Cheap tip for families with infants on ryanair

Options
Megansmum
Megansmum Posts: 327 Forumite
First Post
edited 21 May 2009 at 8:30PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hi,

We recently went to Pisa with our 22 month old daughter. Booking online i saw that as a child she would cost £10 total but as an infant it was £19 each way plus taxes. :mad: Also, with an infant you cannot do online check in and so it costs more to check in at the airport.

I priced up putting her as an infant and the total was £135, but if we put her as a child and did online check in and she got her own seat and 10 kilo hand luggage it was £60. :D

We took the risk and booked her as a child! :o It was fine - nobody checked her age or anything and she was a lot more relaxed and happy in her own seat than having to be on my knee!

I know this is not great, and when i had to put her date of birth and passport number in when i did the online check in i thought it would flag up the discrepancy, but it didn't! ;)

So, in the interests of the money saving ethos - i thought i would let all you good folks on here know of the possibility of real money savings..... and let you battle with your own consciences!!

Happy Holidays!!! :rotfl:
2009 - Attempting to grow my own Kitchen garden..... :o did it!!!
2010 - Attempting to make my garden a beautiful place for dd2 to enjoy!

Comments

• PolishBigSpender
    Options
    It's not a cheap tip at all. Ryanair will ask for photographic ID for children in the near future (if they haven't started already!) and this can only be a passport. Getting caught at the airport could be a rather expensive mistake to make :)
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • Megansmum
    First Post
    Options
    It's not a cheap tip at all. Ryanair will ask for photographic ID for children in the near future (if they haven't started already!) and this can only be a passport. Getting caught at the airport could be a rather expensive mistake to make :)

We did have to show her passport at the gate before we boarded the plane - they checked it was her, they just didn't check her age compared to the age we had PAID for!
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ....until ryanair check their age and cancel the booking for all the passengers on the reservation.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Megansmum wrote: »
    Hi,

So, in the interests of the money saving ethos - i thought i would let all you good folks on here know of the possibility of real money savings..... and let you battle with your own consciences!!

So you think that is OK to commit fraud to save a few quid, sorry, I don't.:rolleyes:
  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    So you think that is OK to commit fraud to save a few quid, sorry, I don't.:rolleyes:

Half our government seem to ;)
  • becominganobsessivesaver
    Options

I don't think this is fraud! The Ryanair site says children under 16, not children 2-16, therefore if anyone wants to book a child fare for their infant I believe they can.
    I imagine in some instances the infant fare is cheaper, just when there is an offer the child fare may give a better price
  • Poppydaisy_2
    Options
    I was given a tip by an independent travel agent when getting quotes for holidays with my husband and 2 children.

She said always get a quote for 2 adults and 2 children and then another for 4 adults. If a hotel room sleeps 4, you pay under-occupancy for the children + they do not qualify for online savings or other special offers. You'll be surprised how often is does work out cheaper booking as 4 adults. I have always checked with the relevant tour operator before booking as such (we have done this 3 times now) and it's never been a problem.

Booking an infant as a child is exactly the same and why should you pay more for an infant when they have no seat or luggage allowance?
  • Megansmum
    First Post
    Options
    ACTUALLY when we considered which way to go on the pricing and "child" versus "infant" issue we phoned our local travel agents and asked their flight expert HIS opinion and HE said "go for it! As long as we have the money to pay the extra should it be flagged up then why not " HIS EXACT WORDS!! THAT was good enough for me.:D

And sorry ... i thought this was a MONEY SAVING FORUM ...... I saved money......duh !! :confused:
  • Megansmum
    First Post
    Options

and, i don't believe i commited fraud - i didn't lie about her age, i put her date of birth in correctly and her passport number, and was happy showing her passport at the airport. I call my daughter a child anyway - not an infant. It is Ryanairs problem with not checking passports correctly. I am MORE than happy that I saved "a few quid". Considering we fly with them at least 6 times a year - until her 2nd birthday i think i will have saved CONSIDERABLY more !:D
  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Megansmum wrote: »
    and, i don't believe i commited fraud - i didn't lie about her age, i put her date of birth in correctly and her passport number, and was happy showing her passport at the airport. I call my daughter a child anyway - not an infant. It is Ryanairs problem with not checking passports correctly. I am MORE than happy that I saved "a few quid". Considering we fly with them at least 6 times a year - until her 2nd birthday i think i will have saved CONSIDERABLY more !:D

I wouldn't worry about what people think.

I never declare my kids in US hotels because it always shaves of a few dollars.

And its not fraud. Whoever said it was probably just booked some flights before reading this thread and realised they had just been shafted.

:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport