Handbag Theft Scam

Options

Comments

• Bowling_4_Gold
    Bowling_4_Gold Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    Are you going to answer my question about whether the person featured in the December story was the same person who is a friend of your sister? If not, then it seems that this same scam has happened at least twice in the same location. very odd!

To be honest, I am not going to traul through your links to find which one was from December, then analyse it for similarities, then report back to you.

Not only will this eat into my time, but it may well involve contact with my Sister and her partner and perhaps his colleague which I simply do not have time to do. To compensate, here is a gift for the trouble you went to typing out your posts. :easter_ba
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • Bowling_4_Gold
    Options
    I can't believe this has spread out 10 pages for what appeared to me to be a relatively straight-forward warning.
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It isn't a warning though, it's a made up story with very little substance.
  • Bowling_4_Gold
    Options
    CHR15 wrote: »
    It isn't a warning though, it's a made up story with very little substance.

Are we going round in circles?

I point out that I THINK it is true
    Another MSE says 'No, its a made up piece of b/s'
    I bring evidence to say it's true
    Another MSE says, referring to my evidence, 'No, its a made up piece of b/s'
    Some other MSE replies with something off-topic
    Back to 1st stage

No wonder it's spread out over 10 pages!
    Richard Branson
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok Bowling_4_Gold here is your story :-

I was told this by my Sister when she visited us the other week.

Basically, My Sister's friend (lets call her Jude) went shopping in Bluewater, Kent and went to the toilet. She hung her handbag on a hook outside the cubicle, which unfortunatley was stolen. Jude did all the normal things (look round, ask in shops, call the police etc) but to no avaial and went home. After a few days, Jude recieved a phone call supposedly from John Lewis saying they found her bag and asking when will she come and collect it. At the pre-arranged time, she went to John Lewis to collect her bag; the staff did not know anything about it so after about an hour or two of confusion, Jude went home. As she got home, she stepped inside and her house had been burgled- completely cleared out. Of course, now she knows the John Lewis phone call was fake (made by the thiefs using the number stored on the phone which was in the stolen bag) and that the thiefs had her house keys (in the stolen bag) and of course knew she was going to be out for over an hour looking for the bag, so the perfect crime!

This is a true story, and I do hope none of you ever have to go through something like this. Just a warning - never leave your house empty when going to retrieve a stolen handbag!

And this is the one from the December story:-

I heard this story from a friend today her CEO told her. Her sister went shopping in John
    Lewis. She visited the ladies room and hung her handbag on the back of the
    toilet door. As she carried on about her business, a hand suddenly appeared
    over the top of the stall and grabbed her bag clean off the hook!!!

As if this wasn't bad enough, she reported the incident to the manager of the
    store. A couple of days later she took a call to say her bag had been found,
    without her purse. She arranged a time to go and meet the manager to collect
    her things.

On arriving at John Lewis at the agreed time, the manager was not expecting
    her - nothing had been found, no one had called.

When the lady got home, her house had been burgled, with no sign of forced
    entry, they had used her Driving licence for the address and her keys to let
    themselves in!!!!!!

I promise this is real - it isn't just a scaremongering story, I was so
    shocked at how complex bag snatching crime has become.

Please be extra vigilant ladies, Christmas is a bad time for this sort of
    thing anyway, but with the credit crunch there are a lot of desperate
    criminals out there!!

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php?t84692.html

Do you see the similarities?

Also, if there is only one occurrence of this "scam", and it happened to your sister's friend, how come this story is all over the net. Has she been posting this "warning" on many websites? I think not.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • whitegoods_engineer
    Options
    Are we going round in circles?

I point out that I THINK it is true

No, you clearly don't think quite obviously.

I can only assume you are rather stupid and simple minded.
  • whitegoods_engineer
    Options
    Also, how is it that Bowling_4_gold has managed to type his warning using almost verbatim the same paragraph structure with just a few details changed from one of the other myths circulating on the net?

Bowling_4_gold has cut and pasted and then had the audacity to claim he was writing a warning.

Attention seeker perhaps??
  • Bowling_4_Gold
    edited 26 May 2009 at 8:07PM
    Options
    No, you clearly don't think quite obviously.

I made 'I THINK' bold, not just 'THINK' , showing that me as an individual has an opinion, which overs obviously cannot understand.

I can only assume you are, actually, because you seem to not be able to understand the difference between 'I THINK' and 'THINK' on it's own. Go on, say it out loud to yourself now, then re-read my post. Maybe that will help you understand.
    Richard Branson
  • lifesuckssometimes
    Options
    I can't believe this has spread out 10 pages for what appeared to me to be a relatively straight-forward warning.

Many of the regulars on mse love to put down insult and gang up on ops..
    Just next time get a story off the net that's not that well known. Not a put down just a warning of the roasting you will get from our local pitbulls :D:rotfl:
    NO!
    MY NAME IS NOT WORZEL
    IM JUST FEELING SLIGHTLY ROUGH TODAY
  • Bowling_4_Gold
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    Do you see the similarities?

Also, if there is only one occurrence of this "scam", and it happened to your sister's friend, how come this story is all over the net. Has she been posting this "warning" on many websites? I think not.

Yes, I do see the similarites, but I also see the differences.

I never said or claimed it to have only happened to my BIL's colleague and as I'm sure youre well aware, if a thief gets away with a crime once, they will only be encouraged to commit again - It's just common sense. I can justify this point with evidence, but I shan't at the moment.
    Richard Branson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport