Freecycle (Merged Thread)

Options

Comments

• dippy-dora_2
    dippy-dora_2 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    Check if there's a freecycle in your area, if not start one!

https://www.freecycle.org/
    Official DFW Nerd 071/£2 saver=£10
    Argos Bill £100+
    Debt Free/Fat Free 4st 4lb gone
  • jinkyferret
    Options
    this is great! I've just joined, there are local groups everywhere, or you can set one up ! all for free .:j freecycle.org
  • d.o.o.g
    d.o.o.g Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    I can heartily recommend this group.

I belong to a number of them in my area and it is a really great way to slow the increase of landfills. For example I recently decided I no longer needed my shed and advertised it on Freecycle, it was duly dismantled and relocated to an allotment in St Albans instead of ending up on a landfill or bonfire. I've also relocated two monitors and a whole bunch of other stuff that would have gone to the tip.

You can *get* great stuff too, but please if you do decide to join your local group, go into it with a giving rather than taking attitude.
  • mentat_2
    mentat_2 Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of Freecycle use http://www.ForFreeForum.net instead - it was set up someone who uses the MSE board and has recently been launched.
  • DO_YOU_KNOW_DAVE
    Options
    I second that by menmat only because it is more user friendly than Freecycle.
    The format is similar to MSE.
    https://www.ForFreeForum.net
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    I hadn't heard of ForFreeForum - thanks. At least it's a British thing rather than a basically American one!

As for Freecycle, well I've given away a lot on there and acquired a few things. The problems I've encountered are people saying they want something and not collecting, "professional Freecyclers" who sit glued to their computers all day taking everything and then presumably selling it on, and deciding who to give the stuff to when you have a long list of recipients.

Don't just give your stuff to the first person who responds - they are more than likely someone who hasn't thought things through and won't turn up, and it's unfair on the people who aren't glued to their computers all day.

There is a debate about "professional" Freecyclers - after all, if someone gets your giveaways rather than them going to landfill, then what's the problem? I find the idea a bit distasteful though as it somehow flies in the face of the spirit of the thing. And I bet these people would be less consciencious about dumping stuff they can't get rid of than a "true" Freecycler.
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • Mellers
    Mellers Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I can also recommend Freecycle - I advertised for an upright piano, never really holding out much hope for such a big item being given away, but I go to collect it tomorrow night!

I tried ForFreeForum, but after I registered I found out there's no forum for me here in Northern Ireland :(
  • dippy-dora_2
    dippy-dora_2 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the other site, I hadn't heard of it either.
    Mix and match them if you can :)
    Official DFW Nerd 071/£2 saver=£10
    Argos Bill £100+
    Debt Free/Fat Free 4st 4lb gone
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    Based upon this thread I joined local group and got bombarded with irrelevant emails. Quickly unsubscribed.
    I want to persevere with this though maybe with a different email address. Can someone explain how it works? The page I got to didn't have much to say. Do you have to join a yahoo group as well as subscribing?
    Sorry. I should probably spend a little more time searching the freecycle website rather than asking you lot.
  • grace
    grace Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a slight issue with Freecycle ...and it is their policy on allowing people to Freecyle pets.....Im not happy about this ....but I beleive it is down to the individual group administrator.....I would always check this policy before joining any group.
    BOI Credit Card = Was £3500.00 Now £0.00
    GE Capital Store Card= Was £1800.00 Now £0.00
    GE Capital Store Card = Was 1300.00 Now £0.00
    Credit Union Savings Now £200.00 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business