We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Prescription charges

Options

Comments

• 110frankie
    110frankie Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    The lady in my local pharmacy gets free prescriptions for diabetes, while I have to pay for my heart medication.
    She says that free are for people with a life-threatening condition - such as she has.
    But, as far as I can tell that's why I need mine...
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am interested in why they pay less for prescriptions in Wales than the rest of the UK,is it it so that they can build huge government buildings,in a democracy you cannot have some sectors paying more than others,perhaps if they paid the full amount, we might get a reduction and that would allow more people in need to have them free
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • sammysmum
    sammysmum Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I get my prescriptions free because I am diabetic as well and on insulin. It is not true that all diabetics get free prescriptions, only those on medication. That is because, without the insulin, I would die. It comes down to what type of condition you have and whether it is deemed chronic or not. If I were to pay for my prescriptions I would need, needles, test strips, 2 types of insulin, blood test needles, glycogel and pens to inject on a monthly basis and each of these are a seperate prescription. It is not like I just have to get one or two tablets. This is why mine is free according to my pharamcist. My diabetes is an inherited condition as I have a family history of it, so there has been nothing I could have done to prevent it either.

On the flip side my FIL has to take 13 differant medicines to stay alive as he had a stroke in 2002 and many of thos medicines are taken to prevent side effects of other pills he is on. Similarly my MIL is on long term anti depressants. Both have to pay for their prescriptions so have an annual pass so they can get them all at a one off price.

Same reason I get free eye tests, as diabetes affects eyesight.
  • kenshaz
    Options
    tee_pee wrote:
    this is my pet hate, maybe if people on free prescriptions could mange a token payment of 20p per item then prescriptions prices for the rest of us wouldn't go up and up, and we wouldn't get things we didn't really need if there was a fee.

Sat waiting to be blasted by someone now for my statement.
    Charge £6 .50 in Wales,and then prices for the rest of us would not go up and up
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • sammysmum
    sammysmum Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    A list, from the NHS as to which conditions are eligible for free prescriptions.
    a permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance
    forms of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
    diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
    diabetes mellitus except where treatment is by diet alone
    hypoparathyroidism
    myasthenia gravis
    myxoedema
    epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
    a continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months.
    Which will explain why my FIL has to pay, as strokes are counted as temporary disabilities as one can regain full use of their bodies.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,870 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kenshaz - wouldn't we be paying more if the assembly wanted our money for a huge building :confused:
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,870 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    prescriptions are already free for under 25's and from next year they will be free for everyone living in Wales, that's because the Welsh assembly have decided to use money to fund this, the Welsh Assembly has it's own funds and uses them as it sees best for Wales, you should be questioning the Government to find out how your money is being spent,

as to stopping non welsh residents benefiting from this, I beleive the plan is to have bilingual prescriptions in Welsh Surgeries so that pharmacies can see at a glance that the prescription is from a Wales based Surgery
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kenshaz
    Options
    Glad wrote:
    kenshaz - wouldn't we be paying more if the assembly wanted our money for a huge building :confused:
    No because , you are useing the extra £2.50 that the UK prescription payer contributes , for the mortgage on the Assembly building
  • kenshaz
    Options
    Glad wrote:
    prescriptions are already free for under 25's and from next year they will be free for everyone living in Wales, that's because the Welsh assembly have decided to use money to fund this, the Welsh Assembly has it's own funds and uses them as it sees best for Wales, you should be questioning the Government to find out how your money is being spent,

as to stopping non welsh residents benefiting from this, I beleive the plan is to have bilingual prescriptions in Welsh Surgeries so that pharmacies can see at a glance that the prescription is from a Wales based Surgery
    Do you stand alone or are you part of the national health service,do you receive any money from central government to fund any part of the welsh economy.
  • cheepskate_2
    cheepskate_2 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sammysmum wrote:
    I get my prescriptions free because I am diabetic as well and on insulin. It is not true that all diabetics get free prescriptions, only those on medication. That is because, without the insulin, I would die. It comes down to what type of condition you have and whether it is deemed chronic or not. If I were to pay for my prescriptions I would need, needles, test strips, 2 types of insulin, blood test needles, glycogel and pens to inject on a monthly basis and each of these are a seperate prescription. It is not like I just have to get one or two tablets. This is why mine is free according to my pharamcist. My diabetes is an inherited condition as I have a family history of it, so there has been nothing I could have done to prevent it either.

Same reason I get free eye tests, as diabetes affects eyesight.

sammysmun, i totally agree that some conditions get free perscriptions, I have hypothyroid and had the initiall stages of moximea? coma, when diagnosed.

BUT not only do we get free perscripts for our meds but for anything else we need on perscriptions . If this was only done for our meds then im sure it would save huge amounts of revenue, although saying that there is things that go in tandem with illnessess , at the moment i take 2 diff pain killers x3 so at the moment getting these would be a bit of a pain if having to pay ofr them constant,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport