NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Disabled parking bays

Replies

• NileNile Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    The previous post with s black person should read sn1gger but the spellchecker won't allow it.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • PalPal Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    The arguements above about lifestyle choices and people parking in disabled and parent & child bays when they are not supposed to is exactly why I raised my previous question.

Surely the answer is to place the disabled and parent & child bays further away from the store, but in such a way that they are still advantageous to the people that need them. For example:

- wide spaces;
    - close to a trolley pick up and drop off point;
    - close to a supermarket wheelchair pick up point;
    - smooth pathway to the store;
    - preferably under cover from the elements (this might be a bit tricky).

If this could all be done, it should mean that other people do not want to use the spaces but they are still very useful for those that need them. The only problem is that it would be a lot more expensive.

I am not sure that this would help Nickster, but if the choice is between having to use a normal parking bay because all the disabled ones are full of morons, or a disabled one with the above facilities that is a bit further away, would the latter be preferable?

The only other alternative is to police the bays which would also be expensive, and supermarkets are reluctant to do because they do not want to annoy their customers. Even idiots spend money.
  • vanoonoovanoonoo Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    In my local tesco they have a special area where shoppers with disabilities or that are part of the parent baby club can park.  You need to register to get a special security card but it means you can park in an area which is really close to the store, has really wide spaces, loads of trolley bays and nice smooth pathways with no manhole covers or speed humps to navigate.  The area is "manned" by one of those automatic barriers like in NCP style carparks that lifts up when you insert your card and the whole system works really well.  In addition to the "members" area there are a few disabled bays and parent and child bays near to the store in the regular car park that anyone can use.

I am looking forward to the the introduction of bays for
    • hangover day
    • fat people
    • feeling premenstrual
    • pregnant with first child
    • just want to use the cashpoint
    • I like to drive in the opposite direction to the arrows
    Blah
  • In inner city shops where land is less plentiful for car parks there are more often multi-storey car parks (unfortunately not usually free).  I find that in these there seems far less competition for parent/child spaces (I don't know about the disabled spaces since I don't use them).  Is it it just walking in the elements that people try and avoid?  I can sympathise when its pouring with rain but in all honesty I don't think many of us would suffer from parking in the furthest space from the store and walking that little bit further.  The one that really still gets me is parking at the gym.  Why on earth avoid walking so that you can get onto a treadmill quicker?  
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    28.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am normally in a rush when I'm shopping and I think that aplies to a lot o other people too.

I think we sometimes try to pack too much in to our lives.

I would love a slower pace of life and for that reason France appeals a great deal. In some ways I'd like to move, but when you think about your family and dependents it isn't really practical.

I think we have got it wrong over here.
    Our working hours are too long and holidays too short.
    I think it's most difficult for families.
  • PalPal Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    There was a classic picture circulating on the internet a few months ago of a gym in America that had about 10 steps leading up to the entrance. It had both and up and down escalators.
  • The good thing about parent & child spaces is that it means careless people and over excited children flinging open car doors are not going to hit mine with them.

In assembling or collapsing buggies and suchlike my car does not get scratched 'cos I'm no where near these spaces!

What I would REALLY like to know is (as a single person with no kids) - who will be the first supermarket to introduce what many people are desperate to see introduced - CHILD FREE periods of shopping!

We've had naked shopping so I'm ever hopeful.

mixed-smiley-010.gif

PS - I don't mind kids. I just can't manage a whole one!
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • I find town centre Marks and Spencer are usually relatively child free.
  • vanoonoovanoonoo Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    my local tesco is pretty quiet and child free between 4pm and 5pm on weekdays and after nine pm in the evenings.
    Blah
  • As a parent of two small children I would love Pal's car
    park idea.

As for the child free shopping time how about supermarket creches?

We parents would love quiet shopping time too!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals