PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

All New Shabby Chic Thread!

Options

Comments

• xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    pennib wrote: »
    xxvickixx you sound like a real expert in re-furbishing a house! Come and live near me!!

Lol! The house we are in now and the last one were both artexed everywhere and to keep costs down we did any smallish bits ourselves and DH has built a few stud walls while changing the layout which we covered too.
  • xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    gingababe wrote: »
    Well I am still hunting for a table & chairs for my kitchen/dining room!

What are you looking for and what sort of area Gingababe? If I spot anything I'll shout!
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks xxvickixx sounds like you know your stuff!
    We were just looking at the alcove now, it's probably not very even so with plasterboard it would help but edges may need gentle wallpaper 'creativity' for some bits!
    Have bought perspex shevles cut to size from ebay - 3 for £6 inc postage so thanks guys for that idea. Means the cupboard cost us £6 but it's white and we can 'redecorate' the shelves anytime we want for a new look.
    Gave away some paint on Freecycle the other night then had a *doh* moment as realised I had given away my white bathroom paint, of which most walls but one have had 3 coats... so I need it back for the remaining unfinished wall! I was too eager he he...
    Next shabby chic project is the dresser and also a corner pine unit for side of kitchen units. I painted that with primer so I now know I will need to wire wool it down prior to painting... question is, do I paint it the cupboard paint colour (creamy) to go with kitchen units, or a white, to go with the wallpaper I plan to have behind the corner pine unit. What would you guys do?
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • PinkTiger
    PinkTiger Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PLEASE could someone advise me on how to clean an old lampshade, i have found the perfect one for my floor standing lamp but it is manky:eek:! it is made of fabric & has pleats & also has fringing. it isnt just dust, it looks like it could be niccotine but doesnt smell so maybe just years & years of dirt. it should be a creamy colour, well, i'm hoping it is! the guy in the charity shop even knocked a £ off it it's that bad:D! any advice appreciated, thanks xx i must work out how to put pics on here, i will have a go when i've got more time x
    'there goes an old transexual, last seen heading south,
    her friends call her Bernie but her real name is Ralph'
    Felicia, Priscilla Queen of the Desert
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    PinkTiger wrote: »
    PLEASE could someone advise me on how to clean an old lampshade, i have found the perfect one for my floor standing lamp but it is manky:eek:! it is made of fabric & has pleats & also has fringing. it isnt just dust, it looks like it could be niccotine but doesnt smell so maybe just years & years of dirt. it should be a creamy colour, well, i'm hoping it is! the guy in the charity shop even knocked a £ off it it's that bad:D! any advice appreciated, thanks xx i must work out how to put pics on here, i will have a go when i've got more time x

Try covering in talcum powder and leave for a while. Knock excess off, then vacuum the rest. Should clean and deodorise.
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Eagerlearner; that's not a bad price for perpex incl post. And it saves trudging around trying to find it. How annoying giving away paint that you still need. Any chance he will give it back if you beg and plead!!
    I think I would possibly go for the cream for the corner unit, but you could paint it white and then paint over if it doesn't suit. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your makeovers.

xxvickixx just seen your weight lose.....good going :0)

Pinktiger; Sorry I have no idea what to do with the lampshade. Not tried the talc idea, so give it a shot.
  • Emuchops
    Emuchops Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PinkTiger wrote: »
    It won't helpwith the smell but try rubbing it with shop bought sliced white bread. Leaveit outside to "air" as long as the weather allows.
  • hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Options
    Emuchops wrote: »
    It won't helpwith the smell but try rubbing it with shop bought sliced white bread. Leaveit outside to "air" as long as the weather allows.

I too would go for the bread (cheaper the better) I have used it on wallpaper in the past and it takes all the dust off a treat.

Im busy painting my kitchen cupboards at the mo, the horrible orange pine look is finally going but is a bigger job than I 1st thought :o
    Hope to get some pic's when its done (hope sometime next week all going well :rotfl:)
    Im also painting the little magazine table so busy,busy, busy :rotfl:
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow didnt think of bread, and yet it can be used as an effective rubber. Next time I
    chew my toast I hope I don't think of it as a duster!!!
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all - got the paint back last night which is great so will use for a few coats then give back to them as they really will put it to good use.
    Hart44 I can empathise - I naively started my kitchen makeover in January, thinking it would be quick, and then realising each side needed 3-4 coats... as I used no primer and trusted what the Crown 'cupboard paint' tin said. I did sand and clean but that's all.. So when you start make sure you have lots of space and do a production line of sorts, like 4 doors ready sanded and primed, laid out, which you then paint one coat all at once. Then overnight another 4 coats, then 8 hours later another coat.... Also I took all of them off and removed handles etc for a better finish, then bought new shiny ones on ebay which are cup nickel satin finish ones. What style will your kitchen be once finished?
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business