Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• PixPop
    Options
    Hi there, I had to withdraw from my Masters after one month. I had a loan and had received the first payment. Will I have to pay that back straight away or will it be taken the same way my undergraduate loan is?
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PixPop wrote: »
    Hi there, I had to withdraw from my Masters after one month. I had a loan and had received the first payment. Will I have to pay that back straight away or will it be taken the same way my undergraduate loan is?

You're entitled to 1/365ths of your maximum amount for every day between 1st September and the date your provider tells Student Finance you've withdrawn. This is repayable at 6% of earnings over £21,000. The rest will need to be paid back now.
  • Clalala
    Options
    Hi
    Do you know if it’s correct a student loan is treated as income by Housing benefits?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Clalala wrote: »
    Hi
    Do you know if it’s correct a student loan is treated as income by Housing benefits?

Yes it’s counted as income, why shouldn’t it be.
  • erato
    Options
    Hiya...

I've got a bit of a strange situation. I live with my grandparents, who are retired, in London. They don't speak a whole lot of English. I am estranged from both parents.

Just want be sure what the procedure is in my case when applying for student finance.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    erato wrote: »
    Hiya...

I've got a bit of a strange situation. I live with my grandparents, who are retired, in London. They don't speak a whole lot of English. I am estranged from both parents.

Just want be sure what the procedure is in my case when applying for student finance.

Do you have documentary evidence that you are estranged? I suggest that you begin by establishing what you need to give Student Finance to confirm that you are estranged. If you are able to do this, you will be assessed as if your family had zero income and so will qualify for the maximum loan available.
  • Hi. Hoping you may be able to help. I’m studying an OU degree full time as well as running a small (barely earning) business and single mum to 2 children. Currently I get the usual benefits for a working single mum including some help towards housing costs as well as carers allowance as my income is low and one of my children is disabled. Is there any funding available that won’t affect the benefits I get to help towards study materials etc?
  • DaveKinggston
    Options
    Maybe do you know how I can try to get a student loan when I study abroad, in Spain.
  • rGriffiths
    Options
    Hi please can you offer advice

SLC have recently increased my loan repayment amount by approx £4000.00

I contacted them and was told that due to an error on their part in 2000/01 i was credited with funds that should have been paid to another student with the same name in England (I was under Welsh scheme)

I was not notified in any way of any such error, simply issued with a new statement accounting for funds SLC now state I owe them with interest recalculated for the period with no explanation for the massive increase to my outstanding balance

This is an error on the part of SLC by their own admission

I feel it is unfair and unjust to expect me to pay interest on a payment error made by them let alone pay almost £4000.00 beyond the amount I've been informed I owed and have been repaying in good faith.

SLC have made it extremely difficult for me to gain information or even a full breakdown statement of the recalculation which surely by law I am entitled to receive

Please can you advise me what my rights are legally in terms of challenging this with SLC and/or how best to go about gaining a full explanation and financial breakdown of the recalculation from SLC apart from sending a letter/email of complaint I'm left feeling powerless and frustrated and upset by a sudden increased debt of over £4000.00

Any advice or assistance will be hugely appreciated

Many thanks
    R Griffiths
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rGriffiths wrote: »
    I'm left feeling powerless and frustrated and upset by a sudden increased debt of over £4000.00

Did you actually receive the extra £4000? If so presumably you spent it rather than becoming "powerless and frustrated and upset", so I'm not sure why being asked to repay it now (if indeed you ever get to the point of repaying the final £4000 of your loan) is so distressing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback