The Great 'Job Based Discounts' Hunt

Comments

• andy_5-2
    andy_5-2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    A discount is available to "Emergency Services" employees at Domino's pizza.

I cannot remember exactly how much, I've a funny feeling it may be as much as 20%, maybe less.

I've claimed this discount several times over the last couple of years (almost never in uniform) in at least two different outlets and I think only been asked for my ID once.

Most employees don't know of this deal & end up asking the manager about it.

I've never seen any documentation relating to this discount but I've always got the discount when I claimed it.

I hope this info is still up to date as I've not touched pizza in 6 months - trying to shed a few pounds!

:money:
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    jassi_9 wrote:

dad has been made redundant after 34 years of service (midlands co-op dairy closed down!!, this week)

anything to be suggested for dad??!! ( he is getting some redundancy money, but at 55, i dont want him to work again) i know i could get some more help from the government, but how??

cheers guys

Jassi - I work for an occupational benevolent fund and we are members if The Occupation Benevolent Funds Alliance (OBFA) - an umbrella organisation for 80 plus usch organisations. We have launched a website at https://www.joblinks.org.uk and if your dad (or anyone else) goes into the site and types in his occupation it will come up with a list of charities that may be able to offer some financial support - the one that springs to mind is The National Dairymans Benevolent Fund (type 'dairy' in the search engine for their details) Good luck
  • Bargainbabe_2
    Bargainbabe_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    What about civil servants?!
    "There are no pockets in a shroud..."
  • If you can prove that you are a student or a teacher then you can pick up a copy of Microsoft Office XP for almost half price from any retailer of Microsoft applications.
    The rules say that if you are studying you can use the software on up to 3 machines but it cannot be used for commercial purposes.
    I am an adult education officer for a charitable organisation and my photo ID card was sufficient proof for PC World to give me the discount.
  • megsykins
    megsykins Posts: 210 Forumite
    I know it's not quite a 'job' but along a similar line, if you are a Scout leader, then Blacks and Millets will give 10% discount on production of a Scout record book or other evidence of Scout group membership, not sure if this applies to Guide leaders as well though.
    (Blacks may also give discounts on some items for D of E entrants on production of a logbook, as they are official sponsors and supporters of the Award.)
  • ambersam wrote:
    If you can prove that you are a student or a teacher then you can pick up a copy of Microsoft Office XP for almost half price from any retailer of Microsoft applications.
    The rules say that if you are studying you can use the software on up to 3 machines but it cannot be used for commercial purposes.
    I am an adult education officer for a charitable organisation and my photo ID card was sufficient proof for PC World to give me the discount.

if you are a computing student you can get xp for free, as well as a variety of other software packages, the Microsoft Developers Network Academic Alliance, ask your tutor to find out more about it-thin each uni has their own link.

with regards to the dominos pizza, as an ex employee, all emergency services get 20% on delivery although you need uniform or id such as a warrant card. i *think* though am not sure it may go up to 50% for collection.
  • BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Dabs.com
    Cost price products
    £50 gym membership - saving over £200
    Free BUPA health insurance - family can be included at a nominal price
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~ :A
  • wannabe
    wannabe Posts: 402 Forumite
    Teachers get a countdown discount card if they are members of the NUT and although it is not great it does get a little discount. Check out the NUT site. I would love to know of others though as well.
  • ultrak3wl
    ultrak3wl Posts: 471 Forumite
    100% discount on anything in a shopping mall (whilst wearing a hoody.)

"No but seriously folks" I am not convinced of these job-related discounts. I work for a large multinational and the huge range of employee discounts on our internal website looks stunning at first. As it happens part of my job meant evaluating the benefit to employees so I tried to check out as many as possible at random and in detail and I have to say they are not very good. If you were going to pay full retail price anyway then I suppose a few "exclusive" quid off is better than nothing but paying full whack does not sound to me like the people on this board!

Most of them seem nothing more than mild discount in return for referrals but the worst ones are packaged government schemes such as where an employer can sell you e.g. a bicycle (to encourage cycling to work) or a computer tax-free. They are certainly not profit-free however and the PC deals I saw did not compare to those seen on an average week on Shop But Don't Drop or Grabbit. And that's with no tax so really don't know how that one works I'm afraid.
    [size=+2]I MSE[/size]
  • nessquic80
    nessquic80 Posts: 328 Forumite
    im a auxilliary nurse in the nhs
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!:T

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts