We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Prescription charges

Options
13»

Comments

• tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    kenshaz wrote:
    Charge £6 .50 in Wales,and then prices for the rest of us would not go up and up
    I bet lots of people in wales are thinking sod off. !! It's OK people in UK were prob saying the same to me last night.

But it does not disgusie the fact the NHS is struggling and I have always belived the little things add up and making a token charge for prescriptions ( even if it was reduced to 10p) must make some impact.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Panduroo, if you have a low income and no savings have you filled in a form, I think it's HC 1, it's for people who are on low incomes to get help with the cost of prescriptions? Ask for one at your surgery. It does ask a lot of questions but would be worth it if you could then get free prescriptions. Just had a look on the NHS prescription web site, it tells you all you need to know, where to get the form etc. Good luck.
  • Panduroo_2
    Panduroo_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that hardpressed!
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Panduroo, you're welcome.
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tee_pee wrote:
    I bet lots of people in wales are thinking sod off. !! It's OK people in UK were prob saying the same to me last night.

But it does not disgusie the fact the NHS is struggling and I have always belived the little things add up and making a token charge for prescriptions ( even if it was reduced to 10p) must make some impact.
    Perhaps the NHS would not be struggling quite as much ,IF everyone including the people in Wales paid a fair share,yes little things do add up ,and a lot of £2 -50 s would add up.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • Panduroo_2
    Options
    Becles wrote:
    Travel vaccines are preventative medicine. There is logic in that by giving the injection free, it saves money on treating people who return from abroad with diseases that need long term care.

I do understand that vaccinations are preventative, but I still think that if people can afford a holiday, they can afford a few extra pounds for the vaccinations, and companies can certainly afford it for their employees who are travelling for work...it seems ridiculous to use NHS funds on that, and leave, for example, women with breast cancer without the funds needed for their treatment! I do agree that vaccinations are crucial for travel, I just think there should be a contribution for all of them, and not just for yellow fever as at present......
    It's just the way I feel..... :o
  • xycom1
    xycom1 Posts: 784 Forumite
    Options
    Of course they can afford to have the travel vaccinations, but some stupid people will not have them because they can make a saving but not doing so (if the NHS didn't fund them).

IMHO, having a publically funded NHS is ridiculous anyway, it's about time it was scrapped and taxes reduced so people could take responsibility for themselves and their familys' health.
  • Panduroo_2
    Options
    I think many countries insist on certain vaccinations anyway - so it's not always simply a matter of choice, and if they were made compulsory from 'this end', and people were asked to pay a small amount at least, there would be some revenue, without the risk of people opting out...

Personally I think if they can get the NHS back to what it once was, it's a great thing. I hate the thought of the rich being able to afford healthcare and the poor being left to cope ....I could never be in favour of that! No reduction in taxes could pay for any eventuality........you never know what's around the corner!
  • redmandarin
    redmandarin Posts: 832 Forumite
    Options
    This site: http://www.entitledto.co.uk/ helps check any benefits people may be entitled to - dunno if it includes prescription charges though, but it's worth a look. Hope it'll come in handy for anyone who might need this kind of help. As we all know, moneysaving's about maximising your income as well as minimising your expenditure - every little helps! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport