Is my bill high??

Options
walruspaul
walruspaul Posts: 5 Forumite
I just had a energy billfor £453!! :eek: i don't think i can afford this at the mo, what should i do?:confused:

I had a new boiler this time last year and the bill is higher so kinda gutted, i thought that would help make things better!:mad:

Whats the average for a three bed semi both fuels, I switched to eon last year as they were the best dealfor me then, i cant imagine it would be much different now..or would it?

any advice is greatfull, this was mainly a rant!:p

Walruspaul

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    We have a three bed house and there's six of us. We pay £900 a year gas and £600 a year electricity but that's with us cutting back. That's about 31000kwh gas and 5000kwh electricity.

You need to look at how many kwh you are using, using accurate meter readings.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    walruspaul wrote: »

Try a Budget Account. That will prevent any more nasty surprises.

£453 for how long? If it's a quarter, that's not a high bill for the winter/early spring.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • DebtHater
    DebtHater Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    Options
    walruspaul wrote: »
    I just had a energy billfor £453!! :eek: i don't think i can afford this at the mo, what should i do?:confused:

I had a new boiler this time last year and the bill is higher so kinda gutted, i thought that would help make things better!:mad:

Whats the average for a three bed semi both fuels, I switched to eon last year as they were the best dealfor me then, i cant imagine it would be much different now..or would it?

Walruspaul

My average bill, bearing in mind we have just had a pretty cold winter, was £280 for the quarter, both fuels. This was for a 2 bed apartment with just me and the OH.

I'm with eon and if you link it to your ClubCard, you are on a pretty good deal IMO. Also, just to point out, they have just bought out a new package, "Fixed Online v3" or something like that, same unit prices but it gives you a further 5% discount on top of the % they already give you for paying by direct debit, duel fuels etc - its definately worth switching to this new package, I already have :rotfl:
  • E.ON_Company_Representative
    E.ON_Company_Representative Posts: 806 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Paul,

Firstly check your bill is based on actual meter readings; these are indicated on the bill by an ‘A’ or a ‘C’ for customer read (provided by you).

If the bill is estimated (E) it may be higher than it should be, check the readings against those on your meters. Alternatively if the last quarter bill was estimated and quite a bit lower, this is in effect could be a catch up bill.

It sounds like you pay for your bills quarterly rather than by monthly or weekly payments, is this correct?

Understandably paying a bill of this amount can be difficult, once the bill has been checked to ensure its accurate ask E.ON for a payment arrangement, we will be happy to spread the payments over a period of time to make this easier for you.

It’s very difficult to compare your own usage with other peoples as everyone has different circumstances, I.e. appliances vary, number of occupants varies, and energy efficiency of property varies.

This is why it’s important to look at your individual usage and ensure its inline with your own circumstances; E.ON can help you with this if you need more advice. Also ask us and we’ll carry out a tariff review and see if a better/more suitable tariff is available.

Hope this helps :)

Brian
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DebtHater
    DebtHater Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    Options
    It’s very difficult to compare your own usage with other peoples as everyone has different circumstances, I.e. appliances vary, number of occupants varies, and energy efficiency of property varies.

This is why it’s important to look at your individual usage and ensure its inline with your own circumstances; E.ON can help you with this if you need more advice. Also ask us and we’ll carry out a tariff review and see if a better/more suitable tariff is available.

Hope this helps :)

Brian

Hi Brian :)

Do e.on still do the energy tracker box that used to come free with one of the packages? Could do with one of those, but last time I looked they were something like £40 to buy
    Options
    Hi DebtHater,

Yeah the Energy Saver version 8 currently offers a free energy saving monitor to those who sign up for it. Make sure you check all the details of the tariff first to make sure it’s the right one for you. :beer:

Also you can buy the energy saving monitor from E.ON for £30 at the E.ON shop online.

Brian :)
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    Hi Jackiebkr2,

Most energy monitors allow you to see in real time and financial value how much electricity you are using. The exact functions of an energy monitor do depend on the make and model of it.

Some models connect to your meter and record how much energy is travelling through the meter at that time. You can programme the monitor with your electricity unit prices so it can tell you how much it’s costing you in real time and value.

With other types you need to plug the appliance in to it and then plug the device into the wall socket to measure an individual appliances usage, and again cost in monetary terms.

If you’re looking to get an energy monitor make sure you read the details of the product to see the type you are buying.

Hope this helps. :)

Brian
  • eg0u30a8
    Options
    I have an M3 gas meter and have just had my gas bill through. I have used 929 units in the time since my last bill:

Reading Last Time: 465

Reading this time: 1394

My company Southern Electric then did the following calculation:

929 units x correction factor 1.02264 = 950.03
    950.03 cu mtrs x calorific value 39.5/conversion factor 3.6 = 10423.94

Units converted to kilowatt hours: 10423.94kwh

Should they need to do this calculation? I thought they only needed to do this if it was an Imperial gas meter (ft3)?

I would be so grateful if you could get back to me as soon as possible!

Thanks, Andy Morris
  • walruspaul
    walruspaul Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone and thanks for the responses.

the bill was three months more or less...so about £150 per month when you think about it.

I checked the readings and the leccy is right, but the gas reading for this month is wrong, its still less today so this is good!:j

Brian, Is it best to call te reading in and ask them to correct it? i normally provide mine online, although i dont remember very often!:o What I mean is will they know to correct it? also what do you think re the £150 per month is that aboutright?

debthater, the energy monitor is a great idea, i'll get one so i can show the others how muh they are wasting! :cool:

thanks for your thoughts again

walruspaul
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    eg0u30a8 wrote: »
    I have an M3 gas meter and have just had my gas bill through. I have used 929 units in the time since my last bill:

Units converted to kilowatt hours: 10423.94kwh

Should they need to do this calculation? I thought they only needed to do this if it was an Imperial gas meter (ft3)?

Your meter records metric units that need to be converted to kwh.

An imperial unit is approx 31kwh whereas a metric unit is approx 11kwh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure