Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Options

Comments

• fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Grunhilda wrote: »
    I just had a call from My Child as well (their third attempt to phone me in 2 days), their number is 02074 309440.

i have "saved" their number in my moby so i know who is calling and be prepared :D
  • sheffmorph1
    sheffmorph1 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    TraceyB wrote: »
    Have just had a call from Laura regarding a competition I had entered through get me a ticket. The competition was to win a holiday to the Caribbean - said that was strange as although I was entering comps, I was avoiding holidays as these wouldnt be convenient to take at the moment with a small baby!

She said I had won a runners up prize of a week in Costa del Sol or Tenerife and gave me a claim code (is this starting to sound familiar?!!) and a number to call - 08006526566.

Obviously jumped straight on here to see if I could find anything and lo and behold.....

Must admit was slightly excited as it was an 0800 number but still thought it was unlike me to win anything!!

Never mind - keep trying:mad:

also had a phone call from these guys saying i had won a holiday to europe for 7 nights.
    i phoned the number and they stated that i had a "reward" of a holiday but i need to go to leeds with id and paperwork and to pay a admin fee of £39 per person.
    they also offered me high street vouchers to help pey for me to get to the office.

To be honest they did have me fooled for a bit with them ringing me and saying that i had won because i have started to enter comp's online and one of them was for a holiday.
    also with the free phone number that they had given to me to phone also made it seemed guinuine.
    but as they talked on the phone saying what i needed to do to claim i realised it to be a scam so i hung up the phone and checked on here and i saw i was right about it being a scam.
    i just wonder how many people do go to the office and pay the fees
  • MyMateMartin
    Options
    "Congratulations, you've just won a Caribbean Cruise"

Just press 9.....

and then no doubt some sales pitch, tied in to premium rate, etc

Scammers

1471, foreign voice, automated, we cannot tell you who just rang etc.

Are they really stupid these foreign scammers.

Needless to say, I didn't press 9.

Next thing is...we'll be charged some exorbitant fee just for answering these calls, I do hope not.
    :icotbaske
  • Samedi_Sam
    Options
    Hi all, just joined today so that I can post the following....

...Had a phone call around 2.40pm on my landline, it was a a guy from www.getmeaticket.co.uk claiming that my husband had entered a competition over the weekend and won, he gave his name and email address, so I thought that it must be real (was caught up in the moment I guess!). :j

He said that he had won an a 7 night holiday for 4 in Europe, all expense paid, I was then given a freephone number to ring and a ref number.

The freephone number 0800 988 9900 was Club La Costa, I was told the following:
    - that we had won a holiday award to Southern Spain, Portugal or Tenerife;
    - 7 nights at a self catering villa / apartment;
    - 4 return flights;
    - Valid for 6 months;
    - ALL we had to do was pay £29.50 per person, plus airport tax;

So this is ALL we had to do to get a FREE holiday (hmm, not completely free then).

And oh yeh, lastly, we had to turn up at an event near by, to choose a time and date, to get a more details...hmm...said I would discuss with my husband and get back...sound too good to be true?

Am glad I came onto this website to check it out, am going to stick to the rule...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!! :T
  • rrickyuk
    rrickyuk Posts: 8,335 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Samedi_Sam wrote: »
    ...Had a phone call around 2.40pm on my landline, it was a a guy from www.getmeaticket.co.uk claiming that my husband had entered a competition over the weekend and won, he gave his name and email address, so I thought that it must

I won the same thing twice last week. :rolleyes:

Bargepole time with this lot.
    icon7.gif
    Al Mac Appreciation Society No. 188
  • scottishfreebiehunter
    Options
    "Congratulations, you've just won a Caribbean Cruise"

Just press 9.....

and then no doubt some sales pitch, tied in to premium rate, etc

Scammers

1471, foreign voice, automated, we cannot tell you who just rang etc.

Are they really stupid these foreign scammers.

Needless to say, I didn't press 9.

Next thing is...we'll be charged some exorbitant fee just for answering these calls, I do hope not.

I had this last week though not sure if they said cruise did not press the number though,but seem to be getting quite a few of them:confused:
    Just back into comping past few months to help me get over rubbish in life.... won Hotpoint fridge freezer, soda stream
  • mrsdinozzo
    mrsdinozzo Posts: 582 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    and I've just read the thread here about seasons holidays and thanks guys..saved me a phone call to find out they're selling timeshare...letter duly binned...ah well - for a moment I was basking on a beach, tequila in one hand, fan in the other while Pedro massaged my shoulders...~sigh~:cool:
    All these years since I left school and I've never once had to use Algebra
  • Happy_shopper
    Happy_shopper Posts: 6,662 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Commiserations to you, mrsdinozzo. At least you found out sooner rather than later. Hope you win a real holiday soon. :)
  • Frond
    Frond Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I have just received a Recorded Delivey letter from seasons holidays telling me I had won this month's daily Internet / Grand Prize Draw to the value of £3750.

Thanks to the scam being detailed on here, I can safely dump it straight in the bin.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board. :mad:
    Since July:: Chiller Glass.....Cloverfield DVD....Garnier Goodie Bag.....Last Dragon(Book).....GlamBronze.....Serif Webplus X2..... August :: Mechanik DVD....Ambre Solaire.....Beauty Rehab Rose Salve.....Counted Cross Stitch Kit......
  • marionreid
    Options
    Seasons Holidays sent me a letter today, which had to be signed for..........I got all excited at first , then doing a quick google search i came across this thread.

I won a prize up to the value of £3750, which incidently is the online offer they have on at the moment.

Wasent able to call them till 12 noon, ( wonder why)

It will be interesting to see what they have to say.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback