PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

All New Shabby Chic Thread!

Options

Comments

• EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know why this happened - I painted some base coat on my dresser - it is some unfinished (but old) pine, the base coat dried overnight but then when I painted it with Crown wood paint the new paint just 'sat' and wouldn't absorb - like it shrank a bit in strange patterns?
    In the end I wirebrushed the base coat all off and painted straight on with the Crown paint and it seems ok.

Just wondered why that had happened though?
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought I'd add the final shot of it finished...
    SDC13624.jpg?t=1280763997
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Vicki that's lovely - looks quite expensive now!
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Options
    xxvickixx wrote: »
    Just thought I'd add the final shot of it finished...
    SDC13624.jpg?t=1280763997
    I love it Vicki :T it is so good what you can do with a bit of wallpaper :D
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
  • hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know why this happened - I painted some base coat on my dresser - it is some unfinished (but old) pine, the base coat dried overnight but then when I painted it with Crown wood paint the new paint just 'sat' and wouldn't absorb - like it shrank a bit in strange patterns?
    In the end I wirebrushed the base coat all off and painted straight on with the Crown paint and it seems ok.

Just wondered why that had happened though?

Not sure what happened but the paint today is more water based (I think the Crown paint is water based as Im using it now on my stuff)and maybe one of your paints were oil based?
    It would be nice if someone does know so I can watch out for that happening to me
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
  • xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I'm pretty pleased at how well it goes with the new look room. Those frames have been the best buy ever, I have had them about 10 years now and have lost count of the times they have been painted!

All of the things used were bits that I had already so cost me nothing too so even better.
  • debbsi
    debbsi Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Eagerlearner - the exact same thing happened to me on my sideboard!! I think it was because I used oil based primer then water based eggshell.

It has taken up lots more of the eggshell than it should have done - but it does look good now, there are some tiny bits of white primer showing through - but only I know that!! Anyway it adds to the charm of it, but I will definately buy water based primer next time - its taken me ages to paint due to the amount of coats I had to use
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    Vicki the frame looks amazing, you have such a good eye!
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • newmee
    newmee Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 August 2010 at 6:41PM
    Options
    well done everyone and Hi to old and new alike :wave:

Have to say I love what you have done with the desk Bexbex will look forward to seeing what you do with the rest of the furniture.
    The greatest gift you'll ever learn,
    is just to love and be loved in return
    :love:
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    "My dad is still in Keiss, and my sis has been in Wick for about 9 years now - she and DH own Houstons chip shop/cafe/restaurant."

Ohh we go in there for a treat sometimes.....there bacon butties are lush!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport