PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chinese food

Options

Comments

• 4suzie
    4suzie Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What a fantastic thread I love Chinese food thank you so much kwaichi :T
  • crakerjacker
    Options
    Hi

Great thread, I love it.

Do you have a recipe for chicken in OK sauce please?
  • Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    Brilliant thread

Apologies in advance if a stupid question - how do I buy black beans? Dried? Do they come in a can? Any advice appreciated!

HHX
  • attentionseeker1
    Options
    Does anyone know how to make Chinese salt and chilli squid like you get as a starter in a Chinese restaurant? I realised that squid is actually quite economical to buy from the supermarket, even preprepared, whereas the dish costs 5 pounds from our local Chinese. I gave it a go using a a cornflour coating and sliced spring onions/chillies but it seemed floury and bland without the light crunchy coating the Chinese does...
  • invisiblegirls
    Options
    this is a great thread i would love to know how to make orange chicken and also chinese spare ribs i would just like to say thanks to kwai your my hero
    hope you can help with these recipes carnt wait to get cookin

I use chings recipe from channel 5 for my ribs, stunning results http://www.five.tv/shows/chinese-food-in-minutes/recipes/sweet-and-sour-wuxi-ribs
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    Wow I can't believe I've never seen this thread before!

Especially the chicken and sweetcorn soup, I realise it's only £2 from the local chinese but this will be even better and cheaper yay. Also my little ones dad LOVES chinese curry sauce, he'd save a fortune if I could make this and I would save by not buying a chinese lol.

Many thanks to Kwai for his effort :D
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    Brilliant thread

Apologies in advance if a stupid question - how do I buy black beans? Dried? Do they come in a can? Any advice appreciated!

HHX

Bump

Can anyone help please?

HHx
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bump

Can anyone help please?

HHx

It says here that you can buy both http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=2

Not sure where would stock them before, i`ve never noticed them on supermarket shelves but then again i`ve never looked specifically for them.

If you find them anywhere please post as i may give them ago myself, hubs loves them.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    I think the black beans used for chinese cooking are fermented, salted and in a can. The dried or canned black beans above, are regular ones, like you use in mexican cooking etc
    hope this helps :)
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant thread

HHX
    hi hopeful,
    definitely not a stupid question :)

it's very confusing all the different kinds of beans & the different ways they're prepared
    I think the black beans used for chinese cooking are fermented, salted and in a can. The dried or canned black beans above, are regular ones, like you use in mexican cooking etc
    hope this helps :)
    hi hotcookie,
    you're right, they're quite different & not interchangeable

well you could try it, but I don't think you'd get the result you want :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business