PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chinese food

Options

Comments

• furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fish sauce is another thing that smells awful, but really gives an oomph to any meat dish, but only a teaspoon or so. You can't imagine smelling so foul would add such a delicious flavour to your food.
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Options
    furndire wrote: »
    Fish sauce is another thing that smells awful, but really gives an oomph to any meat dish, but only a teaspoon or so. You can't imagine smelling so foul would add such a delicious flavour to your food.

so true! it's one of those things that you have to just ignore the smell and add it to your food as the results are worth it!
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And of course, the first thing you do when someone tells you a smell is awful, you just have to go and have a good old whiff!!!
  • mumto1_2
    Options
    Pretani wrote: »
    The recipe says to grate the zest and include the oranges, so it really doesn't matter if I grate some of the white stuff as the orange is going into the pot anyhow.

...as for the oranges they were normal eating oranges, big ones.

err, sorry but PSML! To do this: Zest the orange, then peel it/cut off the rest of the rind. Then put the zest - orange bit only - and the flesh in to the sauce. Leave the white part out completely.

And you can use arrowroot powder to get a clearer thickened sauce instead of cornflour. It's sold in chinese food stores.
  • mumto1_2
    Options
    Chinese black beans are different than the dried ones found wiht the dried beans + legumes! They are fermented usually.
  • baby_fuzz
    Options
    demented wrote: »
    Hello all. Just another question. I wanted to make some Sesame Prawn Toast, went to the local Chinese supermarket to buy some Shrimp Paste, as i hadn't got any prawns at home. Anyway i bought some Thailand no 3001 Shrimp paste. Toasted the bread, spread on the Shrimp paste, ( which smelt like off Cat food)
    pressed in the sesame seeds and then fried toast in the wok. The result was awful.. smelly and very salty. Has anyone used this Shrimp Paste before? I think that i should have done something with it but as there is no instructions i thought that all i had to do was spread it on the toast. Has anyone got any ideas please. sorry about the waffling on.
    No offence; had a little chuckle at this!:D
    As per raspberry - shrimp paste is stinky stuff used sparingly as a condiment. prawn toast is made by mincing up (raw) prawns, sometimes with some pork and slapping it on some bread.
    Just had to comment, as you made my day.
    Again, no offence intended.:o
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Bump............just because I want to book mark it. :p
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • queenpig
    queenpig Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    Would anyone be able to send the link to the Chinese cooking/recipe thread that was made a few months ago, I've looked and can't find.:rolleyes:
    Thanks in advance :D
    Grocery Challenge. £400. - £35.22 + £19.80 + £109.01 = £164.03
    Other spends (Clothes Luxuries etc)£11.97 + £1.19 + £7.36 + £69.00 + £38.50 + £5.50 + £23.00 +£2.00 = £158.52:shocked::sad:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I'll add your post to the thread so that it comes onto the front page of OS again ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • queenpig
    queenpig Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    I'll add your post to the thread so that it comes onto the front page of OS again ;)

Penny. x

Thank you:T, I've book marked again lost it when I reinstalled windows.
    Grocery Challenge. £400. - £35.22 + £19.80 + £109.01 = £164.03
    Other spends (Clothes Luxuries etc)£11.97 + £1.19 + £7.36 + £69.00 + £38.50 + £5.50 + £23.00 +£2.00 = £158.52:shocked::sad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure