Sciatica - how do you cope?

Options

Comments

• Merry_Gentry
    Merry_Gentry Posts: 3,627 Forumite
    Options
    Big (((HUGS))) honey - I so know the 4 hours sleep syndrome - it's ruddy awful :( Hope you won your auction, and definitely buy a couple more ice packs - it pays to have a spare.
    Get free advice before embarking on bankruptcy: CCCS 0800 138 1111 National Debtline 0808 808 4000
    Business Debt Line 0800 197 6026 CAB Insolvency Service- 0845 602 9848
    "He who laughs last didn't get it!" :rotfl:BSC 134

• sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mumoftwins wrote: »
    Sunnyone, what is this special cushion you use please?

Glad to hear that you have got over the pain of sciatica Tanith, I'm about to go to bed and try for a good night's sleep :confused:

Many cushions are available with cutouts for the base of your spine but I use a lowzone with is anatomically shaped for me and its memory gel so its very comfortable.

I can sit comfortably for the first time in years and for more than 2 miniutes. I`ll look up a link for my cushion.

sunnyone
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    Many cushions are available with cutouts for the base of your spine but I use a lowzone with is anatomically shaped for me and its memory gel so its very comfortable.

I can sit comfortably for the first time in years and for more than 2 miniutes. I`ll look up a link for my cushion.

sunnyone
    Thanks sunny, that would be very helpful.

Well, just awake after another shift of sleep - 2.5hrs! I am so sick of this, I feel that I am missing out on so much ie: should have been able to go for walk along the canal in this lovely sunshine but can't walk more than a few yards without being in constant pain.

Sorry for being a misery :confused:

But on a brighter note - yes, I won the ebay auction and we are collecting the suite on Tuesday - and no, I'm not lifting it ;)
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • mrscb
    mrscb Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had decompression in October after having traction,physio etc.....still got pain and having sleeping problems so have been referred to pain clinic...I take codeine phosphate,diclofenac and paracetomol.Doc says next thing would be morphine type but as got kids and do school runs etc im not too sure....
    :beer: Am thinking of a new one:beer:
  • clairelj72
    Options
    I am 4 days post op after a micro discectomy, i have had 6 months plus of sciatica pain uncontrolled with tramadol, co-dydramol, voltarol and amytriptyline.
    I had to go privately to get an MRI after reading some research re quick diagnosis and the surgeon stated that no amount of physio, chiropratoring or osteopathy would take away my pain! I had spent a fortune on these!

So he recomended surgery and WEIGHT LOSS! i am about 3 stone over weight and although i lost a stone before my surgery he has made it clear that for a good surgical result i need to get to a healthy weight asap!

I am not in much pain since the surgery, although it is dificult to tell as i had the worst pain when sitting and driving which i can't do for the next 2 weeks.

I hope you can get yourself sorted and find a good orthopedic spinal surgeon who can shed some light on it for you.
    Pre-op i found amytriptilyne and tramadol together gave me a reasonable sleep.

Take care

Claire
  • teachergirl
    teachergirl Posts: 767 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dear mumoftwins .It sounds like you might be feeling a bit better. Lets hope so. My gp told me when I first went that sciatica can just go away on its own , I hope that is the case for you. The post about the cushion think reminded me ,I bought a special cushion off of e-bay. Mine is made of memory foam and it is basically like a L shape,part of it supports under your buttock and the other part your spine. I use it in the car all the time as this is something I still find very uncomfortable. They can cost up to £70 but I was very lucky and found someone selling one they had bought but never used and I got it for just £17.
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
  • teachergirl
    teachergirl Posts: 767 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sorry for last post I forgot to update the thread. Good luck for sleep tonight.
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
  • heathmic1
    Options
    I to have sciatica and rampant facet joint oesteoritis,been told surgery wont help, had the nerve block injections and facet joint injections(god they are painful) but sadly no help,so now i just have to keep trying medication,i wish all us who suffer with it could have some painfree days just to be able to do all the normal things in life,dont get me wrong i know there are people out there far worse than us but when its bad its really bad,and the sleep thing drives me mad ,best wishes to all others who suffer with this maybe one morning we may wake up pain free.
  • Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Might be worth investing in a TENS machine. They're really cheap these days and whilst not a magic cure, do offer some relief. Think anything is worth trying when you're in pain. Good luck and hope you gain some pain relief very soon.
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    Hi teachergirl and all,

Had a particularly bad day on Sunday/Sunday night and wasn't sure if I could go in to work, but I did and felt better for it as pottering around and doing my job actually took my mind off it and eased the pin.

When I came home yesterday I made sure that I didn't actually sit for very long and was up and around just 'faffing' really - anything to avoid sitting down! In the evening when I wanted to watch tv I brought my computer chair into the lounge and sat in that with my feet up on the end of the settee! It was quite comfy really.

I iced my back several times too and took ice pack with me to bed to watch 'Hell's Kitchen'. Had a reasonable night and woke at 4.45am so 6 hours kip - yaay!!!
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport