Freecycle (Merged Thread)

Options

Comments

• josieandmatilda
    Options
    Hi
    Not sure whether this is the right thread, - but I wanted to tell other MoneySavers about a fantastic service called freecycle.org .You can use this to recycle unwanted bits and pieces and find a good home for your now unwanted treasures.

I usually offload things to a charity shop, but this is an alternative.
    There are several local lists to put you in touch with others in your area - I have found new homes for an old TV ( which a charity shop could not accept as it was electrical) and a printer. I have also gained some tapes on meditation and lots of plant pots.

Hope it might be of use.
    Josie and Matilda
  • headcovers
    headcovers Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    The details of this site have already been listed - thank you.

However, it is not a good idea to spam the site with multiple postings. I think the moderators would be grateful if you just posted the once.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=199288&highlight=freecycle

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=199285&highlight=freecycle
  • SaverSarah_2
    SaverSarah_2 Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I've been a member of the Gloucestershire group for about a year and it's fab. Gotta admit, I haven't taken anything that's been offered (not for want of trying, I never seem to be quick enough!) but I've got rid of the weirdest things you'd think no one would ever want, like a broken video recorder, old tyres, hundreds of plastic plant pots, even – get this – I save my mushroom punnets and give them to people that want them for seed trays.

I tend to give smaller items away to charity shops and use Freecycle for the more unusual and bulky items.

Give it a go!
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think this is a great idea but what i was wondering is what information do you put into the email to join your local group?
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • josieandmatilda
    Options
    Its the first time I've used the site and thought it might be applicable to various different threads. Didn't realise it would cause offence...I really just thought I was being helpful.
    Will keep quiet now.
  • katiev007_2
    katiev007_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Hi QueenB-you just give your email address
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that i didn't know if you had to give a name and address or some other type of info.

So now of i go to join my local freecycle group.
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    Its the first time I've used the site and thought it might be applicable to various different threads. Didn't realise it would cause offence...I really just thought I was being helpful.
    Will keep quiet now.
    Don't do that. It's not a problem. People don't look at all the sections. There are plenty I still haven't been to. This is a fantastic forum and all contributions are valid ( apart from the real spam which you can tell a mile off....usually half a page long.
    Look forwards to seeing some more posts from you.
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    as a user of our local freecycle, I was pleased to hear this mentioned on radio 2 just now on the jeremy vine show, very positive recommendations by mostly all concerned, only one that I heard saying 'why don't they sell it on e-bay'.

didnt hear all the show, just going to 'listen again'.

isn't it good to hear a service like this being given such a prime time slot?
    Carolbee
  • JamesM_2
    JamesM_2 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's so much going on in my local one, I get so many emails that I think I'm going to stop receiving them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure