The 9 year plan...hold onto your hats and here we go!

Options

Comments

• Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You are doing really well, fantastic news about the PPI ( almost all of it anyway :rolleyes:) Bad luck on the washing machine though, no fun hand-washing for a family, is it?
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    1980.gifHi EH, found you on another board :hello:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    *waves* Hi Gally - yep, been here for a while....there seemed to be so much to my long terms plans ahead of actually paying off the mortgage I didn't quite feel that I belonged properly over on MFW. :o

Piq I'm really qauite cross with Northern Rock and their sneaky little tricks now...but as hyou say, better to get most of it than none of it! I shall go back to shopping around for the replacement washing machine before the current one expires totally....*sighs* boring boring boring......

Taxi - yep, the ISA was the first real target so nice to have achieved that. Have just been talking to MrEH about the next stage and it looks like being a Barclays regular saver which will be better for us than him getting an ISA.....miracle of miracles he's ALMOST taking an interest, too! :rolleyes:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Scottishmummy
    Scottishmummy Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi EH:hello:

I came over to the diary board planning on starting my own diary but have just spent an hour reading yours, purely for the fact you have hebridean in your name. DH and i love the west coast and would love to move over there at some point but can't see it happening for a long time. DH has been to the Outer Hebrides before but I have only made it as far as the Inner hebrides all be it almost every year for the past 12 years!. I am like you with the rounding of pennies at least in the savings account we use for car tax and emergencies. I am not bothered so much in the current account.

As far as washing machines go we had to buy a new one at the weekend. We got an Indesit at B&Q which at its original price was about £30 cheaper than Comet were selling it at but it was also a 10% off weekend which brought it down further. We could have got a cheaper machine but I wanted to get one I at least recognised the name of and it is AA+B rated.

Don't have stripey socks but am currently wearing purple stripey afghan slipper socks - do they count.

Must go read Fay's diary now as family originally came from Orkney (Eday) and I still have the odd distant cousin there. I mean 'odd' in both senses of the word:rotfl:. I might get my own diary started by the weekend.
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Very disappointed with Northern Rock doing that to you, another round of letters and more hassle, but it will be worth it.

Is washing machine repairable?
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Hi Scottishmummy - thanks for popping in. We fell in love with the Hebrides a few years back now, have been going back and back and back ever since! First trip was to Skye, then Mull, then the long trip across to Barra which we loved - since then we've visited North & South Uist (stay on NU most years now) Harris, Lewis, Berneray, Grimsay, Benbecula, Vatersay, Gt Bernera, Scalpay, most recent "new Island" was Vallay which is uninhabited and you have to walk across to at low tide.....we'd been wanting to go there for years and finally made it when we were over at Easter. I'm an Island-o-phile I think! The plan to move over there is something which has gradually taken shape over the last few years but it was only last year when we finally set the date to aim for.

Urgh - wretched washing machine. :mad: It's got to be a washer dryer really as although I don't use the dryer much I do like to have it to fluff up towels etc and drying stuff quickly in the winter. Bob I was umming and erring about a repair - it's the bearings have gone though and the chap I spoke to (repairman) said if it was more than about 8 years old - it is about that - then probably not worth it as chances are the motor would be next...... gut feeling is that we should bite the bullet and replace.....if I buy on my Egg card I get an extra year to the warranty too which is an incentive. Ho Hum. Got to make a decision.....!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Options
    All those places sound lovely EH..you'll achieve that dream soon with that sheer determination you have.
    Good luck with the deciscion re the washing machine.It probably would be better to buy a new one with the other being about 8 years old.
  • Scottishmummy
    Scottishmummy Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 19 May 2009 at 10:40PM
    Options
    Wow that's a lot of islands you've covered. Where we go on holiday depends on how much I save in £2 coins as that is what we use to pay the ferry fare. We usually end up in Mull as DS has made friends there now and wants to keep going back but I would like to try and add in Coll & Tiree this year but with only 6 more weeks of £2 coin saving I don't think we'll make it. We might wait until August though as I am on holiday again then and that would give us an extra few weeks.

Anyone know if any of the cashback sites do cashback on Calmac ferry fares?
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    We had that decision with our washing machine last year, but had the bearings and brushes done on it the previous year. So it did last a whole year after repair. When it started to make other noises had to replace, then the computer went and finally the boiler..think it was a white goods year last year.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • EssexHebridean
    Options

Anyone know if any of the cashback sites do cashback on Calmac ferry fares?

No to cashback I'm afraid. I've posted an idea on your thread re the ferry fares by the way - you might not be aware but the new Road Equivalent Tariff fares make the Outer Isles cheaper to travel to than the Inners now....would be worth taking a look at I should think! If you want to see some pics of the Outer ISles then have a look at my blog which is linked from my profile on here.....there are other links on to my webshots albums from there too. :D

Bob - ouch to your white goods year - hope ours don't follow suit!!

Will most likely not be about now until after the long weekend as we're off to Devon to see the (lovely) in-laws. Have a grand weekend all!
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business