Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, I never went to uni and im now 26, thinking of doing a 6 month part time course that costs £1,000 at Oxford Brookes Uni. i want to do it as part of a masters that ill go onto eventually.
    the masters is 9 modules at £1,000 each, but as i will probably be doing it part time, is this something i can get a student loan for? i have no idea how any of it works or if id be eligible.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Katapolt wrote: »
    Hi, I never went to uni and im now 26, thinking of doing a 6 month part time course that costs £1,000 at Oxford Brookes Uni. i want to do it as part of a masters that ill go onto eventually.
    the masters is 9 modules at £1,000 each, but as i will probably be doing it part time, is this something i can get a student loan for? i have no idea how any of it works or if id be eligible.

While it's not impossible it's unlikely that you would be accepted on a postgraduate course without already having an undergraduate degree. If you have been told by the uni that they will accept you then you can probably take out a postgraduate loan (although I don't know if they would also require a certain level of previous education)

https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan
  • hello,
    im due to start a computing course this month and i applied for student finance in December 2017, it has been approved and says payment sheduled, it also says first payment should of been made in september 17 and second payment in jan 18 but since im only starting the course in jan 18 will i get septembers and jan payment at once when i start my course?

thanks for help
    Good things come to those who wait...

House Deposit Savings: £450/£10,000
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect it's a standard letter which hasn't been amended to suit your particular circumstances. I'd be very surprised if you get payment for September to January!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • bexlo
    Options
    slcworker wrote: »
    Hey, i have alot of Knowledge of how the student loans procedure works. If anyone needs any help, i can advise as much general info.
    Obviously i cant divulge into specifics due to Data Protection and the fact that i'd get fired, but anything i can help with, just let me know.

Hi perhaps you can help me? I am on a Plan 1 type loan I believe taken out between 2003 and 2006 for my undergrad studies in England. I have been working full time since mid 2008 with a 9 month break for maternity in 2013 though I think very small repayment amounts were taken from my stat mat. pay even during this time. I misplaced my student loan details and called up to try and regain online access to monitor my repayments - this was between 12 and 18 months ago. I was given my CRN and the account was reset and I have intermittently checked the amount and had calculated that it will all be paid in the next tax year....

I moved house several weeks ago and logged on today thinking 'I really must update my details so that correspondence comes through when they send it' - went to the relevant page...my name...different address and post code to what I was expecting (like other end of the country)...same DOB...different NI no. I check the correspondence and its NOT MY ACCOUNT at all but someone elses!

I immediately call SLC and provide them with my details and the CRN that I was given...they can't explain it and have had to pass it up the chain, I will hear from them in 5 working days apparently and they would absolutely not give me any details of y actual account until they have 'confirmed my identity'... I feel like they tried to make it was my fault when its clearly their mistake and quite possibly a breach of data protection... Should I make a formal complaint? Are my payments definitely linked to my NI no. and therefore will be lodged against the correct debt?

Help please!
  • OMR
    OMR Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know if the sale of a flat would count as income, in relation to Student Loan Repayments?
    If anyone knows of an official response to this, I'd be grateful for the web page. I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Thanks everyone.
  • IamGroot_2
    Options
    My (pre-98) student loan was transferred from SLC to erudio student loans not sure when this happened. . . . after I deferred it each year whilst with SLC because I was earning under the threshold, i tried to defer with erudio but was given excuse after excuse such as they never received my deferment letter/no record of last call when i tried to get it sorted.

It got to the point after 10 months they said my account was deferred and I made sure that I was sending deferment letters through to them each year.
    About 7 years ago i got a debt letter from an agency saying that my account was in arrears and I had to start repaying it back.
    They said I had to start paying as I couldn't defer now since my account was in arrears no matter what my circumstances were. . . .

So I started paying and then after a year i lost my job so couldn't afford any more payments.
    I informed them and they said they would be in touch. . . . but they never did,

Fast forward to today and I received a letter from Erudio Student Loans (first in many years) saying that my account in now Statute barred and that they want to refund me money & interest from payments I made after it became statute barred.

Is this for real? Am i due this money?
  • LushesFaith
    Options
    What is the point of the government selling on Student Loan debt if the terms remain the same? My loan has been sold on to Income Contingent Student Loans 1 (2002-2006) plc. I am concerned that despite the letter saying that the terms stay the same that sometime in the future something could change. I dont feel confident. Because I fail to see why sell something if it is dealt with the same way. Will the debt be cleared after 30plus years or does this now mean its for eternity till cleared.
    To make money work for me
    To save and do great things with the family
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the point of the government selling on Student Loan debt if the terms remain the same?

They're selling it because it gets it off the government loan books. I imagine if they tried to do it with the terms being made worse there would have been a huge fuss.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is the point of the government selling on Student Loan debt if the terms remain the same? My loan has been sold on to Income Contingent Student Loans 1 (2002-2006) plc. I am concerned that despite the letter saying that the terms stay the same that sometime in the future something could change. I dont feel confident. Because I fail to see why sell something if it is dealt with the same way. Will the debt be cleared after 30plus years or does this now mean its for eternity till cleared.

The Government are giving up receiving the income stream of repayments over the next however many decades in preference for a (albeit severely discounted) lump sum of cash now to reduce Government debt.

The loans in question are written off at age 65. The Sale of Student Loans Act 2008 prevents loans being sold on worse terms than equivalent unsold loans of the same type.

The terms of loans are still controlled by the Government and are set in legislation. The Government have repeatedly said they have no plans to change the terms of pre-2012 loans which if anything is a bad thing as the repayment threshold on post-2012 loans is being changed to £25000 while the threshold for pre-2012 loans isn't being touched.

The loans continue to be collected by SLC via HMRC. The only difference is that the Government now have no right to the repayments which must be passed to the loan purchaser.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback