Sciatica - how do you cope?

Options

Comments

• Merry_Gentry
    Merry_Gentry Posts: 3,627 Forumite
    Options
    Nice one on getting that bit more sleep - amazing what 6 hours kip can do for you :D
    Get free advice before embarking on bankruptcy: CCCS 0800 138 1111 National Debtline 0808 808 4000
    Business Debt Line 0800 197 6026 CAB Insolvency Service- 0845 602 9848
    "He who laughs last didn't get it!" :rotfl:BSC 134

• sassy17
    sassy17 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    hi-

glad to hear things are letting up for you- hope it continues.

I have had 2 lots of surgical decompression, 11 years ago and 16 months ago- thought i was done with sciatica- lost 2 stone and got quite fit. Then all started again 2 months ago.

I am really fed up- been off sick from work for weeks, cant drive, can hardly walk, and the pain is awful. I have had an MRI scan last week but apparantly the picture was obscured by scar tissue so will need another with dye in my spine. The doc has just given me Morphine as the tramadol not helping enough. Was reluctant but just need some relief and to get a bit more mobile!

It is hard to keep positive and happy. The only saving grace is that OH is off work (made redundant) so is home to get kids to school etc.. of course that generates its own problems financially, but at least i am still on full pay for now. am trying not to feel too sorry for myself as i know i am nor the only one. Is hard though!
    sassy
    Every day is a gift
    Some days it is just harder to see it than others.
  • tenacioust123
    Options
    I'm still suffering from the dreaded Sciatica, I had a fusion on L4/5 just 18 months ago, not even sure if it was the right thing to do.

I now have nerve damage to my right thigh and right foot which means I have foot drop, just waiting for a foot brace (No shorts for me this summer). I still have loads of pain in my back too. I take a long list of medication Parecetomol, Tramadol, Gabapentin, Diclofenac, Omeprazole and Oramorph, which doesn't always deal with the pain.

Back pain and sciatica are awful and I feel very sorry for anyone that has to deal with it.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can recomend Bu Trans patches for constent non drowsy pain relief 24/7, they are @20x stronger than morphine, there are stronger patches available for the really bad time, they are Fentanly (sp) which are @80x stronger than morphine.

I used to wake up needing the loo and I couldnt get out of bed to go but with patches I can.

sunnyone
  • Sparkkee
    Sparkkee Posts: 495 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has suggested this (just skimmed, sorry!) but can i suggest getting a fit ball (also called a Swiss Ball) to sit on during the day? I've had it on and off for about 12 years now and I find it really helps, as you can't sit still on it.

Also, if you are going back to work, make sure you have a proper chair to sit on. There is nothing that will make it worse than a chair which doesn't give oyu proper support at the right angles.

Sorry I can't be more help - it's the most excruciating thing I have ever experienced and you have my deepest sympathies.

Sparkkee
    Oo==Murphys' No More Pies Club Member #156==oO
    Oo== Weight 1/1/08 14st2lb =O= Target Weight 10st =O= Weight 23/01/09 12st10lb==oO
  • tenacioust123
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    I can recomend Bu Trans patches for constent non drowsy pain relief 24/7, they are @20x stronger than morphine, there are stronger patches available for the really bad time, they are Fentanly (sp) which are @80x stronger than morphine.

I used to wake up needing the loo and I couldnt get out of bed to go but with patches I can.

sunnyone

Funnily enough I don't get drowsy :rotfl: Occasionally I get a little tired, the worse side effect I get is nausea and stomach pains, which my doctor thought might be an ulcer, luckily It's not I had an Endoscopy and all was ok. I have also put on a bit of weight, I think that is because of the gabapentin.
  • Gino13
    Options
    150mg of Lyrica twice a day works for me, it's a painkiller that works specifically on the nerves - but everyone is different, a TENS machine also helps.
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    Had 2nd visit to Chiro yesterday and I can notice a slight improvement! I am still icing the area a few times a day, particularly before bed, and am now creeping up to 5 hours continuous sleep from 4.5hrs, have been having to get up after 5hrs because of the pain but find I can go back after about 45mins and sleep again for another 3/4hours which is great!
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,338 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad to hear things are slowly improving for you :)
    Beautiful weather here today & I am looking forward to meeting Ampersand on Tuesday :)
    Take care xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Glad to hear things are slowly improving for you :)
    Beautiful weather here today & I am looking forward to meeting Ampersand on Tuesday :)
    Take care xx
    Have a lovely time Beanie, she is one very special lady!
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport