comply with our payout procedures, as these are mere formalities that will guarantee payment of prizes to all qualified winners in this Category and not to Non Winners.

Furthermore note that, all prizes should be claimed not later than the stipulated Deadline. After this date, all unclaimed prizes will be returned to the British Gaming Board (B.G.B) which will be in turn sent to the Lottery Commission for subsequent Lottery Draws.

Upon the Acknowledgement of the above, we shall start the immediate verification and processing of your Claims.

Mr. Dylan Rhys,
    Direct Tel: +44 704 570 9498
    Fax: +44 709 288 7389.
    Email:
    [EMAIL="dylan_rhys1@sbcglobal.net"]dylan_rhys1@sbcglobal.net[/EMAIL]

This E-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended Recipient please accept our apologies; Please do not Disclose, Copy or Distribute Information in this E-mail or take any action in Reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be Unlawful. Please inform us that this Message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your Co-operation. This Promo is Governed and monitored by the Gambling Commission of the Visa Credit Card Gaming Board and Censored Copyright © 2008. All Rights are reserved.
  • Tomthumb
    Tomthumb Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    I know it's been posted before, but I had a call today about the planet49 car/cash comp trying to get me to sign up for the euro lottery. I told them I wasn't interested but thought I'd post it here incase they were doing the rounds :rolleyes:
  • mcroodi
    mcroodi Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have only been comping for the past few weeks and yesterday I recieved this email. I would love to think that it is real but I do not think it is .....

I would just hit the delete button.. that email just follows the format of a lot of emails posted on here, ie, they just want you to submit your personal details to commit fraud.
  • essexgal
    essexgal Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    PMSL - highlights in red - thoughts in green

Dear beloved friend,

I am glad to inform you that I have successfully concluded the transaction,the money has been transferred to London. It is done through the assistant of your country man Mr. Howard who is a London base business man. Currently I am in London with him , my wife and children. (base - baseborn more like)

In appreciate of your assistance I have mapped out as a compensation and wrote on your favor a Draft worth of US$1,500,000.00. (One Million,Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only) I left the Draft with my secretary Martin Bongos (seriously?)on my departure to London. I would like you therefore,to contact him on the below info so that he can mail it to you.

Name: Martin Bongos
    Email:bongosmartin@yahoo.com (oh, didn't realise you were on yahoo - must be okay then:rolleyes: )

However,I did not forget you because you are the source of my success, you made me what I am now though you are not there to complete this project with me but I gave all the credit and thanks to you. I know it is not your fault or rather your wish to back up on me and the transaction,I understand it is simply because of what you must have heard about my continent and her business opportunities. (oh I've heard plenty thank you) Actually there are still good ones for example myself. (good what - examples of scammers....)

Regards,
    Mr Ben Udoka (more like U-plonka)

essexgal
    ;)old enough to know better, young enough not to care;)
  • bella165
    bella165 Posts: 13,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    ive just recived a phone call from the prize draw center it was a american saying i had won a competition but when he heard the noise of the kids he said he will ring back at a later date i did 1471 and the number was unavailble , do anyone else think this is strange
    Replies to posts are always welcome, if they are done in the correct manner. If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • wokkies
    wokkies Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    just received
    Master/visa Card® / Microsoft® international MEGA JACKPOT
    BARCLAYS BANK PLATINUM VISA CARD
    BARCLAYS PREMIERSHIP
    MICROSOFT OFFICE, UNITED KINGDOM
    DIRECTOR; Mr.Ashley Steve Jr.

This email address has brought you an unexpected luck, please read
    through this message.Your e-mail address was selected and confirmed by
    our
    co-sponsor Microsoft International, through their latest internet
    software. You are therefore been approved by Master/visa Card Int.
    /Microsoft
    UK(under the uk national lottery)
    the sum of £6,600,000.00 (SIX MILLION,SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS).
    In cash,With Reg. No. MCIMJ: 5148/4178, you are the sixth lucky winner of the
    total winners of 10 take note. You all won £6,600,000.00 Pounds
    each.
    Be
    informed that your prize (MasterCard No: 5148 6547 8940 6543) has been
    insured and ready for pay out. Contact our claims administrator for
    further instructions, Master/visa Card(R) / Microsoft(R) Claims
    Administrator

Name: Barrister Mark White
    Promotion Award Team
    Head Winning Claims Dept.
    E-MAIL:[EMAIL="megamvinternational@gmail.com"]megamvinternational@gmail.com[/EMAIL]
    Phone:+447045713412

Again for your information, all the 10 participants were selected
    through the Microsoft computer ballot system (MCBS) drawn from each
    continent and from each ISP, by the most powerful Microsoft Software
    Incorporation, as part of our International "E-MAIL" Promotions
    Program, to promote the use of MasterCards and the use of
    Microsoft Offices all
    over the World. Further more,to promote the use of online payments, for the
    settlement of debts (taxes) and payment of bills.Your funds
    is ready for payment. All you have to do is contact our claims
    administrator to
    process your MasterCard Certificate and to
    process the release of your funds to you.
    Please note that there are imposters (Scammers)
    who pretend to be us, so be careful and report to me any case of double
    information you receive from someone else.

Secretary
    Mrs.Mercy Gray@
    Master/visa Card(R) / Microsoft(R) Mega Jackpot.
    to be updated:;)
  • zerodashzero
    zerodashzero Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options

Yesterday I received a scam letter from Spain (surprisingly stamped!).

It’s very similar to the usual Nigerian emails but with slightly better grammar!

The bit that made me chuckle the most was –

“Due to mix up of names and addresses, we ask that you keep this award from public notice until your claim has been processed and your funds remitted to you. This is part of our security measures to avoid double claiming or unwarranted taking advantage of the situation by other participants or non-participants.”

I hope some poor fools don’t get suckered by this. I bet some other greedier fools will probably photocopy the claim sheet (asking for banking details and all the usual other bits of info) and “share” their luck with friends in a double claim scam (but I suppose that would serve them right!).

I’ve got no idea how my details ended up in Spain, but I assume it’s from entering competitions online, possibly one for a holiday as I usually use my full name (same as my passport) in case I win (ever the optimist!).

Has anyone else had one?
  • Rice_Pudding
    Options
    Thanks to Claire and MoneySavings Expert website....I just did a Google search and up came your comments around this illustrious organization...i knew it was a scam when the letter arrived in the post today, but it was good to know what it was all about.

Many thanks and excellent website

Rice Pudding:T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport