Freecycle (Merged Thread)

Options

Comments

• katiev007_2
    katiev007_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose the wanted ads just have to coincide with someone elses clearout to get any attention. And I'm sure it could be open to abuse with people selling on the good stuff once they get it for free but so far the oxford community has been extremely helpful and friendly and it's great for my karma! Think riches-not cash!
  • bargainqueen_2
    Options
    I love my group, too, and have both given away and received quite a number of things. Our moderator won't allow wanted ads to be mailed out to groupmembers, but they do get put up on the database so if you are browsing on the site you can see them. I think it's a good solution as too many people were taking the mick here with wanted things.
    The only real bad thing is the people who reply and then don't turn up. Do you have that problem too? I mean, I already don't turn anyone down until the thing is actually gone because usually the first 3 people who say they will come and collect don't turn up. It's really becoming a problem (other people have reported the same issue) and it makes me so mad that someone else may be missing out!
    Is it just our group that is like that?
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • Dave_T_UK
    Dave_T_UK Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Found this site for Non Profit recycling, you can list any unwanted goods you are willing to give away instead of sending them to land fill, NO Cash To Change Hands.
    http://freecycle.org/

Have a look there just might be something there that you can make use of.

Dave T
  • Anastacia
    Anastacia Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    I have had that already. Someone advertised wanting a hamster cage, so i dug it out & cleaned it & she didnt turn up. She didnt reply to chasing email. So i advetised it & it was gone within hours. So anyway it went to a better person !

Anastacia
    ....another happy bug.........sorry,blogger embracing the simple life
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    im moving house in the summer and ive got a 11 yr old so you can imagine the stuff i need to get rid off but its just to good to throw away.. even her garden toys she has outgrown that are a wee bit rusty have gone to new homes.. we have a lot of wanted adds on ours but its one way of knowing what people want and if ive got it i offer it. mind you some of the things people asking for i think right you got no chance lol..

nice to someone else a good turn.
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • maizie_moo
    maizie_moo Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    I have been a member of the Manchester FreeCycle group for quite some time now and it's brilliant. There are some unbelievable items offered. You also get wanted requests, so if you have something you'd forotten about and no longer use, then this is a good way of someone else making good use of it.

If there is something you specifically want, this can be requested (but there are restrictions, of course). As the site points out, it is not a wish list, but a way of recycling.

I definitely recommend it.

Maizie Moo :j
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    im a member of a few local ones and yes some of the stuff offered is quite surprising
    i feel wanted adds are sometimes abused one of the ones i am on a wanted comes up from the same person each day dont get me wrong im all for people having wants but is a laptop really the right thing to ask for
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Options
    I am a member of the Plymouth group among others in my area.

It is sometimes worth signing up to more than one group in your area, especially if you commute to work.

I have given away a load of stuff. A young lady in Plymouth even made use of some split scaffolding planks I was about to chop up for firewood. I gained a bag of sand that she had inherited in her garden for no apparent reason.

I managed to get a stairgate to keep our puppy out of one reception room, I also found that there are people who want (very) old car stereos as well.

We don't have chancers around at the moment. however we have been spammed, but good moderation usually keeps that at bay.

H
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep been a member of Edinburgh freecycle, for a few weeks now it's great.

I like the idea that you can get rid of a 3 piece suite in 48 hours, rather than having to phone the council to collect 6 weeks later (as is the case up here!)

Got rid of a lot of baby items and clothing and obtained couple of toys for ds' playgroup.

fluffynit
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just joined our local group, thanks for the link Katiev007
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure