Sciatica - how do you cope?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    mumoftwins wrote: »
    I will have to go back to the Doctors, and it will be today as I cannot take anymore of this not sleeping properly. At least if I could sleep I feel that I would cope more during the day :confused:

Lack of sleep is really difficult to cope with MOT, so do go back to the doctor to see if they can prescribe anything.

The trouble with sciatica is there is no way of knowing how long an attack will last, and of course, add lack of sleep to that and it really is an awful thing to suffer with :(

You have my sympathies.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both :D

Went to Drs this pm and she has prescribed me Tramadol and Temazepam (the latter ONLY to be taken if I have had a really bad night the night before, and she suggests only at weekends!!!), so tonight will have a couple of Tramadol and see if that helps :confused:.

Did manage 7.5 hours sleep in 2 stages last night and what a difference it made, I bounced into work like Tigger (well my personality did, my back can't take sudden movement!) :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope the tramodol helps , its made a huge difference to me and I certainly know if I miss a dose but I do definatly need the combination of the two drugs to get effective relief .

glad you slept better last night hope it continues for you.x
    I am journeying to a debt-free life.
    Our estimated debt-free date is January 2040. I'm on a mission to bring that date closer!
    16/02/23 debts - £9556.38
    emergency fund - £00.00
    debt-free diary - Time to Face the music and deal with this debt once and for all
  • Shomac
    Shomac Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tanith, just read your post.
    Ive had sciatica for ten years now & 3'slipped discs'. I cant get surgery and there is nothing can be done-believe me, ive tried.
  • pipkin71
    Options
    mumoftwins wrote: »
    Morning everyone,

I have really bad sciatica and wondered how you cope with it please? I have awful trouble just trying to sit comfortably on the settee to watch tv or just read/chat - I'm always fidgeting trying to get into a position which isn't painful.

At night I start off reasonably ok with a hottie against my back/hip/buttock, but as the night wears on I am woken with the awful nagging pain in my buttock and have to get up, so only manage about 4 hours sleep per night.

I take co-dydramol during the day and a slow release version at night. I have tried various other pain relief but none seem to get rid of the awful pain even the medication I take now doesn't seem to help for than 3/4 hours.

The advice I am looking for is how to cope really rather than medication as I know this is not allowed on the forum.

Thanks for reading.

Sciatica is awful :(

When mine is really bad, I find kneeling against the sofa and lying with my top half on the sofa, helps :o

I try not to sit too much when it is nagging as that can pinch the nerve and cause further pain to it.

Unfortunately, it's night-times which are worse for me too, and I don't manage to sleep much, so will read this thread with interest :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • pipkin71
    Options
    :o:o:o

Didn't realise I had already posted in this thread before :D

I'm blaming the medication :o
  • Brassedoff
    Brassedoff Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    :o:o:o

Didn't realise I had already posted in this thread before :D

I'm blaming the medication :o

It's does that to me too.

As for the other posters, I would always look to getting an MRI done. Beg, borrow, steal (well, don't steal) to get one. The longer it is undiagnosed, the longer it takes to have the op done.
  • when_will_it_end
    Options
    hi all

i have read this post with interest
    its 11 months for me now and im off work on the sick again
    i take zapain and ibrophen (sp)
    im deffinatly going to push for an mri scan i have had an xray that did not show anything but in saying that i know people who had 3 an then an mri an then 3 lots of surgery

i have tried different med tramadol naproxix and a few more but they just dont seem to agree with me

the best thing i have done tho is invest in a good materess it is not memory foam it is orthapedic foam a cheaper version if you like but its very good

some one mentioned different pillows depending on the way you have to sleep i have to move mine arround dependent on how i sleep so it is maybe something to try

i did see a chiropractor and i do believe it helped a little but it was paid for off a family member i can not afford it myself due to time off work

hope every one sleeps well xxx
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did suffer with sciatica and eventually spinal surgery cured it but in the meantime my physio taught me a couple of excercises that really helped it might be worth anyone who is suffering for a referral for some physio... just a thought
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure