We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OS Daily - 11th May 2009

124

Comments

  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Good morning - just!

    Not read the thread yet so (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) where needed.

    In bed for most of yesterday with a killer migraine - my bodies way of dealing with stress I suppose :mad: A bit better today but am rushing round trying to catch up on all the jobs that got left yesterday.

    Washing out & blowing on the line & spaghetti carbonarra for dinner but that's about all my plans so far. My friend is coming round for lunch who I haven't seen since Dad went into hospital, it'll be great to have a catch up.

    Louise xxx
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Elona - all I can do is deeply sigh. My shopping is delivered, and long ago I vowed never, ever to go shopping with dear heart - we actually shouted at each other in the supermarket once which is unheard of. I always leave him in the cafe. Last night dear heart, seeing how tired I looked (and felt!) heated up a tin of potatoes with a tin of sweetcorn, added a chopped up tin of chicken and a tin of condensed chicken and white wine soup. And tarragon. Which he told me is dutch for dragon. It tasted great, and I enjoyed it, but there goes the potato salad, the already defrosted sweetcorn for mexican toast, the sandwiches for darling father when he visits and the casserole base. Also I think it could have done with a side veg. I would not dream of complaining, though, as it was a nutritious, tasty, hot meal that was relatively inexpensive and that I didn't have to cook. And it was also flavoured with cuddles which does help. :o

    I really need to get the cupboard with the tins in sorted out as I suspect that there was less than he thought.

    Second lot of washing on line, third lot of washing in, some weeds forcibly removed from their snug homes and little bear is napping. I am taking it easy.

    And trying to resist starting a new blanket before I have finished this one. But the right needles have come and I have the wool and I can't wait to see what it looks like...

    Hugs to all.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,240 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Afternoon all.

    ((((HUGS)))) to all who are not feeling their best today. And anyone else who wants one.

    Had a bit of a rough weekend - have spent the last 2 days existing on yogurt and scrambled egg, as I have a massive (half an inch across) mouth ulcer, right under my lower plate. Mega-ouch! Mr LW has suggested pasta with cheese sauce for dins tonight, as that's reasonably soft.

    We've been trying to get ourselves organised ready for our holiday (we don't go til 28th May, but I'm paranoid about organisation) so yesterday we finalised the route and printed out the relevant maps from Autoroute. Mr LW thinks it amusing that I re-use paper that's been printed on one side for this. I've told him he's doing the driving through Birmingham and Glasgow - I refuse!

    I've also decided I'm going to transfer my accounts spreadsheets onto my PDA so that I can keep a proper check on our spending while we're away. Mr LW will spend money like a man with no arms if I let him, so I'll have to keep an eye on him. I do wonder if the holiday is worth all the stress of organising it, worrying about what's going to go wrong, etc etc, but Mr LW is already getting excited (he's 59 going on 5 I reckon) so hopefully it'll be worth it.

    Sunny but very windy here today, which is good as I have a lineful of towels outside.

    I suppose I ought to go and tackle the small mountain of washing up that's on the top in the kitchen...... later, folks.:o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Afternoon all :) Hope you are all well :)

    The guiness chocolate cake I made last week worked really well - it was very very dark and the recipient loved it.

    Rissoles (made with leftover lamb and lots of spices) for tea tonight with salad, rice and pitta bread.

    I must admit to being massively non-os with cleaning. My dad sells stuff to industrial kitchens that dissolve *everything* - and I am all for the lazy/least amount scrubbing approach. *looks embarrassed*

    hugs to everyone that needs them, cel x
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    hermoine wrote: »
    Taplady don't chickens have to be girls to lay eggs?

    :o:D never thought of that!;)

    (((hugs))) to PP and SunnyGirl - hope you both feel better soon x
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Dear heart is still stunned by the knitting pattern for chux tux or knitted covers for liberated battery hens.

    I have just planted five tomato plants. I shall let you know the survival rate. I have brown fingers :o Now need to get up energy to sort out the tubs for three pepper plants and two courgettes. Courgettes normally die on me, so fingers crossed. Also need to get seeds in for runner beans and salad. It may happen this week.

    Celyn - guiness chocolate cake? Sounds lovely and rich.

    Hugs to all.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2009 at 3:24PM
    Afternoon Guys!

    Washing on the line, grass cut and ironing done by OH:T

    I am hoping that our dinner works out ok. I cooked the sausages through for about 5 mins...just slightly browning them, then butter fried some red onion. Have put them in a lidded oven dish and added halved mushrooms and sliced red peppers, then added some red wine left over and some stock. Will do cous cous with it I think:confused:

    Managed to read for about 15 mins but eyes couldnt focus properly. Will take them tomorrow when I have my infusion as it gets quite boring and OH listens to his audio books:rolleyes:....im too boring!

    I hope you have all had a nice day. Hugs.

    PP
    xx

    I forgot to say that OH picked up a STARDROP kitchen cleaner spray from the 99p store a few days ago and its very good with a lemon scent. They also did a bathroom and window spray. Its a 750ml bottle.
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Money_saving_Diva_2 Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2009 at 3:38PM
    Afternoon all! hi.gif
    sistercas - I am waiting til I have enough for the toast-rack which is 15 tokens. Anything after that is a bonus though of course being a collecter I want all four items *chuckles*. Hope you have a fab time watching John Barrowman, I know I would!!!
    nic1 - hi honey, glad the new tablets are working well
    frugalswan - Well done on getting your leathers done up - just don't bend over too fast!!
    Tru - great pics of your chickens, I would love to have some.
    Elona - thank you for the hug hon!
    Halight - Do hope you are OK
    Penpin, JackieO, Smoky, Squiggles, Crankyhi.gif
    Planted four bags of pots last year and had one 'bag'of potatoes that were supposed to be harvested at Christmas but we forgot about them. The bag has been stood in the corner of the garden but we noticed the other day when we planted out our new ones that we have new growth in it so am assuming whatever potatoes were in there last winter have sprouted and are growing so we are going to leave them and see what happens.
    Weather is fabulous again today albeit a little windy, but we have three washing machine loads of washing out so it should all dry beautifully. I am about to head for the garden for an hour or so to pot up seedlings and generally tidy some more pots.
    Yellow stickered peppered steaks for dinner tonight cooked on the George Foreman I bought with vouchers earnt online, in the sale from Amazon. Have to say it isn't as sturdy as our old one and if I had paid the full £65 I would have been very disappointed, but it was ours for £25 in free vouchers so can't complain!
    I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day. Warm gentle hugs.giffor anyone who wants or needs one.
    Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • catman-without_wings
    catman-without_wings Posts: 94 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2009 at 6:02PM
    Afternoon kind and clever OS'ers. I hope this finds everyone well.

    We are fine DW is back home safely and doing more "mundane " work at the moment. We are however, hopeful that "great things" may come from her big trip so watch this space.

    As I am sure you all know I have a very bad habit of asking for cookery advice(I know I do this far too much and I am trying to "stand on my own two feet" honest:o) Anyway, I need yet more hepl. Please :confused:Here goes.......

    I would like to make DW a Manchester tart as she has fond memories of this from her school days. I have (shamefully:o I know) bought a ready made pastry case(whoopsied for 10p though) Can I use instant custard in it or should I make "proper" (Birds:rotfl:) custard?

    Does it make any difference whatsoever?
    Again, thanks for putting up with me. You are all very kind.
    I am cooking tonight I really enjoy cooking now-mainly thanks to all of you. Not sure what though. Either salmon(reduced) in a cream(reduced) and fresh dill(reduced) sauce with pasta(fresh reduced) ; Salad(reduced) with left over roast chicken and (reduced) Jersey Royals or a stir fry -got loads of veg in and got peppers, mushrooms and shallots today(reduced) and some frying steak also bought this morning and yes it WAS also reduced. Got bags of stuff that should have cost £37.63 for £10.05:j:j(but i forgot to get the washing up liquid and fabric conditioner that I went to ASDA for:o)
    I like this saving lark.
    Have a good day, and thank you.
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,664 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi Everyone :hello:

    Up and to the Drs. this morning for blood tests for me and DH to check choloestral. Called in at Netto. Then called to see new DGNephew, he's gorgeous.

    Back home to put away shopping and chill out with neighbour not seen since before we went away in January. Stripped rest of chicken from Saturday, and there was enough for dinner today, thought of doing full Potatoes and Veg. but after being good recently had a real fancy for baked beans and grilled oven chips. MMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.

    Carcass to be cooked up for stock later. BM been on once for a loaf (The Wright's Seeded packet on offer from Asda) and now on again for a Spicy Fruit Loaf.

    Pen-Pin, Sunnygirl and anyone who'd like one :grouphug:

    Catman - sorry but instant custard never seems to be the same, often goes watery. Get the milk boiling man.

    Take care - DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.