Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to add to what Ed said, and to pick up on these bits:
    I don't understand how my interest could have accrued to take me over what I borrowed initially.
    Would I have been paying interest still whilst on maternity leave? I think it is disgusting. As a student I was not made aware of the consequences of this loan. That may sound pathetic but it was billed to me as an interest free loan. Nobody at any point mentioned this would change after my course had ended.
    Hate to break it to you, but you started to accrue interest on this loan on the day you took it out, so each year throughout your degree the total you owed was increasing, so that you always owed more than you'd originally borrowed. Nothing changed after your course ended.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • tiredwithtwins
    Options
    hi everyone,
    just after some advice as im concerned im going to overpay the final balance in the next couple of months.
    I checked the slc this morning to check my balance, and last years contributions still haven't come off my account .. as im down to the last £125ish, im worried my employer (the NHS) is going to carry on making deductions when the balance is actually cleared. When I spoke to payroll they said they receive communication from the slc when to stop taking the deduction, but as the loan balance doesn't seem to be updated until the end of august every year I don't want to carry on making payments and end up having the palaver of reclaiming (plus im a broke single parent, I cant afford it!!). I rang the slc a few years ago as I disputed the balance, and they say they don't update the balance until they receive communication from the employers!!
    can anyone shed any light on what happens?
    thank you!!! Sue :)
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • gatters
    gatters Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sue,

If complete repayment is imminent, you'll need to phone SLC and perhaps manually inform them of your repayments made since their records were last updated.

SLC should then issue a stop notice to your employer, and you can pay the remaining balance either by a direct debit or a one off payment.

Good luck, it's a bit of a faff and check your payslips carefully as it took me months to stop repayment. I believe there's around £40m a year overpayments taken in error.
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask questions about postgrad student loans? If not, just let me know and I'll repost in a new thread:

I am due to begin my MA with the OU in October and am going to apply for a postgrad student loan. The course is made up of 2 modules, I wanted to study one module in 2017/18, then take a break and begin the second module in 2019/20. Does anybody know if this is possible and how it works in terms of the student loan?

This is the second time I've attempted masters-level study. The first time I was part-way through my first module (different course) when I had to drop out due to personal reasons. I funded that myself so there were no implications, but this is part of the reason why I want to take a break in between modules if possible. However, just playing devils' advocate, what would happen if, for example, I complete the first module and then don't go on to study the second for whatever reason? This is not my intention, but I've never had a student loan before and wanted to find out what tends to happen in this sort of scenario.
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,796 as of 04/24
  • Craftysue
    Options
    Student finance want prove that i'm separated from my husband. I can't use council tax bill as i have my 22 year old student son living with me.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Craftysue wrote: »
    Student finance want prove that i'm separated from my husband. I can't use council tax bill as i have my 22 year old student son living with me.

Does your husband have council tax proof that he is living elsewhere?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Craftysue wrote: »

What proof have they said they will accept?
  • Fruity1
    Fruity1 Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, not been on MSE in ages so apologies if I'm in the wrong place. My daughter applied for student finance for tuition and also maintenance. She was accepted for both based on doing a foundation year then 3 year degree- I believe. She got better grades than expected so changed the course to a straight 3 year degree. She contacted student finance who sent a new form which was duly completed and returned. Off she went to uni 3 weeks ago. Has a text advising information was received. Spoke to student finance who initially told her it would be sorted by September 27th then by tomorrow and now it's showing as finance blocked. She has received first instalment of maintenance so can afford her halls rent. Does anyone have a number where we can speak to someone who will be helpful asap. As you can imagine I have a very distressed daughter hours from home.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fruity1 wrote: »
    Has a text advising information was received. Spoke to student finance who initially told her it would be sorted by September 27th then by tomorrow and now it's showing as finance blocked. She has received first instalment of maintenance so can afford her halls rent. Does anyone have a number where we can speak to someone who will be helpful asap. As you can imagine I have a very distressed daughter hours from home.
    I'd strongly suggest she gets herself over to whatever student support services are available where she is. These are likely to include the Students Union and something within the Registry. They will be used to this sort of situation (both in terms of student finance problems and very upset students far from home), and will have the contact details your DD needs.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • greenbrucelee
    Options
    Sorry I believe I may have posted in the wrong section so am posting my query again. Sorry if this is the wrong thing to do.

I had student loans in 96,97,98 I have never made any repayments and it is very unlikely I will ever earn the amount stated in the deferment letters.

Will my loans be written off when I am 50? (I am now 40)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback