Sciatica - how do you cope?

Options

Comments

• mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    mazza111 wrote: »
    aww hon, good luck with it. Nothing worse than losing sleep due to pain.
    Thanks maz, my family think I'm awful cos I sleep so much in the day ( maybe a couple of hours) but I just can't get by otherwise!
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Options
    Everything crossed for you MoT :A (except legs of course :o)
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck!
  • tattoed_bum
    tattoed_bum Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    hi ,with the tens i use the pads two on my lower back just at the bum and two on my ankles it does seem to help me ,i have been using mine on my shoulder as well lately as it's starting to effect my arms now ,
    i tend to lean on my not so sore side a fair bit but have found sometimes sitting on a hard chair can help a little ,on saying that today has been hellish and i cant get comfy at all the pain is actually making me feel sick ,

hope you can get something to help soon
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    I understand from my osteopath friend that if you have sciatica you are far better either standing up or lying down than sitting, which can make it worse.
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all, been to Chiro this pm who said that I am very inflammed around the lower part of my spine and the muscles all around are really tense. She gave me some treatment which did help and has advised me to use an icepack for 20 mins every 2 hours for the next 5 days. I have another appointment to go next Friday.

She explained everything so well and I now understand what has happened to my back/hip.

There is still a long way to go but I have felt some relief already - just hope I sleep :mad:
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hope things work out for you ...

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm so pleased you are pro-active in your sciatica and it gets sorted out quickly. Please let us know how you get on?
  • Merry_Gentry
    Merry_Gentry Posts: 3,627 Forumite
    Options
    mumoftwins wrote: »

There is still a long way to go but I have felt some relief already - just hope I sleep :mad:

Really hope you managed to get some sleep.
    Get free advice before embarking on bankruptcy: CCCS 0800 138 1111 National Debtline 0808 808 4000
    Business Debt Line 0800 197 6026 CAB Insolvency Service- 0845 602 9848
    "He who laughs last didn't get it!" :rotfl:BSC 134

• teachergirl
    teachergirl Posts: 767 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dear mumoftwins my sympathy goes out to you. I have been there done that got the t shirt and I know how horriable it is. The advice people have given you is all good and it is a question of what works for you. Tens never worked for me but you can pick up a machine on e-bay. Keeping moving is right but we all have to sit or lie down at sometime. In the end I had surgery and it transformed my life. I still get it back occassionally but nothing like as bad as before. Noone has yet mentioned memory foam matteresses. They provided a lot of relief for me. There is a very well known brand that we bought(we had to borrow the money off my parents) but it was worth every penny. It is still as good now 7 years later as it was then. They take a bit of getting used to because they can feel quite warm but go and try one out in a bed centre before you fork out. They can feel strange because it is harder to turn over but this also means you do not accidently roll onto the most painful bits which then wakes you up. If you suffer from a back problem you can actually get it VAt free but I do not know if I am allowed to mention where from.
    Good luck and remember you arn't alone.
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure