Prescription charges

Options
Hi (dontknow if this is in right section but here goes)

i have read in the main website that perscriptions charges in wales are only £4 and in england they are £6.50. i live in manchester area but work in wales can i just take my perscriptions to wales and get them for £4

Thanks in advance :confused:

Comments

• micheleen
    micheleen Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think your prescription may need to be from a wales based doctor, otherwise everyone would do it.
    :j The £2 CSC = £48 in carton
    £100 banked Mar 06
    V-Free : 4 weeks :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Micheleen is right, I recently went to Wales and had a prescription to get made up, there was a sign in Boots saying that the charges were cheaper for scripts written in Wales, but full price for us tourists ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    UK prescriptions are about to go up to £6.65 each; you might want to consider a prepayment card if you get frequent prescriptions.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    this is my pet hate, maybe if people on free prescriptions could mange a token payment of 20p per item then prescriptions prices for the rest of us wouldn't go up and up, and we wouldn't get things we didn't really need if there was a fee.

Sat waiting to be blasted by someone now for my statement.
  • Panduroo_2
    Options
    Don't panic - I'm not about to bite! :wink:
    :T I'm with you on this one - especially given that many of those entitled to free prescriptions could easily afford to pay at least something!
    I am speaking as someone with a long-term chronic illness who is not elligible for free prescriptions...I also have coeliac disease, which means that I have to add food to my presciptions these days.... :rolleyes:
    I can't really figure out how they work out who gets them free as I have no income because of my illness and no savings...so it makes no sense. I am lucky to have a friend who buys me a pre-payment certificate each year, otherwise I don't know where I'd be! :o
    What really cheeses me off too though is that people travelling - either on holiday out of choice (and presumabley with the money to afford it), or maybe through work and therefore covered by their company, get their vaccinations free, and yet if you are in the wrong postal code area, you cannot get treated for breast cancer on the NHS!!!! Work that one out!!!! :confused:
    The system is upside down - as the old song goes....'the rich get richer, the poor get poorer'
    Thank you for giving me the chance to vent!!! :mad:
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I get free prescriptions of the pill - then forgot it when i went away and had to get an emergency private prescription from a pharmacy - one month's supply cost over £8!! I was so shocked - I would be happy to pay a token charge for it, I just never realised quite how much I was getting free on the NHS!
    :happyhear
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just want to say that people are on a free prescription for a reason ...
  • Panduroo_2
    Panduroo_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I do realise that highguy and mean no offence - but I do know many people who don't need them free and are still entitled, so it isn't always the case, and my main point was about the vaccinations - all but one of which (as far as I'm aware) are free...which makes no sense when there are people with terrible illnesses who cannot get treatment on the NHS
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I personally pay for mine. Well, would have to. I have not had a prescription for many many years. Actually, im not sure if I would be entitled to a free prescription or not. Maybe the entitlements would be worth finding out (will have a look tomorrow)

I could tell by the "tone" of your post you meant no offence, something most people on here would probably agree with.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Travel vaccines are preventative medicine. There is logic in that by giving the injection free, it saves money on treating people who return from abroad with diseases that need long term care.

I agree that the conditions for free prescriptions is sometimes unfair. My Dad has an underactive thyroid and has had free prescriptions since it was diagnosed in his 40's. He works full time and only needs one pot of tablets every month.

My Grandad was forced to take early retirement due to ill health. He had massive heart problems and ended up having a bypass, plastic heart valves and a pacemaker fitted. He was on literally a carrier bag full of medicine a month, but he had to pay for that out of his pension, until he reached 65.

I still don't understand why Dad gets his prescriptions free, but Grandad had to pay.
    Here I go again on my own....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport