We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OS Daily - SATURDAY 9th MAY

Hi there! This is the Daily Thread for Saturday 9th May. This is an 'Over the garden fence' type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly, but if not, it's not a problem.
Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two Daily Threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new Daily Thread after they get up in the morning. Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start is just as good!


Morning OS chums! hi.gif
hgballoons.gifMSE Martin!
Lesley - I haven't spoken to Tris this week tho have received a couple of short but sweet emails. Am hoping he might make it online this morning, hence the early start.
Taplady - It's so lovely that you all get along with your sons new OH.
Essexgirl - congratulations to your OH.clap.gif
Sunnygirl - I am glad that your father is doing well. You and your family are in my prayers.
Pen-Pin - already a fan of the Mentalist and you will love Taken, it's really good.
Tru - good to see you posting again! And congrats on the chickens!!

Squiggles, Nic1, Ivyleaf, redruby, ThreeJays :hello:
Halight - Hope you are OK.

We went to collect a 1970's Kenwood Chef (from freecycle) yesterday and after finding our way to this tiny village and eventually to the correct cottage, what do we see in the driveway but our old Volvo! When we qualified for Motability we sold our old volvo estate to a lovely couple who ran a market garden stall and wanted something with some bigger boot space that wouldn't cost the earth! Three years later our beloved car is still running and she loves it as much as we did. I swear my OH was almost in tears and I had to stop him from hugging the darn thing!

My OH picked up a few bargains at Sainsburys yesterday including a free range chicken for £3. It had to be cooked as we had no freezer room so we had a lovely roast chicken dinner last night. The cat has a full tummy and I feel spoilt!l He also picked up a couple of Pukka pies for 30p each and some casserole veg for 20p. We will have the pies for dinner for us today I think with some mash and carrots. The left over chicken I will do something imaginative with on Sunday.

Things to do today - Answer my pms, get some more reviews done as my month deadline is up on sunday but firstly pot up my chilli seedlings into little pots to go back on the window sill and plant out the rest of the bedding plants and the lettuce plants in the garden, so hoping the sun shines again today. I now have another 12 chilli seedlings that have popped up the last couple of days and 10 tomato seedlings and 8 carrots so far! The spring onion seeds are being very shy as are the butternut squash.

Going to put the breadmaker on now and make a cup of redbush tea. I hope you all have a lovely day.Warm gentle smileyhug.giffor anyone who wants or needs one.

Diva.x


P.S. If anyone is eating Kingsmill and it has the Wallace and Gromit vouchers on I am still looking for more so please think of me! Thank you for the ones I have already been sent, you are all so kind. thanx.gif
To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
«1345

Comments

  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone. Just up having an early cuppa before sorting out breakfast then tackling the huge pile of ironing that has been building up. A lot of it is stuff that I only unpacked yesterday so the there's loads to do; I shall have to break it down into smaller amounts to make it less scary!

    MSD - hope Tris has been online by now.

    OS today is just for lunch - probably salad sandwiches. We have been invited out for dinner tonight, and also to visit a bar with live music. We'll be staying over with friends, too, so we can enjoy some Vino Collapsio.

    I Skyped the grandchildren last night, which was lovely - almost as good as being there with them. Well, it's the next best thing!

    Hope you all have a great Saturday.

    KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

    Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • christabell
    christabell Posts: 427 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Good morning everybody, I just noticed that my flat is a tip.....and I don't allow myself to clean/do laundry on Saturday or Sunday...these are my DAY's OFF:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I hope the FLYLADY does not come to visit...
    Today, my BEST is good enough.
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    edited 9 May 2009 at 7:36AM
    Morning Diva and Mioliere

    Its a lovely start to the day here not sure if it will last but fingers crossed.Its also a big day in this town as local team Burnley are playing for a place in the finals for promotion to the Premiership tonight.So no doubt the town will be awash with claret and blue.I'm dead jealous of those with tickets as hubby doesnt finish work till after kick off time so I didnt want to go on the match without him so we have to content ourselves with watching it on sky.I live right next to the stadium and as it will be televised we will have to watch cable tv before and after the game as the tv transmissions ruin our normal tv picture.Bizarre I know but true.If anyone is watching the game tonight without fixed allegiances give Burnley your support as we deserve promotion over those damned Reading lot:D

    OS wise its the usual round of washing,ironing,cleaning,BM needs to go on but YM doesnt.I bought two chickens in Asda yesterday and cooked them so the carcasses need stripping of remaining meat and freezing and the carcasses boiled for soup.Its Scotch Pancakes for the kids for brekkie,its a traditional Saturday morning treat here and its amazing how many pancakes my kids can put away:eek:I think I'll make a Chicken and mushroom pie for tea with mash and veg.I've got a scrummy chocolate cake for pud

    Diva-Hope Tristan got in touch.The volvo story had my chuckling as we had a similar thing with a Renault Clio and hubby still talks fondly about the car:D

    Pen-Pin-Love the Mentalist and Numb3rs.I'm just trying out the guardian at the moment but not sure if I like it or not hope you have a good weekend

    Sunnygirl-glad that your Dad is continuing to improve it must be such a relief

    Mioliere-I've always fancied trying out skyping but unfortunately anyone I want to speak to are too stuck in their ways to try it:mad:

    Lesleyxx
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 May 2009 at 9:22AM
    morning - I have no idea what skyping is :confused: is it painful :rotfl:
    looks beautiful outside, I havent ventured out yet though.

    I need to spend some time in the garden today check my veggies after the wind and rain of the past few days

    MSD what is it with men and cars?? lol posted some tokens the other day , hope you got them
    Mioliere hope you have settled in ,
    Sunnygirl/ Penpin ((hugs)) to both of you

    jobs for today:
    clean top to bottom
    strip the last bed ( got the others done yesterday)
    wash school uniforms
    make shepherds pie for tea
    must get the roast pork out of the freezer

    hope everyone has a great day
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Good Morning All

    The sun is shining, its dry but brrrhh its freezing at the moment.

    Many Thanks for the congrats for OH, he is very happy but mainly relieved, I am taking it as a sign for things to come - will be good:j (power of positive thinking:D)

    Have 1 load of washing on the line and another one in the machine, more to do over the weekend, DD creates a huge amount of washing. Am going to pop out in a min as DD needs a new swimming costume for school, they do swimming so few and far between that she has grown so much since last time. Dont want to go out but best to get it over and done with.

    Also have quite a long to do list as was so lazy yesterday, 1 will be to make lasagne - will get it over and done with this morning and can just pop it into the oven tonight. Also left it open on the menu plan for roast/barbeque tomorow but think the weather is dictating roast.

    Menu plan for next week to be done and make a start on the shopping list.
    If I do well today will have time to do some baking tomorrow - fudge brownies and carrot cake definately on the list, maybe some blue berrie muffins too.

    Anyway, will get off now, have a great day.
    x
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Good morning OS folks :D

    Thank you so much for all your continued support :A it means so much to us all. Dad is still doing well & when I spoke to him this morning he had had a good nights sleep. We can't wait to get him home he has dropped weight from 11 1/2 st to 10 1/2 st so is looking thin. He says he's not very hungry laying in bed all day - I wish I could be the same I seem to be hungry no matter what :o

    I'm not going to the hospital today as some of their friends are coming up to see Mum at home then onto the hospital. It'll give me a chance to spend some time with the children, especially DS3 who, not yet being a teenager still enjoys my company! I'm taking him to Manchester. We're going to have a go on The Big Wheel (a smaller London Eye affair), get some small pressies for his sister's birthday on Tuesday, have a look for some boxer shorts for him & have a general mooch in Piccadilly Gardens where he still loves to watch the fountains :T I'm looking forward to it.

    The WM is on its 2nd & last load & dinner tonight is sausage pasta which I'll prepare before I go. I cut the sausages up into slices, cook them, then put peppers, onions, courgettes & carrots in the food processor to chop finely then bung them all together with a jar of pasatta, herbs, seasoning & garlic. I cook pasta & mix it all together before serving. It's yummy :drool: and the kids have no idea how healthy ;) I use the Aldi bratwurst sausage which are 96% pork and just a bit spicy. At £2.99 a pack it makes a nice main meal for the 6 of us :money:

    I hope that everyone has a nice Saturday whatever you are doing. Take care of yourselves & ((((((((((((((big hugs))))))))))))))))) where needed.

    Louise xxx
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • Teresita_2
    Teresita_2 Posts: 222 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2009 at 8:39AM
    Hi there

    Well the weather here is awful. Was hoping to do some gardening but not with it like this. Plus with ds2 asthma playing up the last thing he needs is a chill on top from being outside! :rolleyes:

    Today I doubt will be very os my aunt and uncle are due today from Tuscany so hopefully spend some time with them as when they came at the end of last year my cousin died of a heart attack he was only 42.

    Was hoping to bake some goodies but am definately NOT taking my kids in to tesco they turn in to satans children. It's like they morph at the car park entrance :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

    Sistercas - My onions in a tub took a beeting with the rain think I have to replant them and hope for the best. The rain was that hard it made a hole in the soil:mad:
    Ravylesley - GO BURNLEY GO :T:T:T

    Mioliere - We too should really try Skype as our family are primarily in Spain and Italy but for some reason we never get round to it :o

    Diva - I love your hug icon x
    SunnyGirl - Glad to hear your dad is a bit better xx
    Essesx-Girl - Positive thinking is a powerful tool and well done to OH

    Well off to get some inspiration to menu plan this week for the first time as I am so fed up of wasting money and food!!

    Have a great weekend xx
    Although I get lonely :shocked: as a single mother there are always two smiling angels ready to give me the biggest hug in the world. Love you babies :grouphug:

    Fear is a disease....Hope is it's only cure!
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone! Gosh, some folk were up early for a Saturday :)

    Well, there were some heavy showers here before I got up, the rain drumming on the roof was an effective alarm clock. I'm hoping that it's going to stay dry as I've got a load of washing I'd like to get dry outside.

    DH is off to work til 1 pm, so I'm on dog walking duties and then I seriously need to do some studying and get on with things - got 4 reports due in for the end of May and I also need to design a questionnaire for my research project.....

    Mioliere - lovely to see you back! I hope that life in France is treating you well and that the weather is good?

    Sunnygirl - I'm so glad to hear that your dad is getting better.

    Sistercas - Skyping is great - phone calls over the internet at a fraction of the cost they would be when using a landline. Used to use it when my brother was teaching abroad :)

    Tea tonight is chicken curry - rogan josh to be exact. Picked up a pack of curry spices in Waitrose the last time we were in Edinburgh for 49p instead of £1.99, so hoping that it's tasty.

    Have a good day everyone and if you see me on here too much today, you have permission to kick my behind as I really do need to be doing other things!
  • nic1lou2
    nic1lou2 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Morning all

    Mixed bag weather-wise here today but I think I shall risk putting the washing on the line as it is just about finished in wm. Bm also just gone on and a gammon joint in sc for either later today or tomorrow. Not sure what the weather is going to end up doing but if it was nice might attempt first BBQ of year, if not the gammon with jersey royals!

    Hubbie has already gone up to flat clear, hopefully should get it finished today and then have a few runs to the tip with rubbish. Charity vans are due at about 9 this a.m. for big bits of furniture that we have been unable to take to their shop.

    I will follow him there later but am having trouble coming round this morning. Saw G.P. yest and he gave me more painkillers to take. So I take really strong ones already during day and he has give me these additional ones to take on top which I have to phase in gradually at night at first then 3 times a day. :eek: He warned me that I would feel sleepy and tired so started them last night. WOW!!! First time I have slept 9 hours in YEARS!!!!! (Still got pain mind you - ah well can't have everything!!)

    SunnyGirl so glad to hear your DD is improving - we were quite worried when you didn't post for a few days. Isn't this a wonderful community where people actually care, think and worry about others!!!!:T

    Diva glad to see your post also - hope you heard from Tristan

    Teresita - your comment re kids/Tesco had me in stitches - just reminds me of mine when they were younger - I used to dread having to take them with me shopping. Its not that they misbehaved really but they were so distracting and were always asking for the wierdest things!!!

    Need to get on now - will catch up with rest of news later.

    Hope you all have a lovely saturday.:D

    xxx


    P.S. Diva I am so glad you told me how to copy posts or I would have just lost this one and have to start again - wonder why that happens sometimes!?!?!?
    "Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you are up to........"
    :D Dieting ........... is no piece of cake!!!!:D
    Weight loss since January 2011 - 5st 5 lbs!!!!!
  • Teresita_2
    Teresita_2 Posts: 222 Forumite
    nic1lou2 wrote: »

    Teresita - your comment re kids/Tesco had me in stitches - just reminds me of mine when they were younger - I used to dread having to take them with me shopping. Its not that they misbehaved really but they were so distracting and were always asking for the wierdest things!!!

    I could cope when either both or at least one could go in the trolly. Now am like a mad woman as they always bolt in opposite directions leavingme like a madwoman abandoning the trolly in the middle to round them up :mad:. Am sure they have a discussion on the way there to decide what they can do to me!!! Then there is the whole "till time" I wish my supermarket wasnt two mins round the corner i'd get it delivered but am too embarassed to look lazy to do it :o
    Although I get lonely :shocked: as a single mother there are always two smiling angels ready to give me the biggest hug in the world. Love you babies :grouphug:

    Fear is a disease....Hope is it's only cure!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.