PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chinese food

Options

Comments

• Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    Sunnyday wrote: »
    It says here that you can buy both http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=2

Not sure where would stock them before, i`ve never noticed them on supermarket shelves but then again i`ve never looked specifically for them.

If you find them anywhere please post as i may give them ago myself, hubs loves them.

SD
    hi Sunnyday :)

you can get the dried Mexican black beans in Tesco & Sainsburys, I think in the wholefood aisles, they're sometimes called Turtle beans

be careful when soaking them though, the liquid becomes very dark & if it gets splashed on anything can make a bit of a mess!
  • missminx007
    Options
    I've got a whole duck in the freezer that i wanted to use for maybe duck in plum sauce or crispy duck, i saw the recipe calls for 2 boned halfs, do you think it matters if they a\re boned or could i lop it in half and do the recipe that way? or has anyone got a plum sauce recipe?
  • beedeedee
    Options
    Had crispy duck and pancakes as a starter for a dinner party last night! Bought a frozen whole duck complete with bones from our local chinese supermarket. The instructions called for it to be deep fried for 8 mins when defrosted and although a bit sceptical, it worked. Pulled it apart using two forks to get the shredded effect.
    The plum sauce was one I'd made and frozen last year when someone had given me a load of plums and all the guests have asked me for the recipe - trust me it's deliish.......

3 onions
    2 red chillies
    4 garlic cloves
    50g fresh root ginger
    (Finely chop all of the above)

2.5 Kg plums, stoned and quartered
    1 litre white wine vinegar
    250g brown sugar
    200ml soy sauce
    good pinch of cinnamon or cinnamon stick
    3 star anise

Put onions, chillies, garlic, ginger, plums, vinegar and 300ml water large pan and simmer for 20 mins.
    Sieve in batches pushing through with a wooden spoon to extract all the pulp and liquid.
    Return the strained liquid to the pan with the sugar, soy sauce, cinnamon and star anise, then simmer uncovered for one & half hours till thick.
    Remove the cinnamon stick (if you used one) & star anise, pour into sterilised jars and store.
    Once opened - it can be frozen if necessary.

Of course you can reduce the quantities - I initially used a third of them.
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    Ok just tried to make the chicken and sweetcorn soup but I'm doing something wrong, I used the exact amount of ingredients but 100ml doesn't seem enough water at all, I don't have a soup but a really really strong tasting sauce with some sweetcorn and chicken.

Anyone tried this and know what I'm doing wrong? I've thrown some more water in. Also it looks nothing like what you get from the chinese :/
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    Sunnyday wrote: »
    It says here that you can buy both http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=2

Not sure where would stock them before, i`ve never noticed them on supermarket shelves but then again i`ve never looked specifically for them.

If you find them anywhere please post as i may give them ago myself, hubs loves them.

SD
    I think the black beans used for chinese cooking are fermented, salted and in a can. The dried or canned black beans above, are regular ones, like you use in mexican cooking etc
    hope this helps :)
    Swan wrote: »
    hi hopeful,
    definitely not a stupid question :)

it's very confusing all the different kinds of beans & the different ways they're prepared

hi hotcookie,
    you're right, they're quite different & not interchangeable

well you could try it, but I don't think you'd get the result you want :D

Really helpful guys, very grateful. Going to do some research and pop to supermarket tomorrow

Have a good weekend

HHx
  • baby_fuzz
    baby_fuzz Posts: 699 Forumite
    Options
    Ok just tried to make the chicken and sweetcorn soup but I'm doing something wrong, I used the exact amount of ingredients but 100ml doesn't seem enough water at all, I don't have a soup but a really really strong tasting sauce with some sweetcorn and chicken.

Anyone tried this and know what I'm doing wrong? I've thrown some more water in. Also it looks nothing like what you get from the chinese :/

There are two different types of Chicken Sweetcorn soup. The one that I'm more used to, uses Creamed Corn:
    http://shop.waiyeehong.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=0&keyword=cream+corn

You basically cook it all together, and stir in a beaten egg to give you the little strands.

If you don't have access to creamed corn, from what I remember, someone on this thread just used a blitzed can of standard sweetcorn:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=725601&highlight=chicken+sweetcorn+soup
  • missminx007
    missminx007 Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    beedeedee wrote: »
    Had crispy duck and pancakes as a starter for a dinner party last night! Bought a frozen whole duck complete with bones from our local chinese supermarket. The instructions called for it to be deep fried for 8 mins when defrosted and although a bit sceptical, it worked. Pulled it apart using two forks to get the shredded effect.
    The plum sauce was one I'd made and frozen last year when someone had given me a load of plums and all the guests have asked me for the recipe - trust me it's deliish.......

3 onions
    2 red chillies
    4 garlic cloves
    50g fresh root ginger
    (Finely chop all of the above)

2.5 Kg plums, stoned and quartered
    1 litre white wine vinegar
    250g brown sugar
    200ml soy sauce
    good pinch of cinnamon or cinnamon stick
    3 star anise

Put onions, chillies, garlic, ginger, plums, vinegar and 300ml water large pan and simmer for 20 mins.
    Sieve in batches pushing through with a wooden spoon to extract all the pulp and liquid.
    Return the strained liquid to the pan with the sugar, soy sauce, cinnamon and star anise, then simmer uncovered for one & half hours till thick.
    Remove the cinnamon stick (if you used one) & star anise, pour into sterilised jars and store.
    Once opened - it can be frozen if necessary.

Of course you can reduce the quantities - I initially used a third of them.

Thats brilliant, thank you so much for taking the time to post. Do you know if it matters what colour plums, I currently get mine from the market and he generally has the yellow or deep red/purple coloured ones. So you just chuck the whole defrosted duck into some oil for 8 mins???
    I'm looking forward to trying this!!! Would you brown the duck pieces first then stir in plum sauce and simmer do you think? I wonder if i could chop it in half and do both crispy and in plum sauce :)
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 March 2011 at 9:01AM
    Options
    No it doesn't matter what colour plums - mine were a bit of a mixture. The sauce will become a lovely dark red colour as it reduces down.

My deepfryer wasn't big enough to put the whole defrosted duck in at once, so I cut it into four pieces, but yes, just chuck the duck into the oil for 8 minutes. I have used some in the past that needed to be put in the oven instead...just check the instrucions on the bag.

It was a frozen duck from a Chinese supermarket and I think they are maybe part cooked/prepared before being frozen?

I remember once looking to see how crispy duck is made from scratch and I think it involves boiling the duck as well .... I decided it was too much trouble and have always bought the duck from the supermarket.
  • Kung_Fu_Cook
    Options
    Brilliant thread

Apologies in advance if a stupid question - how do I buy black beans? Dried? Do they come in a can? Any advice appreciated!

HHX

Hi, just thought I would add that the black beans you want are actually fermented/preserved soy beans. The preserving process turns them a black colour. In mandarin dialect they are called "dou chi". If you want the chinese characters that you can print off to take to the store they are -

豆豉

What you will most likely find are "Yang Jiang Preserved Beans With Ginger" these can either come in a tin or a paper carton with a sealed plastic bag inside.
  • pixwix
    pixwix Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    About 30 years ago, I was a regular at a Chinese restaurant in Newcastle upon Tyne. It's no longer there, nor am I. One of the chef's specialities were small thin crepes/pancakes. The were delicious both as wrappers and flavoured on their own. I was even allowed to see how they were made. Unlike the normal Chinese pancakes (which I also love) they were made in a small square steel pan - about 4 inches by 6 inches by 2 inches deep, with a handle on one narrow end. The other end sloped upwards, and there was a spatula (steel I think) that exactly fitted the width. Just a spoonful of the egg mixture (the content of which I wasn't told!) was spread quickly across the bottom of the hot pan, and the resulting thin layer immediately scraped towards the far end and onto a plate - so thin it cooked in a couple of seconds. The result was a kind of delicious wrinkled crepe. Clearly a lot of it was technique. Although I have a very decent Chinese restaurant in my area, they've never heard of this (though their pancakes are great), and I've never seen it done since back then. I've even searched for a pan to try it myself, but again no-one seems to have heard of them (there isn't a Chinese grocer around here). I'd probably have more success if I could remember what the crepes were actually called, but I can't. Has anyone seen anything like this? I'd love to buy one of those small pans and have a go. I've got nowhere with Google, etc - I might have more success if anyone knows what I should actually be looking under.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure