Freecycle (Merged Thread)

Options

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm a member of the Guldford & Kingston groups & love them, only problem is that I hardly ever get anything 'cos it goes the second it's posted!! Guess it's a sign of success!!
    I have given away my sons outgrown clothes & baby equipment, things which are already 2nd hand & not good enough to re-sell but still have pleanty of life in them for playing, feeding time etc. Last week I asked if there were any daily telegraph readers who wouldn't be wanting the free CD's with that weekends papers. Yes, I could have bought the papers, it would only have cost me £1.65 for both, but it kept 2 cd's out of the landfill. And they cme from a lovely lady who it turns out used to kow my husband & she sent me the link to her website to view her live wildlife cams in nesting boxes & burrows:D

Long live freecycle, most people who participate are like minded & pleasent, just trying to be good samaritans.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • PaleScene
    PaleScene Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Options
    Lillibet wrote:
    I'm a member of the Guldford & Kingston groups & love them, only problem is that I hardly ever get anything 'cos it goes the second it's posted!! Guess it's a sign of success!!

I've noticed some posters on our group specify that they have a 24hr reply period before they choose between the respondents, in order to give a fairer chance to those who can't reply immediately. I like this idea as it's also an opportunity to cut down on collection miles by picking someone very local to yourself.
    Do I Need One Stops All Unnecessary Reckless Spending
    £2 CSC - £30 :kisses3:
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    My first post was a 'Wanted' - I'd just had my electricity bill and decided that I desperately needed an old fashioned clothes airer as the tumble dryer was costing me a fortune. Someone contacted me within 24 hours to offer me one that was sitting unused in their cupboard. Everything worked out brilliantly, I couldn't be happier!
  • heroicnich
    heroicnich Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a definite convert to Freecycle, although so far I have been doing the giving, rather than managing to get anything (it'll happen eventually!) but I've been perturbed recently, seeing adverts on Ebay - people saying "Pay £x and you'll have access to televisions, furniture, computer equipment etc to sell on" - basically selling KNOWLEDGE of freecycle (not even freecycled items)! I try and report them to Ebay/freecycle when I spot them - but it really cheeses me off that someone is trying to profit from the generosity of others. Pah!
  • bargainqueen_2
    Options
    Gee heroicnich are you serious? That is disgusting, what a rip-off!I got rid of 2 bowls yesterday which were for my food processor that broke - by chance the person who got them had the same machine. Beautiful!
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • heroicnich
    heroicnich Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I know, it's almost unbelievable, isn't it?! But there have been Ebay adverts with long, long lists of things you might have 'access' to - and clueless buyers saying "will I definitely get a telly?", "does it matter where I live?"... makes me so cross. Although if the person who got my old ironing board on freecycle wants to try and sell it on Ebay... they are welcome to try!
  • FunkyFairy
    FunkyFairy Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    heroicnich wrote:
    I'm a definite convert to Freecycle, although so far I have been doing the giving, rather than managing to get anything (it'll happen eventually!) but I've been perturbed recently, seeing adverts on Ebay - people saying "Pay £x and you'll have access to televisions, furniture, computer equipment etc to sell on" - basically selling KNOWLEDGE of freecycle (not even freecycled items)! I try and report them to Ebay/freecycle when I spot them - but it really cheeses me off that someone is trying to profit from the generosity of others. Pah!

That is so wrong
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello, I'm a bit ticked off with Freecycle at the moment. I offered a high chair that was snapped up within minutes, then they didn't bother to turn up to collect, and this week I've offered a kid's bike, which was on for about five seconds before I got a reply, and again it's not been collected so feeling a bit disgruntled at the mo. It seems like you can't even give stuff away!

I think what may be happening is that people are quick off the mark to try and secure an item, then after having time to think about it, they realise it's not what they want or need. I usually decide after a day or so who the item will go to but in the above cases there was only one reply.

The above was first posted on the moneysaving old style board.
  • KathrynPenguin
    Options
    I'm just getting sick of seeing the wanted ads, PC's, laptops, monitors seem to be the most requested items. It makes me feel bad about posting a wanted myelf as I've not posted many offers because being a big boot saler myself I don't have much that I can't sell. I have picked up a couple of useful items though and I've said to hubby that when I've done with them I will put them back on freecycle rather than on the boot sale table.
    The best things in life are NOT free - but they sure are cheaper with MSE!:j
  • Mirtos
    Mirtos Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    Rachie_B wrote:
    a car was offered on my local site the other day !!! lol

some of the wanted ads are just stupid

6 berth tents & all the camping equip
    laptops
    cars etc
    I've just put in an offer for a laptop on my local group - three have already been offered this month!I love freecycling!
    Official Debt Free Wannabe Nerd Club member 095! Debt Now:
    M&S £5000 £2071.49 - 3.9% |Cahoot Loan £8646.96 £7453.24 - 5.8%| Barclays OD £2250.00 £991.99 - 0% Halifax Card £1620.60 - 0% Savings: £927.59
    Grand Total = £22,540 £11,209.73 :eek:Total paid off since 31st May '06 = £11,330.27 :T Semi-DFD Dec'07?
    Savings for temporary unemployment fund: £763.05 @ 8%, £164.54@ 4% Total savings: £927.59

£18k Challenge £18,934.21 £11,209.73 to go!
    Proud to be dealing with my debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport