PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

All New Shabby Chic Thread!

Options

Comments

• hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Options
    Love the make-over EagerLearner, the bathroom cupboard looks so much nicer now :D

Mary you are lucky and I have been keeping up with you makes, you are a busy bee :D

Bebex, the desk looks so much nicer when its painted up, you must be proud :T

I have at long last finished my blue and white patchwork quilt, I now have it on my bed.
    I have pics on my home page if you want to have a look :D

Today I have made a start on a little magazine table so hope to have it finished by next weekend (weather permtting).
    Keep the wonderful make-overs comming, I just love what you all do :T:j:A
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't believe the transformation of that desk...wow

Mary; Lucky you getting all those freebies....I need somewhere to keep my
    craft stash as well.
  • cmazza
    cmazza Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    BexBex that is a great job on the desk.
  • xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Hart, your blue and white quilt is beautiful, and well done for cutting all of the squares yourself this time! I still can't get over the amount of patience that you quilters must have.

DH is off work tommorrow so I really must finish getting the walls ready today for papering at some point.
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Options
    Kiess - Your Name sort of gives away where in caithness you lived :D, i lived near in wick for 9months ;) - Welcome x
    Thanks bargainbird,
    My dad is still in Keiss, and my sis has been in Wick for about 9 years now - she and DH own Houstons chip shop/cafe/restaurant.
    pennib wrote: »
    xxvickiexx; Yes I did the ones above the doorway.

Keiss21; Didnt pick up on your name! Yep live in Caithness, it is a treck going up and down the country, but we take it easy and stay overnight before carrying on.
    You are certainly busy with your makeovers......horrible being ill and not able to
    do much:( but now your better I bet there will be a whirlwind of activity :T
    Wish there was a Dunhelm up here, our nearest is 400 miles away :( but it's one of the first shops I go to on my excursions :D Beautiful fabrics in there.....second thoughts good job there isn't one else our house would be choka-block with material :rotfl:
    We are lucky with my MIL living in Kirkcaldy, great for a stop-over on the trek north. We have done a couple of straight up trips...far too kn*****ing!!!

Not done anything decorating-wise this past week..been very hectic @ work...end of academic year. Did sort out LOADS of paper-work in the conservatory yesterday, the recycliung bin is filling nicely :D! This is in preparation for decorating this room once I have finished with the kitchen.

Now must stop here and get my CPD completed and submitted...two days late...ooops!! :o.

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • xxvickixx
    Options
    I got this idea to make ornate frames using textured wallpaper from a book I picked up at the boot sale, I've takens some photos along the way.

Old plain frame - cheapy from IKEA with the old wallpaper in.
    SDC13611.jpg?t=1280749943

Using a sample of wallpaper which had a sort of column design I cut and glued stips to the frame and then glued a bit of cord to the edges

SDC13612.jpg?t=1280750002

Add a little detail in the corner.
    SDC13613.jpg?t=1280750102

And paint

SDC13615.jpg?t=1280750192

It needs another coat of paint and then I plan to pick out some of the raised bits in gold paint to give a gilt effect. I'm then going to put some of the new wallpaper in the fram and hang it back where it used to be. I have two of these on the unpapered wall.
  • Georgiabay
    Georgiabay Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    That's clever, Vicki. What paint did you use?
  • xxvickixx
    Options
    Just matt emulsion, it's the CK linen paint that was £1 a few weeks ago.
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    BexBex that desk looks really good now, so much more defined - and refined! Your dog seems to love it too...

Hart44 the quilt is awesome, have always admired anyone that can be that patient as such detailed work!

xxvickixx that frame looks great and I would definately say much better for the work you have done - a few details go a long way for sure plus elbow grease...

I am now working on my pine dresser, pics to come by next weekend hopefully.

MrEL has been finding wood on the seafront and sanding it, it's already quite work so looks lovely when sanded. Then we varnished one piece and... have learned that varnish is often much darker than you thought it would be! Looks lovely though so well worth it for free and a few licks of varnish. It will be a shelf in an alcove.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Options
    What a great idea vicki :T the frame looks better than a shop
    brought one.
    Im a bit fed up at the mo, I want to finish the little mag/table and it keeps spotting with rain :( I have managed to sand all the parts and have given it a coat of undercoat but I can only do it outside so the top coat will have to wait :( I also want to get on with my pine corner unit I brought a couple of weeks ago (typical school hol's weather :()

Oh well Im loving the pic's on here :)
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business