PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Chinese food

Options

Comments

• dee72_2
    dee72_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much for the recipes - great!!

Just a quick question though - where can I get cornstarch to make the crispy shredded beef? Is that the same as cornflour?
    yep same thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_starch
    New year resolution give up smoking. gave up 1/1/10 at 2pm
    lasted so far
    :j
  • Marsh_Samphire
    Options
    This thread is fab! I'm really looking forward to trying out your recipes Kwai, thank you for taking the time to post them!
    Marsh Samphire
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes thanks for all your help and time on this.

As soon as I'm paid I'm a going to be stocking up and cooking lots from this thread (it's over 18 months since I had Chinese food) - as well as finding out when my friends are next visiting wing yip supermarket so I can give them my requests ;):D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • silverchair
    silverchair Posts: 937 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Can't wait to try some these recipes.
    Thank you Kwai!
  • shazba
    shazba Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Kwai i love chinese food but can only sometimes afford so thanks to you i will ba able to have this more often and i was hoping you would have a recipe for salt and chilli wings/spare ribs? Have tried to make these before but never ended up right lol so am hoping you can help.;)xx

Thanks in advance.xx
    My goal this year is to be more orginised and start leading a healthy life.xx
  • Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options
    Hey again Kwai :D

Just a quick question, was just wondering if you can freeze these recipes? There is only one of me :(

I could make a batch of Kung Po and freeze it if so :)
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • kwaichi
    kwaichi Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    newlywed wrote: »
    Can we have a chicken satay recipe please? :D

Although not originally a chinese dish, satay is extremely popular all over asia and among chinese populations here and australia (and probably other places too) It's pretty simple to make and is usually a starter/party/snack food in chinese restaurants.

CHICKEN SATAY

There are 2 components of satay, the meat on the skewer and the peanut sauce. Both are very simple.

The Chicken:
    Thinly slice a rolled out chicken thigh fillet (slice horizontally so the chicken is in flat slabs)
    soak in a marinade of
    2 tablespoons of soy sauce (kikoman C00039)
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    1 teaspoon of extra hot chilli flakes
    1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
    1 teaspoon of sesame oil

Marinade as long as possible then weave onto a skewer and grill/barbecue until cooked through.

The Sauce:
    In a saucepan mix up 4 tablespoons of peanut butter with 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce (kikoman C00039) and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Heat gently and stir together.

Add the hot sauce onto the the chicken to finish or leave it as a dip on the side.

Kwai
    Kwai Chi
    Professional Video blogger
  • BLUis
    BLUis Posts: 773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just discovered this thread! Cant wait to try out some of the recipes that you have put on here already. I'm sure I will be requesting some recipes soon!

Thanks so much!

:rotfl:
    Married the absolute love of my life on Sunday May 6th and I couldnt be happier!!!
  • kwaichi
    kwaichi Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    rocketdog wrote: »
    Can you give us a Hot and Sour soup recipe please?

What is known in takeaways and restaurants as Hot & Sour soup is usually actually Tom Yum soup (or a derivative) which is really popular in asia. Like most soups it's pretty easy to make - it's all about the prep!

TOM YUM SOUP

Pop the following into a saucepan with 1.5 litres of cold water:

1 knorr chicken stockpot pot thing
    4 tablespoons of tom yum paste
    200g of sliced button mushrooms
    400g of King Prawns deshelled and gutted
    1 teaspoon of finely chopped lemon grass
    1 chopped spring onion
    3 chopped birds eye chillis (or more if you like it really hot)
    1 tablespoon of lime concentrate
    4 tablespoons of fermented fish sauce
    1 teaspoon of sugar

Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir throughout and you'll be left with a great tasting soup to entice your tastebuds!
    Kwai Chi
    Professional Video blogger
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think Kwai has been sooooooooo generous with his time & know-how that I'm going to nominate his first post on here (where he invites us to ask him) POST OF THE MONTH:beer::T

Anyone else up for this???:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family