2»

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sturll wrote: »
    I never declare my kids in US hotels

How would you claim against the hotel if they had a serious accident in the hotel?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    How would you claim against the hotel if they had a serious accident in the hotel?

That is not something i have ever thought about.

In any case i would assume the hotel has a duty of care toward anyone who enters the building - not just paying guests.
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 May 2009 at 7:04PM
    Options
    In any case i would assume the hotel has a duty of care toward anyone who enters the building - not just paying guests.
    IMHO, in relation to unregistered guests sleeping in hotel rooms, if the children are not registered guests and the hotel is unaware of their existance, I doubt the hotel would be liable for their safety.

Needless to say, if in saving a couple of quid ones children were to come to harm in a hotel fire because nobody knew that they were there to be rescued, it would be a rather moot point as to whether one could claim remuneration for their lives. :(
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • sturll
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tojo_Ralph wrote: »
    IMHO, in relation to unregistered guests sleeping in hotel rooms, if the children are not registered guests and the hotel is unaware of their existance, I doubt the hotel would be liable for their safety.

Needless to say, if in saving a couple of quid ones children were to come to harm in a hotel fire because nobody knew that they were there to be rescued, it would be a rather moot point as to whether one could claim remuneration for their lives. :(

When you walk up and check into a hotel in the US and in the UK you are never (or at least i have never) been asked my children's names. In fact in many hotels you do not even mention children, just the adults.
    That implies (and i say implies because i do no know for sure) that the hotel has a duty of care over anyone within the building.
    For instance, and i know you are probably aware there is case law in the UK whereby companies (particularly construction) have been held to have a reasonable duty of care over trespassers.

In any case, i would be very very surprised if in the instance of a hotel fire the fire brigade would rely solely on a guest list as to the occupants of the building.
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 May 2009 at 8:42PM
    Options
    I never declare my kids in US hotels because it always shaves of a few dollars.
    When you walk up and check into a hotel in the US and in the UK you are never (or at least i have never) been asked my children's names. In fact in many hotels you do not even mention children, just the adults.
    Your initial comment stated or at least implied that to save a few dollars you do not advise hotels that you will have children staying in the room. I would see this as completely different from not stating the names of ones children when checking in.
    For instance, and i know you are probably aware there is case law in the UK whereby companies (particularly construction) have been held to have a reasonable duty of care over trespassers.
    The way the law works these days, nothing suprises me with regards to who would be deemed to have duty of care, however the way I see the world, I would have thought that common decency dictates that guests have a a degree of obligation to advise a hotel of how many guests are staying in a room.
    In any case, I would be very very surprised if in the instance of a hotel fire the fire brigade would rely solely on a guest list as to the occupants of the building.
    I would be even more suprised to see the fire brigade enter a burning building if hotel staff had advised them that all guests had been accounted for. :)

Anyway, as I said, compo would be the least of my concerns, however I guess what we need to answer the duty of care question is a case or two that have been to court. :)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • sturll
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tojo_Ralph wrote: »
    Your initial comment stated or at least implied that to save a few dollars you do not advise hotels that you will have children staying in the room. I would see this as completely different from not stating the names of ones children when checking in.

The way the law works these days, nothing suprises me with regards to who would be deemed to have duty of care, however the way I see the world, I would have thought that common decency dictates that guests have a a degree of obligation to advise a hotel of how many guests are staying in a room.

I would be even more suprised to see the fire brigade enter a burning building if hotel staff had advised them that all guests had been accounted for. :)

Anyway, as I said, compo would be the least of my concerns, however I guess what we need to answer the duty of care question is a case or two that have been to court. :)

It does appear i have contradicted myself, but what i meant was if i pre book i never declare the children, but if i walk up i don't actively seek to avoid paying for them - i pay.

In any case i do agree that perhaps there should be an obligation. But in all walks of life and in every scenario imaginable people seek to avoid their obligation for one reason or another.

In regards to a case you are right, a quick search on Lexis Nexis brought up nothing, and Westlaw was as much use.

Still, as you quite rightly put - in the circumstances, compensation would be the least of any parents worries.
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 May 2009 at 11:34PM
    Options
    Out of interest, we have just booked tickets to Portugal with Aer Lingus. We are flying for 99p (plus charges takes it to about £50) each, but our daughter (19mo, will be 23mo when we fly) would have been charged £20 as an 'infant' (i.e <2 yrs). Even though there are slightly fewer charges, we were cheaper than she was.

Their site actually says "if you want to book an infant a seat, then just select a normal child price", so we did. I can't see that we've done anything wrong.

The interesting thing is that they do technically require you to have an airline-approved child seat; so to the OP - did they ask you about this? I don't know if our car seat is 'airline approved', nor do I really want to lug it all the way to Portugal.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    Options
    We once flew from Shannon to Palma Mallorca with Ryanair.

I booked my <2 year old as a child, as it was cheaper than as an infant and provided a 10kg baggage allowance plus a seat on the plane.

Got to the airport and Ryanair check-in staff immediately spotted it and made me buy a return infant ticket, at €40. As we lost 10kg hand baggage allowance, I had to check that in, too. Another €40.

In fairness, they refunded the unused child ticket to my card, a few days later.
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 June 2009 at 7:21PM
    Options
    In fairness, this is absolutely clear in Ryanair's terms and conditions
    Children aged between 8 days to 23 months inclusive, as of the date of travel cannot travel in their own seat and must sit on an adult's lap (one infant per adult). N.B. Extra seats cannot be purchased for infants.
    whereas Aer Lingus say:
    You can also choose to purchase a seat for your infant, as long as you bring an approved, forward facing car seat for the child to sit in.

out of interest, Easyjet are fine with booking a seat for an infant (at normal child prices) but you cannot do it on their web site, you have to phone them.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I flew with Ryanair just a few days before my 2 yr old's birthday, and had to book her as an infant. They insisted on checking her passport, and her DOB. I did book her as a child a few months before, and at that time they did not have the warning stated clearly on their site that you couldn't book a seat for an infant. They have got really strict about it.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport