PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

All New Shabby Chic Thread!

Options

Comments

• xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2010 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Eager Learner - You can get a tool that scrapes artex off, it's like a razor, it just takes the bits that stick out off. Some plasterers use it before going over artex as it means they only need to skim. They only cost a few £ from B&Q. If you do that first then the paper would go on better. Probably not a good idea to do this if you have a pre 80's house as it might contain nasty things that you don't want to go disturbing.

Personally I would either plaster myself and sand it down or if you really don't fancy giving that a go get some plasterboard/hardboard etc. and put that over the artex before papering.

I doubt that you would get a good finish if you just paper over artex, and would be a shame to waste lovely paper.

I also wouldn't recommend using more wallpaper paste than you need to as it will dry out and leave loads of air bubbles.

Our wallpaper is now all up, a few cross words (from me) but we made it!
  • debbsi
    debbsi Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    you lucky things - wish I had a pantry :(
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I concur with what xxvivkixx said about the artex wallpaper!
  • Georgiabay
    Georgiabay Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all - I guess I am confused, as the base paint said it was base for wood, and then the Crown paint said it was for wood... so how could they be incompatible :o then again - it came out ok and I have alot to learn still!

I think if one's oil based and one's water based they are both compatible with wood but not with each other. You have to have them with the same base. It should say on the tin but if not you can tell by how the brushes are cleaned. Water based ones can be cleaned in water but oil based need white spirit.
  • xxvickixx
    Options
    Well I think I've phoned every fabric shop within about 20 miles and nobody has blue or navy and white ticking, so I ordered 3m from ebay in the end which works out at just under £14 delivered so not bad as long as it is as nice as it looks in the photo. Can't wait for it to turn up now.
  • gingababe
    gingababe Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I am still hunting for a table & chairs for my kitchen/dining room!
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    gingababe wrote: »
    Well I am still hunting for a table & chairs for my kitchen/dining room!

ginga have you tried using the 'local ebay bargain finder' ? You type in your postcode and it gives you the option to refine your search to within 10, 25 or 50 miles from your home.
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    Mely sadly watered down glue would go on once and then I would have do do it again whereas the perspex I could re-use...

Georgiabay - aha that makes more sense now, I did indeed have to wash the base paint off with spirit and the top paint off with water, all clear now and a lesson definately learnt!

xxvickixx def might not want to fiddle with the artex then as our place seems to have been built around 1950's... seems we might have to try and replaster ourselves at least that alcove bit. Might be worth it, might not, depending on cost of tools etc. It's around 1.5m long, 1m high and around 15cm deep so have to think about that one...
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • xxvickixx
    Options
    If it's just a small bit then a bit of plasterboard would be so quick cheap and easy to do. Just score it and fold and there it is a straight cut. If you are worried about getting a sheet in the car, just take a stanley knife to B&Q and make the cut in the car park. It's really easy to fill any joins if you need to break it into smaller sections, then a few blobs of no nails on the back and pop it in the wall with a few screws in for good measure. If you don't want to invest in plastering tools and big bag of plaster it may work out more cost effective. It would make a lovely smooth base for your wallpaper but you should prime it first with watered down emulsion so that the glue can adhere to it.
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    xxvickixx you sound like a real expert in re-furbishing a house! Come and live near me!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure