We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OS Daily Thread - Sunday 3rd May

Money_saving_Diva_2
Money_saving_Diva_2 Posts: 2,914 Forumite
edited 3 May 2009 at 4:04AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi there! This is the Daily Thread for Sunday 3rd May. This is an 'Over the garden fence' type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly, but if not, it's not a problem.

Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two Daily Threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new Daily Thread after they get up in the morning. Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start is just as good!

Morning OS chums!hi.gif
welcome2.gifpretz - you sound like you need some sleep honey!
sistercas - I think I have more plants than I will have room for once they all grow which is a tad worrying as I don't know anyone else around here who gardens, so unless I can persuade the OH to do a boot sale to sell all the spares I may have to sacrifice some..
Nic1 - lovely to hear you so much more positive on yesterdays thread. hugs.gif to you and yours
Redruby - always lovely to have a new baby in the family. Congrats to your SIL.
Beth - very envious of you being able to sit outside and type, my wireless connection only works in two rooms in the flat! And thank you for the kind comments, I do love gardening so much and I get frustrated when physically I can't lift and move things or help clear up but give me pots and tubs and a willing helper and I am there!
tiredmum - Tris didn't turn up in the end.. sad.gif I filled the time doing some reveiws online. I am guessing tht he isn't feeling too great. I am waiting again now (obviously!:rotfl:)
redruby - I am very envious of all the wildlife you saw. I was quite excited to see some butterflys and a bit fat bumble bee in the garden today as well as the tadpoles in the pond!
Tru and Halight - missing you both!

Had a lovely afternoon in the garden yesterday - Planted up some bedding plants and pricked out the lettuces - using our little metal framed plastic greenhouse for the first time. All my lilys are coming up and there are bluebells in all the pots (I underplanted the bulbs about three years ago and they just keep coming up. I put bedding plants on top for summer colour, and then the begonias that I planted on the top of the bluebells come in at the end of the summer). But I ended up wishing my mother could see it. She is an amazing gardener and I learnt so much from her but now she isn't speaking to me, it means she hasn't seen it in over 2 yrs and I feel really sad about that.

Managed to dry two loads of washing out in the sunshine yesterday so hoping today will be the same.

Wasn't Jamie Pugh great on Britains Got Talent? Great song from LesMis, (seems to the the musical of choice for undiscovered talents this year!). Have to admit I had tears in my eyes watching him.

Gammon steaks and roast potatoes for dinner today I think. My OH has an extra gig so is working this evening so our afternoon will be cut short. Am hoping to get back out in the garden again though.

So - Enjoy your Sundays, whatever you are doing.. Warm gentle grouphug.giffor anyone who wants or needs one.

Diva.x
To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
«1345

Comments

  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone - I woke up early this morning so I've had some uninterrupted time to myself! I still haven't caught up on all the news but hope you are all well and that the sun shines for you today! It looks like it will be a good day here. It can be quite cool early in the morning and late in the evening but, during the day, it gets hot enough to sit outside - the downside to that is that it's too easy to find an excuse to take a cuppa outside and it becomes time-wasting! My usual excuse is that I'm checking on the geraniums!

    Dinner today is going to be a traditional British roast - all the meat here is wonderful. We'll have chicken today, cooked in the Remoska, with roast potatoes, carrots and round courgettes, and good old British gravy - I bought over a hundred Oxo cubes with me! Most of the supermarkets here sell a limited range of British stuff but they are mega-expensive compared to their own products. We have eaten some interesting things here, though; it's all a bit of a challenge buying something local and finding out what it tastes like!

    It's been great Skyping the family since we were finally connected to the internet - it's made such a difference to life here!

    Anyway, now that I'm getting into some sort of routine, I hope to be calling in here more often!

    Have a great day, everyone.

    KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

    Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • GonzoAston
    GonzoAston Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    Morning, and Happy BH Sunday to everyone :D

    Well, today ill be sleeping as working nights all over BH weekend (no, no tears please ;) ) :D

    Asked OH to start the dinner today, having biiig roast yum yum :D No doubt he wont do it though. Ill have to get up and make it myself if I want one :mad: how hard is it even to peel the veg and leave it in a pan of water for me, to make it easier :rolleyes:

    So thats my day today, not very exciting is it eh, lol :) Still 4 more days of work then im off for 2 whole weeks :T:T not going anywhere exotic, just back home to see the family for a bit, which will be nice.

    I havent a clue how to use Skype, if all my family had one, id never get rid of them on it, lol ;) So maybe thats my excuse for not getting it :rotfl:

    Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

    TTFN
    :D
    I know my spelling is shocking :eek: It is alot better than it used to be though :rotfl:
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Good morning!

    Diva - Your garden sounds beautiful! I get stuck on what to put in pots after summer bedding or winter bedding :o

    I ended up in bed yesterday by 5pm with a killer migraine. Just my body's way of dealing with stress I suppose, but I get so annoyed when I have one :mad: which probably doesn't help the stress ;)

    My Dad was ok when we went to see him yesterday although he's tired and not up to much more than half an hour of visiting. We've taken him some books in to read and he gets a paper every day but the days & nights are long in hospital I think. The nurses were getting him written up for some mild sleeping tablets yesterday so hopefully he slept better last night.

    Sunday dinner at lunchtime again - Roast lemon & herb chicken, buttered new potatoes & salad :T My Mum is bringing the dessert so that's still a surprise at the moment. Tea will be left over chicken sandwiches, left over salad & leftover dessert and whatever anyone feels like getting themselves as I'll be at the hospital with Mum.

    A bit of ironing to catch up on and hoover round downstairs this morning but not much really. It's rained hard through the night but the sun is out now, I wonder how long it will stay out :rolleyes:

    I hope that everyone has an enjoyable Sunday whatever you're doing xxx
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Good Morning All

    Sorry to hear your Dad had a relapse Sunnygirl.

    Well its another beautiful day in Essex today. Was lovely walking around London in the warm last night with everyone sitting outside the bars. Had a lovely meal in Chinatown (v cheap too) and a nice wander around Covent Garden to watch the entertainers. Met a Jack Sparrow pirate lookalike who also sounded like him.

    Today will be a mixture of ironing, washing & chilling in the garden. Have cleaned the barbeque so will be having one tonight, the first of the year for us.

    Have a lovely Sunday.
    x
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    just lost a really long post :mad:
    Diva your garden sounds beautiful , I wish I had that 'understanding' about gardening to know what should go where and which things look good together
    I havent forgotten the tokens, we have just finished the last loaf so I will post them off on Tuesday

    Sunnygirl hope you are feeling better, I have never had a migraine *touches wood* but I know how debilitating they can be, ((hugs)) to you and DDad

    Mioliere bonjour glad you are back with us, we have missed you x

    Penpin hope you enjoyed your day out yesterday
    Penpen how are the legs after those 20 miles? ;)

    sunny at the moment but it has been raining and there are some very big clouds on the horizon.
    OH promised to cut the privet today ( i think he knew it would rain so he doesnt have to do it :rolleyes:)

    Tru do you think you could just post again so I can get the link to your blog please ?
    bargainbird where are you? how are the kids?

    got to take DD1 to her gymnastics club then I shall go to Mr T's
    MIL coming for lunch :eek: we are having roast chicken, mash, cauli chese yorkie puds peas, carrots and gravy

    I have cricked my neck and am sitting with a hot water bottle on it - its really sore - i'm feeling sorry for myself :p

    hope you all have a lovely day
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone.
    Been up since 5am with the kids so am feeling tired at the mo. Didn't finish my organising of my receipes/meal plans yesterday so will finish that off today :D
    Might wash the car as it's looking a bit grubby - why oh why did we have a white car :(
    Had a lovely dinner last night of fresh pasta (half price in Mr S), creme fraiche, chicken, lots of garlic and some ham that I froze after cooking in the SC. Was delish and I ate far too much. Am never going to lose baby weight at this rate :( I don't eat to live I live to eat........
    Weather seems bit hit and miss here. Lots of cloud around so not as sunny as when I first got up. Hope it warms up quickly as want to dry my washing!
    Have a lovely Sunday.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • nic1lou2
    nic1lou2 Posts: 686 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2009 at 8:18AM
    Morning all

    SunnyGirl Hope your DD continues OK - my thoughts are with you

    Lovely morning here at the moment but mixed forecast.

    We are going to a christening today (your side of Pennines SunnyGirl). So no flat clearing today and we will be really glad of the break away from it tbh.

    Also means no cooking today, but really enjoyed a proper meal yest - first time in 2 weeks, gammon was lovely done in sc. Wm has been on and is hung out and hopefully might get it dried before we set off. Lots of household jobs need to be caught up with now as we have done nothing in house for last 2 weeks but there is always tomorrow. Seedlings have managed to come through the neglect thank goodness.

    Diva I am envious of your green fingers too - we only ever get about a 50% sucess rate with the garden as we don't really know what we are doing and most of it is just trial and error! and I agree about Jamie Pugh - what a nice man too!!

    Gonzo skype is a foreign language to me too:rotfl:

    Mioliere you will have to let us know when you need more Oxos sending!!! Mind you you will probably have loads of volunteers to deliver them:rotfl:

    Sistercas take care of the neck

    Essex-girl sounds like a lovely evening

    Bitsy - yeah we had a white car - drove me mad(no pun intended:rotfl:)

    Hope everyone has a good day - make the most of the Bank Holiday.

    ((((((Hugs)))))) to all
    "Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you are up to........"
    :D Dieting ........... is no piece of cake!!!!:D
    Weight loss since January 2011 - 5st 5 lbs!!!!!
  • betheebee
    betheebee Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Morning all,
    Didn't get much done y/day as DD2 asked if I wanted to go shoping with her, jumped at the chance to push DGD2 in the buggy. Went to Clarks Village and picked up some good bargains. Popped into Mr T's and Sainsbugs to buy YS stuff so DD2's freezer is stocked up and DGD has new sleeping bags, booties, socks, cardigans and vests.

    I finally made DD1's b/day cake at 5pm. A chocolate one, layered with choc butter icing. I also put a layer of sliced mars bars in the middle, spread the sides and top with more icing and covered with Maltesers.
    DD1 is a chocoholic.
    Cheese onion and red pepper quiche in the oven and bm on.

    I wrapped the pressies this morning, it takes me ages. I buy ribbons, hologram cards, bows and allsorts from charity shops and use to decorate.
    We'll pick up DD2 & DGD2 to go to DD1 in Bath for the B/day bash.
    The weather here is hot & sunny so just hope the cake wont melt.

    Our DNiece had a baby girl y/day and as she lives in Bath we wil call in and see them. They have called her Beau.

    Right then,, shower and load the car.

    DIVA, I get DH to do all the humping and clearing up. I hope you hear from Tristan soon. It's so sad when families fall out, My DB2 and DNephew spoke to eachother last w/end for the first time in 20yrs. Still, better late than never.

    SUNNYGIRL, Hope your Migrane has gone and your DDad is soon on the mend.
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    morning!

    am off to carboot soon with DH. Later i'll be in the garden(with my book;):D) The men are having roast beef and I'll be haveing cheese and potato pie for dinner tonight - we dont have it at lunchtime as we prefer to be outside doing something.
    Tonight I'm looking forward to watching Martin Shaw on TV :iloveyou::D

    He is so sexy ;)

    Betheebee - that choccy cake sounds lush!

    SunnyGirl - hope your Dad managed to get a good nights sleep x

    (((hugs))) if you need one

    Have a great day all xxxxx
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • SALOPMAN
    SALOPMAN Posts: 524 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Goodmornin all
    Weather: Been raining,sunny-ish now Quite cool though
    No OS for me for a bit off to Cyprus today for hols
    So wish you all well and cyas in a few days, WS hope the little parcel arrives for LB sent it friday
    Cheers:beer:
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.