We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

voipcheap.co.uk gone?

Options

Comments

• andytea
    andytea Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Me too all credit, phone directory, settings all gone. However my telephone-in number is being re-directed as if I was not logged in. A glimmer of hope.......
  • Adhoc_2
    Adhoc_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I cannot directly get to voipcheap.co.uk, but I can via a proxy. It looks like the domain name servers are a bit slow to update.
  • mkirksmith
    mkirksmith Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    scope wrote: »
    Give Betamax some credit.. I have been using one of their VOIP companies for 4-5 years now and the amount of money I have saved is amazing. I suspect they might be having problems, which no doubt they will resolve.

I started this thread asking if anyone else's voipcheap's service had stopped, like mine.

Mine has now returned - so the problem is resolved - and my thanks for everyone's helpful comments - I know what happened now. I imagine that other peoples' voipcheap service will come online shortly too.
  • Ritchievalens_2
    Options
    Hi,
    I hope this is the correct section to post in?
    I have been using voipcheap.co.uk, for the last few years, and they seem to be reasonably good.
    Recently, they have been down, with respect to the service and the website.

The .co.uk site has been down, but the voipcheap.com site has been up, and as far as I can see its exactly the same service.

Emails seem to go unanswered, which is a shame, as they do seem to provice a good service.

1) My question is, has anybody had the same problem?
    2) Does anybody have any good suggestions, I really dont want to go on skype, except for local short calls, as they are horrible and expensive.

Any suggestions, as it need a RELIABLE service that you have tried, and tested for a while, and also very COMPETITIVE, with CLEAR LINE QUALITY, and NON DELAYED TEXTS.

Is that too much to ask for ? :beer:

Thanks
  • Ritchievalens_2
    Options
    Mrkirksmith,
    Voip seems to be up at the moment,
    They trade under Betamax, and they must be under, at least 30 names they trade under.
    To be fair to them, they seem ok, but once they have problems they don't care to respond.

They Knew that their would be an outage, and I guess the polite thing to do is to email all their customers, who have been loyal for years.

Thanks
    mkirksmith wrote: »
    I've used voipcheap.co.uk for some years. I paid my £10 for three months subscription as usual recently.

This morning I found that there was no tone on my telephone (it's attached to my modem).

Then I tried to use the voipcheap PC onscreen phone and it did not connect, nor did the "help" facility connect to the web.

Then I looked for the voipcheap co.uk website and it had gone.

Is this happening to other people? Does anyone know what might be happening?

Thanks,

Michael
  • Adhoc_2
    edited 9 May 2009 at 6:05PM
    Options
    Hi,
    I hope this is the correct section to post in?
    I have been using voipcheap.co.uk, for the last few years, and they seem to be reasonably good.
    Recently, they have been down, with respect to the service and the website.

The .co.uk site has been down, but the voipcheap.com site has been up, and as far as I can see its exactly the same service.

Emails seem to go unanswered, which is a shame, as they do seem to provice a good service.

1) My question is, has anybody had the same problem?
    2) Does anybody have any good suggestions, I really dont want to go on skype, except for local short calls, as they are horrible and expensive.

Any suggestions, as it need a RELIABLE service that you have tried, and tested for a while, and also very COMPETITIVE, with CLEAR LINE QUALITY, and NON DELAYED TEXTS.

Is that too much to ask for ? :beer:

Thanks

There's two things you can do if you still have the problem.

1. Access over the internet by a proxy (I used a webcache with my ISP, but the problem has caught up with this: webcache.blueyonder.co.uk at port 8080)
    2. Access via SIP by logging into another Betamax provider (your voipcheap.co.uk account is unique and seems to work in the same way when logged onto another provider - go to backsla.sh/betamax to see them together.)

I've found fishtext.com good for SMS
  • Ritchievalens_2
    Options
    Adhoc,
    Thanks for your response.
    Are you saying, try a proxy?
    I know that, that might open up security issues.

I will look at Fishtext, as I am looking for a good reliable SMS provider.

Thanks
  • Adhoc_2
    edited 9 May 2009 at 7:13PM
    Options
    Ritchievalens,

I agree there are security and trust issues with a proxy - the same issues can apply to your Internet Service Provider. An alternative to a proxy may be to use a different Domain Name Service. But again you may have similar security and trust issues. OpenDNS may be worth exploring, but I've no experience to recommend. However, I would've thought voipcheap.co.uk would be accessible soon...

Regarding Betamax - my experience is they've been the best VOIP provider I've used - (I've a number of accounts with them - and for cost I would not recommend voipcheap.co.uk). I also use Sipgate.co.uk; their sound quality is very good, but cost more (good on UK non-geo) - you do get a local incoming number. I've tried other VOIP providers and there's still sometimes an issue with sound quality, but this is normally dependent on where they're located (e.g., US; possibly due to if there's a good connection between you and them).
  • mkirksmith
    mkirksmith Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Adhoc wrote: »
    Ritchievalens,
    Regarding Betamax - my experience is they've been the best VOIP provider I've used - (I've a number of accounts with them - and for cost I would not recommend voipcheap.co.uk). .

Which Betamax account would you recommend?

I've noticed that the voipcheap.com's basic subscription is Eu10, i.e., cheaper than voipcheap.co.uk's £10.
  • Adhoc_2
    edited 10 May 2009 at 12:08PM
    Options
    I use Voipcheap.com and Intervoip.com, but have my eye on Smartvoip.com - as the rates look better. I'm not really interested in the freedays or the web based applications, as I'm a low user and use a SIP ATA. I use the Sipgate Caller ID for outgoing, as I mostly use Sipgate for incoming. Although I'm exploring Rebtel.com and Pfingo.com for overseas contacts - and I pay for the international side of the call.

Each Betamax provider has a slight different offering - some include lots of freedays, others (like intervoip) don't. Some of them charge more for a SIP call (I believe Dialnow.com is an example). If you haven't already looked, the website backsla.sh\betamax provides a useful cost comparison for the different countries they cover.

I've seen Voipzoom.com has a €2.50 per month subscription (which I believe works similar to the others, but instead of getting 90 or 120 days, you get 30 freedays). It suggests you don't have to pay monthly, but I have a feeling it may be a cost effective way of getting credit onto your account - the lump sum payments often include a handling charge. However, I've not really looked into this...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport