»

The Great 'Job Based Discounts' Hunt

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

The Great 'Job Based Discounts' Hunt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
138 replies 142.3K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
Everyone knows about student discounts, but there are also hosts of discounts for other vocations too, doctors, teachers, nurses, builders, electricians the works. So I thought I'd tap MoneySavers collective knowledge to find what's out there that others should know about

What to Do?

Click on the reply button below this post and let me know what your profession is and where you can get the discount. Preferably these need to be nationwide stores rather than local discounts.
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• clarewclarew Forumite
    496 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Members of the rcn, royal college of nursing can get discounts on various shops via their website. It lets you buy vouchers at a discounted price(some 5%off, some 7.5% some 10% off) for outlets including:
    john lewis, kingfisher (woolworths,comet,b+q), high street vouchers (loads of shops including iceland,wilkinson), pc world, earnest jones,whitbread (beefeater) and many other food outlets.

If you've a big spend (ie;diy/fridge freezer etc) it does add up. In true moneysaving style, i even persuaded my hubby to let me get the vouchers when i had chosen my engagement ring! (we were students at the time, and £80 saved by doing this was a big saving!!)

-nhsdiscounts.com, is another way to save-again various special offers you can use, once registered.
    nhs staff also can get costco membership for £25 plus vat, (need to show recent wage slip)

Hope this is of some use. :j , some money saved, but these discounts don't justify the rubbish wages we get!
    Original mortgage 185k. 2003
    Current mortgage. 65k Jan 2020
    OP £321/month-Aiming to finish August 2025 instead of October 2028 (whilst keeping the 4 dependents fed,watered,clothed,sheltered and paying for school/activities paraphernalia):rotfl:
  • jassi_9jassi_9 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    mum works for the council- care worker (birmingham)

dad has been made redundant after 34 years of service (midlands co-op dairy closed down!!, this week)

any idea's for discounts for my mum??

anything to be suggested for dad??!! ( he is getting some redundancy money, but at 55, i dont want him to work again) i know i could get some more help from the government, but how??

cheers guys
  • lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
    25.3K posts
    JASSI9

ask if your mum might qualify for localauthoritydiscounts.com

My employer also a council is part of the scheme, In fairness the discounts could be found better elsewhere like Quidco or something, but they are there. theres also a discount scheme with UNISON ( dont know much about it, but caravan holidays definately feature!) if they are members of that its worth having a look at.

Hope this helps x
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • rabialionesrabialiones Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    royal mail workers get discounts for argos goods thru absoffers site.
    Nice to save.
  • safesoundsafesound Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Somerfield staff get 20% off at Peacocks and Bon Marche (as well as the 10% off in Somerfield itself)
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • mulhuismulhuis Forumite
    17 posts
    Please be wary with discounts for nurses. I am also an RCN member and you can find far better discounts using this site. Remember companies are tied into the RCN like Liverpool Victoria and their loans and credit cards can be easily bettered. Also check NHS Discounts. We were bored on nights once and sellected items from their site then used search engines from this site and generaly got much better prices. One TV was £400 less using this site. I am sure they do have bargains but do your research first.
    Regards
    Terry
  • sir_monstersir_monster Forumite
    688 posts
    Met Police Employees

We have something called 'MetBenefits' similar to the BT thing as we can get discounts on shopping/leisure vouchers - including Boots where half my wage seems to go to, thanks to this site!!!!! Think it varies from around 2.5% at supermarkets up to 10% for leisure vouchers.

Also get discounts on holidays, car hire, health clubs and laser eye treatment (ultralase)
    Thomas born 28/08/2010 weighing 5lbs and 4ounces, small but perfectly formed :j:j Now weighs 19lbs and 5 ounces
  • MiddlersMiddlers Forumite
    509 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Nationally we get half priced pizza from Pizza Hut when wearing uniform.
    Middlers
  • Middlers wrote:
    Nationally we get half priced pizza from Pizza Hut when wearing uniform.

Unfortunately not a police officer, but do work for them so don't get discounts at Pizza Hut. Not sure if they still do it but used to get discount at Nandos if member of emergency services, including police officers.
    Thomas born 28/08/2010 weighing 5lbs and 4ounces, small but perfectly formed :j:j Now weighs 19lbs and 5 ounces
  • Cat72Cat72 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    mum works for the council- care worker (birmingham)
    Council workers get discounts at local council gyms failities etc like golf courses.

My other half is a firefighter they get discounts at some of the hilton hotels- cant drag any more info thanthat out him !! Does Pizza hut apply to him ??