The 9 year plan...hold onto your hats and here we go!

Options

Comments

• kissjenn
    kissjenn Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi EH,

Congrats on the PPI and ISA. I claimed back 2 years for OH fortnight ago because he'd sold the house and the cover it was covering back then. And I got a two year refund on the contents insurance for the non-existance house. Given as he'd signed on the dotted line for every cross sell HSBC could muster it's a bit poor that they don't detangle when a house is sold. even poorer than OH never looks at his bank statements. Ashamed to say I have now confiscated them all and the incoming mail. He is too blind now to read them so we'll pretend that's the reason and he's chuffed to bits he never has to do money again.

On washing machine my dad used to run a washing machine repair shop and his advice to me is always buy the lowest spin speed you can get. Your clothes are still well spun be it at 500 or 1200 revs per minute. The reason is it doesn't wear out the bearings, faster the machine, faster you'll have to replace bearings. Very boring - I'm sorry - but thought you might like to know.

Oh and Petplan gone to the great kennel in the skye (sorry bad pun). Got double the cover at 60% of price + cashback at MoreThan.
    :A Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Marcel Proust :A
  • taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Options
    Never knew that about the spin speed on WMs but it makes total sense.
    Enjoy your weekend away.
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    It's one of those things EH, always seemed to happen to me that way. Good tip on the washing machine as well.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Scottishmummy
    Scottishmummy Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I had read somewhere before not to run the washing machine at its highest spin speed so as not to wear it out. Buy the best you can afford but run it at least 400rpm slower than its max.

EH about to head out to do some gardening but will take a look at your blog later. Thanks for the advice re the ferry's - didn't know that.
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    *waves* Just back from Devon - lovely weather and an excellent weekend.

That's a brilliant tip about washing machine spin speeds KJ - I'm glad I didn't go for the 1600rpm one now!

Think I'll go and catch up on what the rest of you have been up to!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome back and glad you had a fabby time.
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Devon is lovely, where did you manage to visit?
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MrEH's parents live in Dartmouth - on the South Devon coast. It's a lovely part of the country for sure - well worth the ludicrous length of time it takes to get down there - we left London at 5pm on friday and arrived down there at 11.30pm....bank holiday traffic! The lovely weather meant we got to spend most of Saturday on the river anyway - they have an elderly wooden dinghy by the name of Gloria, with possibly the worlds oldest and noisiest outboard motor! :rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Sounds idyllic, everytime i head for Cornwall..i don't want to come back. You did very well as i heard there was a really bad traffic jam around Exeter..you would think they would have finished adjusting the A30 by now! M4/M5 junction always bad too.
  • kissjenn
    kissjenn Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We lived "down south" for a few years and I'd never seen traffic like it! We see six cars up here and it's on the traffic update.

The boat sounds fabby, very Swallows and Amazons. Glad you had such a lovely break.
    :A Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Marcel Proust :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure