Electricity Consumption trebled in 2 months.. HELP please?!

TiredSplat
TiredSplat Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 30 May 2009 at 11:23PM in Energy
Hi

Moved into a brand new flat in October 08, it is just myself and my daughter who has just turned 1.

The flat is fully electric with electric heating (not storage), not really used much during winter times as flat well insulated but if they were on never set to more that 3 out of 5 (3 being the highest used). They were switched off in February time.

Bills with EON have always been reasonable and consistent, I always check the meter readings they use and never accept a bill based on their estimation. Was paying £50 per month and EON dropped this to £37. I have just looked at EON account as have received a bill notification, and my readings have trebled in 2 months... I have 2 readings a low and a normal and they are charging me £626 for electric from 13 March to 27 May. I have checked the meter readings and they are CORRECT?!

Here are previous readings:

26 Nov 08 Low: 546 Normal: 1451
21 Feb 09 Low: 738 Normal: 1932
12 Mar 09 Low: 793 Normal: 2285
27 May 09 Low: 2629 Normal: 6463

All appliances are brand new, and nothing is switched on at the mains unless it is in use. Tomorrow, I am going to switch absolutely everything off tomorrow for 1 hour, and then gradually switch things back on and monitor the meter's reactions. If there is a fault with an appliance then where do I stand in claiming the money back from the manufacturer?

The meter has rocketed since March and this coincides with the houses around me having people move in, is it possible that my meter could be picking up their electricity too? How easy is it for that to happen?

I am going to speak with EON but cannot do this until Monday, and having a slight panic that I am going to have to pay for a bill that I did not make, with money that I do not have!!

Any ideas would be grately appreciated to try and keep me calm until this time.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Those readings from 26 Nov to 12 March must be an error.

A fully electric flat, for three and a half months over the coldest part of the winter, to only use a total of 673kWh is just not believable. That would be low in a property with Gas CH.

I appreciate you say that they are not estimated readings, but that is the only reason I can think would account for that.

Also to 'only' use a total 6261kWh in 6 months over a winter is good.

I am a little surprised that you manage to use one third of your electricity on Economy 7 without storage heating.
  • Seriously, I hardly use heating, and like I say all that is switched on is what I am using.
    I don't have economy 7 as I dont use enough electricity to warrant it, I have the ElectricityOnline Extra Saver.

I was in touch a lot with EON when I first moved in about paying the right amount each month and they never questioned it. Also, I work full-time so not here in the day, and rarely here at the weekends.
  • Cardew
    Ah I see! Well you have an Economy 7 meter.

However the point I made above still stands:

"A fully electric flat, for three and a half months over the coldest part of the winter, to only use a total of 673kWh is just not believable."

You don't say when you moved in during Oct 08, or the meter readings but, assuming they were close to zero in a brand new flat, by the end of Nov 1,997kWh had been used - which would be reasonable.

So something has to be wrong with the readings(i.e. estimated/misreading)
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi TiredSplat

The sudden surge in electricity does suggest something is wrong unless you have had a major change of circumstances.

As Cardew says, your winter usage is low for an all electric property. Are you absolutely sure about the meter readings used? Could they have been recorded incorrectly at some stage? Did you provide them or were they from a meter reader?

These are things you can check when you call us.

If the readings are all ok and your usage has suddenly surged an energy monitor may help you track down exactly where the electricity is being used. These are gadgets which display live data about how much electricity your home is using and costing. :cool:

There are several types available from various retail outlets. This forum contains a lot of good info about them. Two threads I am aware of can be found by following the links below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1624067

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1712669

Hope this helps. :)

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Thank you for this. Readings were read by me, whilst on the phone to one of your representatives so I know that I got them right.

Yes my bills were low. I have a flying freehold property, and because of this I have extra insulation and soundproofing, so I only ever used a heater for a small amount of time to heat up the rooms that I was using: Living room, baby's bedroom and bathroom. I spoke with the site foreman who confirmed my thoughts that the property was ALWAYS warm without the need for heaters.

I have spoken with one of your representatives this morning, and they need me to clarify the readings and the meter serial number. The rise in units conicides with people moving in in the properties around me. I will see what the next step is when I phone through those details, but I will not be purchasing anything to prove my usage as this clearly is an error with yourselves. For 3 weeks of this high usuage I wasn't even in the property as I was in hospital and everything was switched off apart from the fridge freezer, and I have checked that consumption yesterday and it seemed normal according to my electrician.

Thanks for your help.
  • Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    TiredSplat wrote: »
    Thank you for this. Readings were read by me, whilst on the phone to one of your representatives so I know that I got them right.

Yes my bills were low. I have a flying freehold property, and because of this I have extra insulation and soundproofing, so I only ever used a heater for a small amount of time to heat up the rooms that I was using: Living room, baby's bedroom and bathroom. I spoke with the site foreman who confirmed my thoughts that the property was ALWAYS warm without the need for heaters.

I have spoken with one of your representatives this morning, and they need me to clarify the readings and the meter serial number. The rise in units conicides with people moving in in the properties around me. I will see what the next step is when I phone through those details, but I will not be purchasing anything to prove my usage as this clearly is an error with yourselves. For 3 weeks of this high usuage I wasn't even in the property as I was in hospital and everything was switched off apart from the fridge freezer, and I have checked that consumption yesterday and it seemed normal according to my electrician.

Thanks for your help.
    Take a reading every 24 hours and post your results.
  • Thanks, I will see how that goes. The EON rep that I spoke to earlier on the phone can see that there is a problem, but trying to get them to admit it will be another issue!!!
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi TiredSplat

When you check the meter serial number make sure it is the same as the one on your bills.

You mention our agent can see a problem. Did they say what it was?

There is nothing to be gained in denying anything is wrong when it is. Therefore, if you are not happy with the agent's response ask to be escalated to their manager.

If you are still unhappy complain to the Director's Office. Details are on the bills.

Hope this helps. :)

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • TiredSplat
    TiredSplat Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi Malc
    Have spoken with a rep and she was brilliant - went through everything. As you guys said the March figure is wrong, massively wrong. When you work out the daily averages using this figure it means I was using an unbelievable amount of energy in the last few months. However, if you take this march reading out and work out the daily usage average it makes sense.

The march error was given by me to someone over the phone, he must have inputted it wrong (as why would I not be able to read numbers) and should have seen that for an all electric flat that this usage was too low and not decreased my direct debit. Now because the error has been made I have a debit of nearly £700 which would not have happened if he had done his job properly.

And what a surprise EON are not taking responsibility for it. However, they are calling me back tomorrow so we will just see what is said but I will be making a formal complaint in writing.

Cheers

PS. My new direct debit is set up for £70 a month - not including repayment of debit. Twice what I have been paying on EON's advice - go figure!
  • Cardew
    TiredSplat wrote: »
    Hi Malc
    Have spoken with a rep and she was brilliant - went through everything. As you guys said the March figure is wrong, massively wrong. When you work out the daily averages using this figure it means I was using an unbelievable amount of energy in the last few months. However, if you take this march reading out and work out the daily usage average it makes sense.

The march error was given by me to someone over the phone, he must have inputted it wrong (as why would I not be able to read numbers) and should have seen that for an all electric flat that this usage was too low and not decreased my direct debit. Now because the error has been made I have a debit of nearly £700 which would not have happened if he had done his job properly.

And what a surprise EON are not taking responsibility for it. However, they are calling me back tomorrow so we will just see what is said but I will be making a formal complaint in writing.

Cheers

PS. My new direct debit is set up for £70 a month - not including repayment of debit. Twice what I have been paying on EON's advice - go figure!

I am a little lost here.

I suggested that the March figure was" 'unbelievable' and so something has to be wrong with the readings(i.e. estimated/misreading)"

You said:
    I always check the meter readings they use and never accept a bill based on their estimation.

I have checked the meter readings and they are CORRECT?!

So regardless of you getting the meter reading wrong, or the EON rep inputting it wrong, it seems you could not have checked the reading.

Also why would the EON rep have known it was an all electric flat? You could be having gas for heating from another company?

They may have a recording of the phone call to prove who made the mistake. However even if it is the EON rep, the fact is that you have still used the electricity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure